• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best AV Processor under $3k? Lexicon MC-10, Anthem AVM 60, or something else?

cbrents73

Audio Company
Thank you Chris!

I did manage to update the software, I feel rather smug about it.

But I was afraid dealing with ARC Genesis. The MRX520 was set up by the dealer using a PC. I only have Macs. Also, the router is in a different room and I don't have an ethernet cable long enough. Can I connect the ethernet straight to my Mac?

Thanks, you were very helpful!

Great question - with ARC Genesis, you can actually use Mac Computers - couldn't with ARC2. I'd recommend a WIFI extender and run a short ethernet to the Receiver from it if you don't have or want to get a long ethernet cable. Running the ethernet cable from your computer to the Receiver will not work. That does work with our STR Pre and Integrated, but not with the AVR's. Having the receiver hooked up on your network will also allow you to use our Control App where you can run/operate the receiver with your phone - I assume you have an iPhone - here's the link for that:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/anthem-remote/id1132341848

cbrents73

Audio Company
Great question - with ARC Genesis, you can actually use Mac Computers - couldn't with ARC2. I'd recommend a WIFI extender and run a short ethernet to the Receiver from it if you don't have or want to get a long ethernet cable. Running the ethernet cable from your computer to the Receiver will not work. That does work with our STR Pre and Integrated, but not with the AVR's. Having the receiver hooked up on your network will also allow you to use our Control App where you can run/operate the receiver with your phone - I assume you have an iPhone - here's the link for that:

Also, I meant to tell you I can give you tips on Microphone placement to better your ARC Results when you want to try doing that yourself. There is a "Demo Mode" in ARC Genesis that you can play with to see what functions there are and all the things you can alter without having it connected to your unit to experiment with. We try to do as much training as we can for our Dealers, but we're finding that some of them are still not setting up the mic's properly to give the best results.

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Also, I meant to tell you I can give you tips on Microphone placement to better your ARC Results when you want to try doing that yourself. There is a "Demo Mode" in ARC Genesis that you can play with to see what functions there are and all the things you can alter without having it connected to your unit to experiment with. We try to do as much training as we can for our Dealers, but we're finding that some of them are still not setting up the mic's properly to give the best results.

Fantastic!

My Apple TV does have an ethernet connector. Will that work?

Vasr

Major Contributor

Perhaps, you can post a couple of bullet points with tips that help anybody. Would be useful for many if they aren't aware of it. Many of us have had to learn by trial-and-error.

On a related note, I really should compliment your ARC team on having one of the best set of heuristics for Auto EQ results and a good UI for computer based software for non tech-geeks. Out of all the ones I have tried REW, Dirac, Audyssey, etc. ARC has never needed much tweaking manually to get significantly better results unlike the others.

Last edited:

CtheArgie

Forum Donor

There are TWO Anthem remotes on the Apple store. Can you confirm which one I need?

cbrents73

Audio Company

Attachments

• Anthem Control App.jpg
    Anthem Control App.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 134

cbrents73

Audio Company
Perhaps, you can post a couple of bullet points with tips that help anybody. Would be useful for many if they aren't aware of it. Many of us have had to learn by trial-and-error.

On a related note, I really should compliment your ARC team on having one of the best set of heuristics for Auto EQ results and a good UI for computer based software for non tech-geeks. Out of all the ones I have tried REW, Dirac, Audyssey, etc. ARC has never needed much tweaking manually to get significantly better results unlike the others.

Thank you for the compliment - they're a wonderful Team - you can read the history and science behind ARC here:
https://www.anthemarc.com/advanced-topics/the-history-of-arc.php
https://www.anthemarc.com/advanced-topics/the-science-of-arc.php

ARC is measured around the listening position. Pardon my crude drawing on the screenshot...
ARC Genesis will walk you through where to place the mic in a perfect room, but to know How to place the mic and also place it in unconventional rooms is crucial.

