• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio P452 Purifi Based Stereo Power Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_Photo

Any idea if I could trigger/turn on this power amp when I switch my Cyrus 8.2 DAC (amplifier) on? I'd plan on using the Cyrus as a Pre. I know Cyrus has an MC-BUS but I'd imagine that's proprietary and couldn't be used to wake up the March Amp @March Audio?

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Any idea if I could trigger/turn on this power amp when I switch my Cyrus 8.2 DAC (amplifier) on? I'd plan on using the Cyrus as a Pre. I know Cyrus has an MC-BUS but I'd imagine that's proprietary and couldn't be used to wake up the March Amp @March Audio?
I'm afraid I don't know the details of the Cyrus bus so can't comment.

The P452 trigger can accept an input voltage between 3 and 18 volts to operate. However we can make a modification to allow the amp to switch on at mains power application (defeatable) which would allow you to use external mains, control plugs.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
While waiting for my P452 to be shipped, curious to confirm if my use case for powering on/off would work - I have a remote-controlled power outlet and given that P452 has a touch power switch would it work to turn it on and off by powering on and off the power outlet? In other words - if I have the amp turned on and unplug from power source would it turn on if I plug it to the power source (or it would require the power button to be pressed too)?

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
While waiting for my P452 to be shipped, curious to confirm if my use case for powering on/off would work - I have a remote-controlled power outlet and given that P452 has a touch power switch would it work to turn it on and off by powering on and off the power outlet? In other words - if I have the amp turned on and unplug from power source would it turn on if I plug it to the power source (or it would require the power button to be pressed too)?
You would normally need to press the touch button, or get a trigger input. It defaults to standby (amp off) when mains power is applied. However there is a mod I can do to allow you to select between default to off or on at mains application.

Please email to discuss.

cheers

Alan

Matt_Photo

I'm afraid I don't know the details of the Cyrus bus so can't comment.

The P452 trigger can accept an input voltage between 3 and 18 volts to operate. However we can make a modification to allow the amp to switch on at mains power application (defeatable) which would allow you to use external mains, control plugs.
Thanks for confirming. I put a post out on a Cyrus forum and pretty sure their MC bus will not work with other kit, I'm not that surprised.

Alan one other question and clearly this goes back to me having Cyrus kit. The P452 is wide and narrow. Would there be anyway the case could be rotated so it was more like your others, narrow and long with connections at the back? I know it's also unlikely, but if you were able to do that I'd be happy to pay extra for the modification. It's just the only gap I have left in my rack is narrow and longer like Cyrus kit.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Thanks for confirming. I put a post out on a Cyrus forum and pretty sure their MC bus will not work with other kit, I'm not that surprised.

Alan one other question and clearly this goes back to me having Cyrus kit. The P452 is wide and narrow. Would there be anyway the case could be rotated so it was more like your others, narrow and long with connections at the back? I know it's also unlikely, but if you were able to do that I'd be happy to pay extra for the modification. It's just the only gap I have left in my rack is narrow and longer like Cyrus kit.
To design and manufacture a single case would be very expensive. If you need a narrow case it would be far cheaper to buy 2 P451 monoblocks and stack the on top of each other assuming you have the height.

Astroboydivx

Hey all, I’m no audiophile really but my Kef LS50s are really enjoying my P452 that I received last week. Great service and workmanship by Alan. The speakers really have more grip than when powered by my marantz AVR.

I can’t wait to receive a rel t5i subwoofer I’ve bought from another supplier to finish my build for now.

Matt_Photo

To design and manufacture a single case would be very expensive. If you need a narrow case it would be far cheaper to buy 2 P451 monoblocks and stack the on top of each other assuming you have the height.
Yes that would make sense, annoyingly I do not have enough height to have two stacked either. I'll look to see if there is any way I can shuffle any of the kit around to free up any more space!

Matt_Photo

Can you put the mono amps next to the speakers, they look small enough to hide.
Thanks Soniclife, I hadn't actually thought of that, I had planned on putting it on the middle shelf where the Chord Qutest is currently sitting. I could have a P452 sitting on top where the Bluesound currently is but i'm not sure the Mrs will appreciated too much kit sitting on top so trying to limit it to one unit. Otherwise it could go under the unit where the PS4 currently is, but I would like to get something a bit more solid to sit it on rather than the carpet but that would also be an option.
Hifi CloseUp.jpgHifi Full.jpg
Also please excuse the dust and the fact the units aren't perfectly aligned but I was trying to stop our kitten squeezing onto the shelf in the gap (it didnt work)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Soniclife, I hadn't actually thought of that, I had planned on putting it on the middle shelf where the Chord Qutest is currently sitting. I could have a P452 sitting on top where the Bluesound currently is but i'm not sure the Mrs will appreciated too much kit sitting on top so trying to limit it to one unit. Otherwise it could go under the unit where the PS4 currently is, but I would like to get something a bit more solid to sit it on rather than the carpet but that would also be an option.
View attachment 86383View attachment 86384
Also please excuse the dust and the fact the units aren't perfectly aligned but I was trying to stop our kitten squeezing onto the shelf in the gap (it didnt work)
It looks like mono amps could be fairly well hidden behind your speakers.

It's a shame speakers don't come with some sort of universal bracket on the back, so amps could be attached to the back of them, and almost disappear.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
View attachment 86383View attachment 86384
Close to the speakers is the best option from technical POV as you can use short as possible speaker cables. This with longer interconnects is a better option than the other way round, but tbh from your pictures the speaker cables are short in any case.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
It looks like mono amps could be fairly well hidden behind your speakers.

It's a shame speakers don't come with some sort of universal bracket on the back, so amps could be attached to the back of them, and almost disappear.
Shouldn't need a bracket. @Matt_Photo could just place them front face down and they would be hidden behind the speaker

Use the trigger functionality to turn them on and off remotely

P122 shown below

20201006_192141.jpg

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Shouldn't need a bracket. @Matt_Photo could just place them front face down and they would be hidden behind the speaker

Use the trigger functionality to turn them on and off remotely

P122 shown below

View attachment 86386
Your case design with the trigger does lend itself to that. Only thing left to do is wrangle the cables neatly.

Matt_Photo

Thanks @March Audio and @Soniclife that's a very good option and really appreciate the help. Out of interest, Alan, how long is shipping to the UK taking at the moment?

I actually think I could mount them behind the TV unit in each corner by each speaker. I wonder if I could buy or fabricate a bracket to securely hold each amp in place. Or possibly get just the P452 and mount it on the back of the TV unit. I'm going to have a play around with a few options tonight and see if I can find a good placement for either the P452 or P451's.
I've just spotted my Bluesound Node 2 has a 12v trigger so that could be an option, I just need to check at what point it would trigger.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Thanks @March Audio and @Soniclife that's a very good option and really appreciate the help. Out of interest, Alan, how long is shipping to the UK taking at the moment?

I actually think I could mount them behind the TV unit in each corner by each speaker. I wonder if I could buy or fabricate a bracket to securely hold each amp in place. Or possibly get just the P452 and mount it on the back of the TV unit. I'm going to have a play around with a few options tonight and see if I can find a good placement for either the P452 or P451's.
I've just spotted my Bluesound Node 2 has a 12v trigger so that could be an option, I just need to check at what point it would trigger.
We have about a 2 week lead time at the moment, working hard to reduce it :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom