• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reference Quality Electronic Music

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Here's my screed:
Pretty much all modern music is meant to be played loud. I know us audiophiles have done our part to rebel against it and have failed. So let's accept defeat and adapt to the world in which we find ourselves; not the world we pretend still exists.

Many folks erroneously believe that there's always a trade off between playing loud/dynamic and refinement. IOW, you have systems for 3 pieces jazz trios and different systems for modern music. IMO, we unwittingly find ourselves drawn only to the music which sounds best in our system. This state of affairs is undesirable because it narrows musical variety.

IME, systems can be designed so that all musical genre sound great, without compromise. Just imagine a system in which all recordings sound correct, even the ones we once thought were "bad recordings." Can we accept that there's no such thing as a "bad recoding?" All recordings were meant to sound the way they do for a reason. The artist is always sovereign in his/her artistic endeavor. It's up to us to figure out how to make their art come alive in our systems.

Michael.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Here's my screed:
Pretty much all modern music is meant to be played loud. I know us audiophiles have done our part to rebel against it and have failed. So let's accept defeat and adapt to the world in which we find ourselves; not the world we pretend still exists.

Many folks erroneously believe that there's always a trade off between playing loud/dynamic and refinement. IOW, you have systems for 3 pieces jazz trios and different systems for modern music. IMO, we unwittingly find ourselves drawn only to the music which sounds best in our system. This state of affairs is undesirable because it narrows musical variety.

IME, systems can be designed so that all musical genre sound great, without compromise. Just imagine a system in which all rec dont ordings sound correct, even the ones we once thought were "bad recordings." Can we accept that there's no such thing as a "bad recoding?" All recordings were meant to sound the way they do for a reason. The artist is always sovereign in his/her artistic endeavor. It's up to us to figure out how to make their art come alive in our systems.

Michael.
though i have two speakers and go down to 30Hz (bit of a hump down there) my system CAN play Bill evens with all his introspective beauty and power out modern recordings like macklemore, and infected mushrooms.. and sepultura. it does not discriminate. this is unusual as most 'audiophile' 'hifi' plays jazz and female vocal with some led zep.. it really cant cope with my varied taste. .. it breaks, literally BREAKS.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

TBone

Major Contributor
Can we accept that there's no such thing as a "bad recoding?" All recordings were meant to sound the way they do for a reason. The artist is always sovereign in his/her artistic endeavor. It's up to us to figure out how to make their art come alive in our systems.

You need to separate the artist from the "recording" ...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
:p the least powered krell rocked, well, until you got your hydro bill ...
yea the old ksa50 was ok for the novelty of its dynamics and guts but thats about it...

Hammer to crack a nut! springs to mind. its a one trick pony that will not give you music imo.

all that said the KAV amps are good cheap power for multi speaker setups HT and a like.

oh and lets see your electronica:p

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
That would hilarious in a hotel room. I'm listening to it off tidal and Roon. The lyric pop up comes in handy in this case.

you should though!!! this is the music that audiophile speakers just can't handle. so if your system can handle it then its a selling point imo. try this too, its fast and musical (deceptively so)

this is exactly what SHOULD be played at audiophile shows..if you want to highlight that your system can play music however fast powerful while keeping the musical drive.

TBone

Major Contributor
based on who's "definition" of bad recordings?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
do you really have a Belles?
yes i have a slightly modded pair of MB200 monoblocs. high dampening factor 2000+ low distortion THD and IM 0.005% class A\B single ended oh and 64 amperes to boot. driven by a high output (upto 30rms) pre amp.

makes all this electronica sound sexy.

Last edited:

TBone

Major Contributor
yes i have a slightly modded pair of MB200 monoblocs. high dampening factor 2000+ low distortion 0.005% class A\B single ended. driven by a high output (upto 30rms) pre amp.

makes all this electronica sound sexy.

nice!

TBone

Major Contributor
Is your experience consistent with the findings reported at this website? I ask not just for that band, but in general?

Yes & no ... it's an "open" db ... hence like anything else on the net, weeding thru is necessary. However, if it's digital based, w/sku# and track details confirmed & reconcilable ... it's proved quite accurate. It's also getting larger as people contribute ... but alas, that does'nt mean more accurate. The vinyl numbers are also sometimes wonky, and lossy stuff often measures far too high, cd's with pre-emphasis or HDCD are not noted properly, etc ete etc and ... well ... Ron ... the bottom line is, as it was so politely stated to me earlier, is the pr context ... growing ... + I've notice the admin there noting people to add more of the important details ...

Top Bottom