• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A50s Headphone Amplifier Review

raif71

Major Contributor
What is the line out voltage of the D50s in DAC mode? Is it 2V?

YSC

Major Contributor
Noise and distortion.
ic, can I learn about how much approximately that will amount in noise and distortion? I know this is kind of perusing the absolute best performance, but I somehow wonders the choice between say a chip based one which have perfect channel balance and maybe 100dB SINAD vs 120dB SINAD but with less than perfect tracking from both channels, maybe the channel balance will be more audible ?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
ic, can I learn about how much approximately that will amount in noise and distortion? I know this is kind of perusing the absolute best performance, but I somehow wonders the choice between say a chip based one which have perfect channel balance and maybe 100dB SINAD vs 120dB SINAD but with less than perfect tracking from both channels, maybe the channel balance will be more audible ?
20dB less 50mV SNR. Channel balance is as is. Overall, take it or leave it.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably, but I can't get rid of a feeling you're trying to please the panthers.

Yes, it seems we have entered the "designed for, announced and released on ASR" era... Not a bad thing in terms of performance I guess, but starting to feel a bit repetitive, given how often new models are released.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Note that XLR to RCA will never yield full 4V output unless you are using a 1:1 transformer or some kind of universal buffer that would carry over the full voltage to one pin. The XLR's hot and cold signal can't cross over to the one-pin RCA standard over a cable or an adapter.
I was about to ask as well. XLR to RCA would give 2V or so, right?

Tks

Major Contributor
SO first off, NICE.

Second, look at the distortion metrics, -10dB less than even Low-Gain 789. That's just insane. One thing I appreciate, is usable volume knobs. So thank you for not turning this into some insanely powerful amp for no good reason (I really don't understand what supposedly all these "power hungry" headphones are, that every amp review attracts someone that says an amp always needs more power). Also interesting to see those that need a bit more gain, aren't losing anything in terms of noise/distortion performance. Another thing I want to draw attention to, is that 50mW performance. To be perfectly honest, I don't care about max output performance much anymore, it seems like a thing many creators have caught on to, and are able to finally reach these high levels of fidelity, I am much more appreciating if massive decreases in output result in a massive dynamic range drop off, to which this thing doesn't, and actually takes the crown apparently, beating out the RME V1 DAC. Kinda odd how the V2 flops on this feature a bit with a regression.

All that's left of Topping is two devices, and they'll be straight up performance kings in totality.

My personal wish: A new DAC/AMP all-in-one, or better yet, a streamer/media player like the SMSL that just released. I know you said John; the profits plummit from devices like this, but a DX7 Pro refresh, or just a DX9 Pro with more features like I just mentioned, in the performance bracket you're able to create devices in now would just be perfection. I love the DX3 Pro Topping made, and I think one more shot at it, with John now in a more active design role would be so awesome.

Everyone else's wish: The long awaited power amp setting it's sight on the half-decade long reigning king, the ABH2. Not something I need personally since I'm on actives, but this has everyone on the edge of their seats.

Thanks bossman again for the great review.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
XLR to RCA would give 2V or so, right?
If you'd use a simple cable, definitely yes. just the XLR voltage cut into two. Never full 4V.
Edit: note that some cables will short half of the balanced output which can increase distortion or cause other problems.

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I hope that one day Topping can design a pre-amp with a high and low-pass filter. The low-pass isn't really a must, because most subwoofers have that, but a high-quality high-pass filter would be great. One high-pass output into my power amplifiers, and a low-pass to my subwoofers.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yes, it seems we have entered the "designed for, announced and released on ASR" era... Not a bad thing in terms of performance I guess, but starting to feel a bit repetitive, given how often new models are released.
Not necessarily designed for. (partially yes) But to be fair a lot of measurements don't look very good to me on ASR for example the 50mV SNR with noise amplifier we achieve 105dB. Also the distortion with load, it doesn't look better than others except for better noise performance. We can't see the distortion increase with load. That's where we actually shine. Honestly, schiit got 20dB more distortion with load but it doesn't really show that here.

And announcements wise, it's only because I was from here. ASR is basically where Iive in. I came in 2018 and it's the best place to be in. I shared other stuff before I came Topping.

And it's not really released on ASR, is it? It's available before the review and we can't buy it here right?:D

escalibur

It has been available on Audiophonics.fr for a week I think?

Nevertheless I think we are starting to chop hair by complaining about the results way out of our hearing capabilities. I wish the next move will to have the sub $200 DACs with such crazy good results as L30, A50s are having.

mshenay

Note that XLR to RCA will never yield full 4V output unless you are using a 1:1 transformer or some kind of universal buffer that would carry over the full voltage to one pin. The XLR's hot and cold signal can't cross over to the one-pin RCA standard over a cable or an adapter.

Seriously this... what good is a 4V in measurement if that's not something easily accessible to buyers? Yea I happen to have a Jensen 1:1 Transformer lying around but it's not 100% transparent sooo there's that... but I'm disappointed to not have any balanced inputs... if your running 4.4mm out why not also just run a pair of 3pin XLR ins? I mean P50 is quite LARGE so it doesn't seem like space was a concern when designing that... can't understand why this didn't at least have balanced inputs. Heck SP-200 has 3pin in even tho yea it's technically a single end amp.

It has been available on Audiophonics.fr for a week I think?

Nevertheless I think we are starting to chop hair by complaining about the results way out of our hearing capabilities. I wish the next move will to have the sub $200 DACs with such crazy good results as L30, A50s are having.

Ehh there's Schiit Modius that's pretty outstanding...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
To avoid confusion about power levels.

using the D50s DAC (2.0V 0dBFS) and the amp on high gain at max. volume setting (+6dB = 2x) in SE mode (6.3mm TRS) = 4V out.

32 Ohm = 0.5W
50 Ohm = 0.3W
120 Ohm = 130mW
300 Ohm = 50mW
600 Ohm = 25mW

using the D50s DAC (2.0V 0dBFS) and the amp on high gain (+6dB) at max. volume setting in Balance mode (Pentaconn) = 8V out

32 Ohm = 2W
50 Ohm = 1.28W
120 Ohm = 0.5W
300 Ohm = 200mW
600 Ohm = 100mW

(all rounded off numbers)

Max power when using a DAC with higher output voltage (> 3.8V) S.E. out = 7.4V

32 Ohm = 1.7W
50 Ohm = 1.1W
120 Ohm = 450mW
300 Ohm = 180mW
600 Ohm = 90mW

Max power when using a DAC with higher output voltage (> 3.8V) Balanced out = 14.8V and assuming no current limiting

32 Ohm = 3.2W
50 Ohm = 4.4W
120 Ohm = 1.8W
300 Ohm = 700mW
600 Ohm = 360mW

Consider most headphones require not more than about 200mW to play very loud.

Last edited:
Top Bottom