• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

We measure audio equipment for free!!!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, you read the title right. If you have audio gear that you like to see objectively measured with professional equipment, we (I) may be interested in doing that for you and our readers.

There is so little objective data on equipment today. Even if you are not an "objectivists" it pays to contribute to gathering some data to weed out poorly engineering products of which, there are many. Electronic design and building of audio equipment has become much easier today, allowing so many unqualified people to get in the business and building potentially unsafe and non-performant equipment. It is important for data to show such poor practices. At the same time, there are also superbly designed equipment and they deserve standing out from the crowd and dust of all the other gear.

If you are interested in participating, all you have to do is "start a conversation with me" by clicking on my name/avatar and we can work out the logistics. Typical lead time from when equipment arrives is 4 to 5 weeks. Exceptions can be made which we can address in the conversation.

Note that there is some risk of gear getting lost, damaged, etc. The rate of this thankfully has been as low as 0.1%. Still, if you are concerned, you can use insurance to cover shipping losses (and I can do the same in reverse).

Also note that accommodating shipments from outside the US can be very difficult. Small items can be managed. Larger items, especially if they are low cost, don't make sense to send back and forth.

So let's join hands and work together to create a large and useful library of objective, reliable and repeatable data for users to make good decisions in purchasing audio equipment, and to guide manufacturers to build better products.

Speaking of manufacturers, I am more than happy to see them participate too and indeed a number have. I make no assurance whatsoever of happy outcome should you loan me the equipment. What I can promise is supporting you in troubleshooting problems that are revealed in my testing and review.

Thanks in advance for those of you who participate.

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Are the measuring tests certified by the audio community association? :)
Because if they are I would like to submit a new audio gadget.
Give me some time please ...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just computer/digital stuff?

Or are amps, phono stages, and speakers fair game?
Can't do speakers. Amps and phono stage are game. On the former I am just worried about the shipping cost due to weight. But for locals folks like you or smaller amps, certainly doable. Heck you could come over and we would do the testing together. :)

EDIT: this is all changed now. I test speakers and larger/heavier devices. I do have a 50 pound limit though as that is back breaking already.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Can't do speakers. Amps and phono stage are game. On the former I am just worried about the shipping cost due to weight. But for locals folks like you or smaller amps, certainly doable. Heck you could come over and we would do the testing together. :)

That could be in a matter of weeks. This weekend I'll be finally building the new audio table/ LP storage system (using Ikea knockoffs from Target!).

I'll have some Wyred 4 Sound IcePower Class-D power amps and ESS-based pre/DACs that I won't have any immediate use for (other than eventually selling them) that I could loan out. Both are models still in production and being sold.

Oh and some tube based phono stages for a total contrast....

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That could be in a matter of weeks. This weekend I'll be finally building the new audio table/ LP storage system (using Ikea knockoffs from Target!).

I'll have some Wyred 4 Sound IcePower Class-D power amps and ESS-based pre/DACs that I won't have any immediate use for (other than eventually selling them) that I could loan out. Both are models still in production and being sold.

Oh and some tube based phono stages for a total contrast....
Those would work well. We are going to take a trip to Oregon for the next few days. Let's sync up after that.

A.wayne

This is great news , so finally we get to see independent testing of all the super Class-D amplifiers ..

Someone please ship a Hypex NC400 with the big supply .

:)

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is great news , so finally we get to see independent testing of all these great super Class-D stuff ..

Someone please ship an Hypex NC400 with the big supply .

:)

I second that! I'm also theoretically undecided about the merits of the best class D vs. the best class AB.

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is wonderful, Amir! A big thanks for taking this on. Shame you are halfway round the world as I'd gladly send you my MAudio MTrack 8 dac - it costs even less per channel than the Berhinger.

A.wayne

What , no class-D 20Hz squarewave screen shots yet ..

C'mon Amir ..... :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Class D is actually hard to do. The Audio Precision Analyzer doesn't like the high frequency switching. They sell a filter for it but it retails for thousands of dollars!

But if you are asking for the switching waveforms, that is easy to do with my scope as that puppy runs at 500 Mhz! :)

A.wayne

So its the analyzer oscillating and not the amp when looking at those wonky measurements ? The last class-D amp i had here listening to started oscillating like crazy after disconnecting one of the legs to the ribbon tweeter...

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I may bring up another product category, that would endear you to the DIY community Amir: Digital crossovers and DSP boxes that may or may not include goodies like a dac. These have become increasingly common, either for running active speakers or for room correction. Various minidsp units, Behringer DCX2496, DBX Driverack PA2, DBX Venu360, Xilica, Hypex DSP/Crossover, etc. There are lots of anecdotal stuff going on at the forums concerning the merits of these (does the Minidsp 2x4 HD actually "blur" the sound, for example?), but so far I'm not aware of any serious measurements of these.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are people using the DSP boxes with analog output from them and digital/analog in? If so, sure, I am happy to test them. Which do you want me to go after first?

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's what I'm doing, at least! I'm using the DBX Venu360, so that's most interesting to me personally. But the minidsp 2x4 HD is much more widely used.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Boy that Dbx box is pricey! So I ordered the mindsp. Should be here on Friday.

Keep the suggestions coming everyone. Specifically I like to know what are the popular devices out there that lack objective analysis. Those of you who are active on other forums please post what you see is most talked about.

Top Bottom