• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introductions anyone?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
For clarification, NWC stands for the Naval War College. Two time graduate of that fine institution.
Welcome NWCgrad, Did you attend in a civilian or military role?

NWCgrad

Welcome NWCgrad, Did you attend in a civilian or military role?

I did the fleet program as a junior officer (03) in New Orleans (pre Katrina) and the senior course for 23 months in Newport, RI as a Commander. Getting ready to retire in around 26 months.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I did the fleet program as a junior officer (03) in New Orleans (pre Katrina) and the senior course for 23 months in Newport, RI as a Commander. Getting ready to retire in around 26 months.
Great, love having other military people here
US Army Infantry, First Cavalry Division 1969-1976 Should have made it a career.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I recently joined the forum, after lurching for quite awhile. I am a scientist by training (molecular microbiology) and profession. I failed miserably in college as an electrical engineering student, luckily I found a science I could understand.

I have spent the last few years assembling a rather nice home theater, but nothing audiophile approved (dbx DSP, Crown amplification, and 250 lb main speakers built with JBL Pro drivers. Now I am re-gaining interest in two channel systems (but will not ever consider using non-active speakers).

Love the tone of this site, I follow many different sites but am finding myself drawn to this site due to the people and ports.

I am an objectivist in work, hypothesis driven research is second nature 20+ yrs I to my career. With audio I like to turn off the critical mind and relax to music. It's all about the music!!!!
Thanks for introducing yourself and welcome:)

Gidday all.
I found this group via google after getting a tight neck from the audio groups on facebook. I have no formal training in audio. What little I know comes from being in bands and setting up/tuning my car and home systems. Hoping to learn more from you good folk.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Welcome aboard...

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi--

I'm a former frequent WBF poster who has been lurking here for a few weeks. I'm interested in listening to the Vienna Philharmonic perform in the Musikverein, not in listening to vacuum tubes, so, for me, the desideratum of this hobby is realism, not the stranger, commodity-fetishist objectives of some of our fellow travelers.

Last edited:

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
... I'm not a great fan of Shakti Stones, clever little clocks, wooden boxes of dirt with wire terminals on the back ("grounding devices"), products manufactured by Synergistic Research (or the aptly named Schiit), or the various USB "filtering" products that non-engineers have been selling. ...

Welcome. What don't you like about Schiit Audio products? (Best answered in another thread.)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Don Hills

Reactions: j_j

itisljar

Hello!
IT guy who (I think even more than) 15 yrs ago got bored with Winamp's inability to play gapless and found foobar2000. Around that time found HA for solving my FB2k problems, and learned more about lossy and lossless audio in a month than ever before. Since then, got fed up with my audiophile acquaintances and their mumbo-jumbo solutions for my audio related problems, learned the science way for detecting and resolving them, and been happy ever since.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hello and welcome to the forum. Boy, those are some cool glasses! :)

Winamp brings memories including meeting the kids behind it wanting a lot of money to sell it to us. We said no and they went to AOL and sold it to them.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Hello!
IT guy who (I think even more than) 15 yrs ago got bored with Winamp's inability to play gapless and found foobar2000. Around that time found HA for solving my FB2k problems, and learned more about lossy and lossless audio in a month than ever before. Since then, got fed up with my audiophile acquaintances and their mumbo-jumbo solutions for my audio related problems, learned the science way for detecting and resolving them, and been happy ever since.
Welcome, their all quite mad here but informative and on rare occasions even entertaining. Make yourself at home :)

tim_j_thomas

Hi all writing to introduce myself.

I'm 51, married for 26 years with an 18 year old daughter (first semester at University of Michigan studying Bio/Chem) and a 16 year old son (interested in computer science). I have a BS in Applied Mathematics & Computer Science & an MS in Computer Science. I spent ~20 years in the auto industry, moved to defense for 10, and am now back in the auto industry.

Started down the "audio train" some 25 years ago. Primarily listen via headphones to classical, classic rock, and blues. When nobody is home I will listen to speakers, usually pulling out some old vinyl.

I'm here to learn.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

-Tim

iridium

Hi--

I'm a former frequent WBF poster who has been lurking here for a few weeks. I'm interested in listening to the Vienna Philharmonic perform in the Musikverein, not in listening to vacuum tubes, so, for me, the desideratum of this hobby is realism, not the stranger, commodity-fetishist objectives of some of our fellow travelers.

Having heard a lot of systems and invested in a few of my own, I have become convinced that the path to realism is through active, digitally corrected loudspeakers and DSP technologies on the horizon--particularly BACCH processing, which is the most extraordinary audio technology that I have heard. I'm not a great fan of Shakti Stones, clever little clocks, wooden boxes of dirt with wire terminals on the back ("grounding devices"), products manufactured by Synergistic Research (or the aptly named Schiit), or the various USB "filtering" products that non-engineers have been selling.

I hope I'm on the right forum.
_____

Living in Central London at the moment and running KEF LS50s with a Devialet 120 and HiFiMAN HE-560s with a Mytek DSD-192.

Currently running Windows for music playback on a custom server with a cheap Gustard U12 USB interface (not because the USB interface significantly improves the sound but because of its superior driver stability).

I'm American and will use an American-sized system when I return to the States.

Welcome.

I would not be so hard on "wooden boxes of dirt"; you might be amazed at the wonderful vegetables & flowers that many grow in "wooden boxes of dirt".

iridium.

Top Bottom