For quick Bullet Points on Mic Placement if your seating position is like how illustrated in the photo:
  • First Position
    • Mic should be set at ear height in or near the main seating position
    • This captures the main image of the room
    • If the back of the chair/couch is higher than your ear, make sure the mic is above the back of the seat cushion so that it's not obstructed
  • Position 2-5
    • Doesn't matter which way you go with the mic, you can follow the diagram as it walks you through in Genesis, you just need to remember which position was which if you do not follow the diagram.
    • Place the mic 2 feet out from the Center in an "X" formation around Position #1 like I attempted to illustrate in the Screenshot
    • Change the height of the mic going 1-2 feet lower or higher than ear height and alternate that at each mic position.
    • If the mic is raised at position 2, go 1-2 feet lower than ear height at position 3.
    • Keep the mic at that height and go to position 4 following the Genesis diagram.
    • Then raise the mic 1-2 feet above ear height for position 5
    • Again, all positions 2 feet out from position 1
For Couch Against the back wall:
  • First Position
    • Place mic at ear height 3 Feet out from the wall in line with the center/main listening position
  • Position 2-5
    • works just like above except you're moving in a W or M form (whichever way you look at it) instead of the "X" Pattern
For a big Multi-Tier Theater Room:
  • Essentially do two "X" Patterns
    • ARC can go up to 10 Mic Positions
    • We recommend 5 for most areas/rooms
      • I have never used more than five positions in any room I've demoed in at trade shows or Dealer Showrooms.
      • You still measure your "X" around the "money seat" in a big theater and then do the same thing behind that picking which row you want to work from depending on how many rows there are.
This is a pretty crude explanation, but again, I can clarify if needed. Hopefully this gets people closer to nirvana with great consistent results.

Attachments

• ARC Mic Placement - 2020-09-30 14.05.18_LI.jpg
    ARC Mic Placement - 2020-09-30 14.05.18_LI.jpg
    938.1 KB · Views: 382
  • ARC Back Wall Mic Placement 2020-09-30 14.05.18_LI.jpg
    ARC Back Wall Mic Placement 2020-09-30 14.05.18_LI.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 477

cbrents73

Audio Company
Fantastic!

My Apple TV does have an ethernet connector. Will that work?

No, the Ethernet on an Apple TV is an "in" not an "out". Wired connections give data faster than over WiFi and is why it has the Ethernet port on it - just like on a Blu-Ray Player.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@cbrents73 ... welcome. Always great to see folks from manufacturers. When is Anthem planning on releasing their new receiver to replace the current line? The STR Integrated and seperates look and perform fantastic and am looking forward to your new line of AV receivers and processor.

Vasr

Major Contributor
For Couch Against the back wall:
  • First Position
    • Place mic at ear height 3 Feet out from the wall in line with the center/main listening position
  • Position 2-5
    • works just like above except you're moving in a W or M form (whichever way you look at it) instead of the "X" Pattern

Thanks. The above scenario is a common one for apt/condo/townhouse dwellers and typically not covered in any instructions all of which assume McMansions.

Of course, 3 ft out from the back wall in the same situation takes it out that much closer to speakers (typically 8-10 feet from MLP and less in some situations). It also takes it further away from the side surrounds which would affect the level balancing at MLP. So, it has never been clear to me what would be optimal to split the distance between speakers and back wall to take measurements.

I have never tried it 3 ft out from the back wall (typically about a foot away from the wall where the nose might be). Will do some experiments to see how it changes the measurement and correction.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Then, I am screwed.....

:-(

Not entirely. :) I have used ARC over Wifi from a laptop. Note that you don't need to have it connected after the correction is measured and uploaded to unit.

You have two options with a simple gizmo (I find it useful to keep one of these at home as they come in handy at times for various reasons) you can buy in most places

If you already have good Wifi coverage at home, you can get a Ethernet to Wifi bridge that will convert your unit with Ethernet port into a WiFi client that can connect to your home WiFi network and so make the unit available for use with ARC Genesis running on any computer on that home network. It will automatically find it.

Alternatively, you can get a portable WiFi router that plugs into a power outlet for its power and has a Ethernet out. You connect your unit to that using an Ethernet Cable and connect your wireless laptop or computer to the WiFi network set up by this plug. Apple used to make one of these a long time ago, don't know if they still do. Super simple to set up a temporary local network and use between one Ethernet device and one or more WiFi devices.

cbrents73

Audio Company
Thanks. The above scenario is a common one for apt/condo/townhouse dwellers and typically not covered in any instructions all of which assume McMansions.

Of course, 3 ft out from the back wall in the same situation takes it out that much closer to speakers (typically 8-10 feet from MLP and less in some situations). It also takes it further away from the side surrounds which would affect the level balancing at MLP. So, it has never been clear to me what would be optimal to split the distance between speakers and back wall to take measurements.

I have never tried it 3 ft out from the back wall (typically about a foot away from the wall where the nose might be). Will do some experiments to see how it changes the measurement and correction.

Sometimes it's trial and error...I say go closer to the wall than to the speaker, because that's where you sit. ARC gets a more accurate read from the room when it has less wall interaction, but when you sit next to a wall, that has to be taken into account. Try to stay 1-2ft from wall in the much smaller spaces.

