• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

desktop speakers <300usd

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi, I've ordered an amplifier from March Audio and waiting for it to arrive. In the meantime, I was thinking of getting some cheap speakers for my desktop which I can also use while working from home or watching youtube etc. Don't want to spend too much since I've already spent enough money on my main system with speakers, amp, minidsp studio, dac etc.

I looked around the internet and most recommendations seem to be audioengine and the likes; however, at least casual googling turned out bad spins or no spins. So I was thinking of getting some small studio monitors. KH80 would have been great but I can't justify the price after having spent so much already.

anyone here use some small studio monitors like presonus, mackie etc. for desktop use ? Kali LP-6 is great price and seems to have good specs wise but is a bit big for my desk.

Colonel Bogey

I have the JBL 305 mkII active speakers for desktop. Amazing value, maybe a bit large. I think these measure very well and should fit your budget.

EDIT: Just checked - 260 USD for the pair. Super deal.

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
I have the JBL 305 mkII active speakers for desktop. Amazing value, maybe a bit large. I think these measure very well and should fit your budget.
They are a bit too large at 10 inch depth and 12 inch height

Feanor

Forum Donor
Hi, I've ordered an amplifier from March Audio and waiting for it to arrive. In the meantime, I was thinking of getting some cheap speakers for my desktop which I can also use while working from home or watching youtube etc. Don't want to spend too much since I've already spent enough money on my main system with speakers, amp, minidsp studio, dac etc.

I looked around the internet and most recommendations seem to be audioengine and the likes; however, at least casual googling turned out bad spins or no spins. So I was thinking of getting some small studio monitors. KH80 would have been great but I can't justify the price after having spent so much already.

anyone here use some small studio monitors like presonus, mackie etc. for desktop use ? Kali LP-6 is great price and seems to have good specs wise but is a bit big for my desk.
I recently order a pair of Pioneer SP-Bs22-LR's: see the ASR review ...
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...er-sp-bs22-lr-bookshelf-speaker-review.11303/

They are a bit smaller than the Kali LP-6 but not self-powered.

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
Yes, thats a problem. Small but good costs. Genelec 8010A (have those also) are really small and cute but cost more than twice as much.
In the US they cost more than double - $700 pre tax.

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
It's hard to beat the recently reviewed Edifier R1280T for non-critical listening.
It's $100 and with EQ (for free), you'll have a decent setup in minutes.
See awesome EQ filters that one member liked.

To do the EQ:
If you're just thinking of setting your own set of EQ filters, without any room correction, then you can use the free software like Equalizer APO together with PEACE (for a nicer interface). That's for Windows only. I use it with my studio monitors and it works great.

Careful, as there's multiple versions, so choose wisely:
Edifier R1280T = non-bluetooth version =$99usd
Edifier R1280Ts = same as R1280T, but with subwoofer out (awesome if you're thinking of adding a sub) = $99usd
Edifier R1280DB = bluetooth version = $129usd

*prices are on amazon.com

BillG

Major Contributor
These are passive, and may be a little big for a desktop - I'm using their big brother, the 162's, for desktop duty, though, on a 55" inch desk with room to spare - but they're inexpensive when on sale and sound great:

https://www.harmanaudio.com/loudspeakers/REFERENCE+152.html

IMG20200927204250.jpg

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If this isn't your primary system I happily recommend the iLoud Micro Monitors. The spins are solid and directivity is as good as any.

iLoud MM Spin Small (1).png

Hor off Axis.png

Ignore <200Hz

It has precisely 2 major problems, in my book:
  • Port noise creates interference. This isnt really audible in regular use at my typical volumes but it's the cause of the narrow dips
  • a small dip from 2-4kHz.
For a max budget of $300, as long as you don't need too much bass output or very high SPLs, I think it's hard to do much better for a desktop setup.

Edit: As indication that the narrow dips are not nearly as audible as they might look, these speakers spent a lot of time as speakers for my digital piano. The dips all correspond to different notes but even when actively investigating them, I could not definitively notice an issue. The big dip from 2-4khz was more audible.

Last edited:
OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
It's hard to beat the recently reviewed Edifier R1280T for non-critical listening.
It's $100 and with EQ (for free), you'll have a decent setup in minutes.
See awesome EQ filters that one member liked.

To do the EQ:
If you're just thinking of setting your own set of EQ filters, without any room correction, then you can use the free software like Equalizer APO together with PEACE (for a nicer interface). That's for Windows only. I use it with my studio monitors and it works great.

Careful, as there's multiple versions, so choose wisely:
Edifier R1280T = non-bluetooth version =$99usd
Edifier R1280Ts = same as R1280T, but with subwoofer out (awesome if you're thinking of adding a sub) = $99usd
Edifier R1280DB = bluetooth version = $129usd

*prices are on amazon.com
Thanks. Yeah, I had read Amir' review and was considering them. Amir liked them but the spins really don't look good. But for nearfield if they can be eqed I guess I could live with them, especially considering it is a small secondary system.

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
If this isn't your primary system I happily recommend the iLoud Micro Monitors. The spins are solid and directivity is as good as any.

View attachment 85095

View attachment 85097
Ignore <200Hz

It has precisely 2 major problems, in my book:
  • Port noise creates interference. This isnt really audible in regular use at my typical volumes but it's the cause of the narrow dips
  • a small dip from 2-4kHz.
For a max budget of $300, as long as you don't need too much bass output or very high SPLs, I think it's hard to do much better for a desktop setup.

Edit: As indication that the narrow dips are not nearly as audible as they might look, these speakers spent a lot of time as speakers for my digital piano. The dips all correspond to different notes but even when actively investigating them, I could not definitively notice an issue. The big dip from 2-4khz was more audible.
Thanks. I had seen this on some website and had good things about their MTM. Will check them out.

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
Has anyone tried out JBL pro 1 series 104?

Attachments

• 91vshnfjO0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    91vshnfjO0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 64

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Another option that's smaller than Kali LP-6:
Yamaha HS5 (which Amir liked). Usually $400usd/pair, but was $300usd/pair between Nov 28 - Dec 5, 2019 on amazon.com if you're willing to wait for a deal.

Height 285mm (11.2")
Width 170mm (6.7")
Depth 222mm (8.7")

Kali LP-6 is:
1601252815730.png

Top Bottom