The good thing is, if you don't like it, you can always go back. Save your first file in a Doc Folder so that you can reload it later if you don't like the results.

cbrents73

Audio Company
Not entirely. :) I have used ARC over Wifi from a laptop. Note that you don't need to have it connected after the correction is measured and uploaded to unit.

You have two options with a simple gizmo (I find it useful to keep one of these at home as they come in handy at times for various reasons) you can buy in most places

If you already have good Wifi coverage at home, you can get a Ethernet to Wifi bridge that will convert your unit with Ethernet port into a WiFi client that can connect to your home WiFi network and so make the unit available for use with ARC Genesis running on any computer on that home network. It will automatically find it.

Alternatively, you can get a portable WiFi router that plugs into a power outlet for its power and has a Ethernet out. You connect your unit to that using an Ethernet Cable and connect your wireless laptop or computer to the WiFi network set up by this plug. Apple used to make one of these a long time ago, don't know if they still do. Super simple to set up a temporary local network and use between one Ethernet device and one or more WiFi devices.

This was what I was going to suggest next - Great advice - thanks!

CtheArgie

Forum Donor

Thanks!

I bought a long ethernet cable to do the set up. Then, I disconnect it and just run if rom wifi. Hope this will work. So far, the remote is not "recognizing" the Anthem.

This will become interesting soon.

cbrents73

Audio Company
@cbrents73 ... welcome. Always great to see folks from manufacturers. When is Anthem planning on releasing their new receiver to replace the current line? The STR Integrated and seperates look and perform fantastic and am looking forward to your new line of AV receivers and processor.

Thanks for the welcome!

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to ask this...:facepalm: :)

Newman

Major Contributor
....and you don’t need to answer. It’s actually an unfair question. It’s not your job to be a company leak. In fact it would more likely end your job.

I can’t believe people have the audacity to put a helpful rep on the spot like this in public.

cbrents73

Audio Company
....and you don’t need to answer. It’s actually an unfair question. It’s not your job to be a company leak. In fact it would more likely end your job.

I can’t believe people have the audacity to put a helpful rep on the spot like this in public.

It's really no big deal...
However, yes, we could lose our job over it.
Last summer I did accidentally leak out our MDX Distribution Amps to the press when we were at a Conference showing those products to our Dealers. She said she was only videoing me so that she didn't have to take notes. Yeah, she put the video out all over the internet to have the "Breaking News" story on a new product in our industry. She could have easily taken a photo of our banner we had out in the hallway, I just made it easier for her with the video - learned my lesson on that. Fortunately it didn't impede anything, it just made it awkward with our competition getting wind of our product before some of our Dealers did. Distribution Amps don't have panache like a typical consumer, or Audiophile type Amplifier does - it's more important to Dealers who are installing whole home audio or multizone commercial jobs than what the general public would be interested in. That's why it wasn't as big of a deal when it leaked, it was a new product category for us so it didn't kill sales of any existing product. For people who want background music throughout the house, backyard, business, or to run Atmos channels in a theater room, they are tremendously great sounding/performing, and flexible amps for lots of different purposes.

Thank you for coming to my defense, I appreciate it. It's all good!

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's really no big deal...
However, yes, we could lose our job over it.
Last summer I did accidentally leak out our MDX Distribution Amps to the press when we were at a Conference showing those products to our Dealers. She said she was only videoing me so that she didn't have to take notes. Yeah, she put the video out all over the internet to have the "Breaking News" story on a new product in our industry. She could have easily taken a photo of our banner we had out in the hallway, I just made it easier for her with the video - learned my lesson on that. Fortunately it didn't impede anything, it just made it awkward with our competition getting wind of our product before some of our Dealers did. Distribution Amps don't have panache like a typical consumer, or Audiophile type Amplifier does - it's more important to Dealers who are installing whole home audio or multizone commercial jobs than what the general public would be interested in. That's why it wasn't as big of a deal when it leaked, it was a new product category for us so it didn't kill sales of any existing product. For people who want background music throughout the house, backyard, business, or to run Atmos channels in a theater room, they are tremendously great sounding/performing, and flexible amps for lots of different purposes.

Thank you for coming to my defense, I appreciate it. It's all good!
Definitely didn’t intend to ask for info that would ever put someone’s job in jeopardy. I do look forward to their new receiver lineup when it comes out as you guys are making some great performing and innovative products. Look forward to what comes next. Thanks again for your presence here.

Top Bottom