• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need small desktop amplifier to pair with Topping DX7 and Monitor Audio Silver 8s

Moz

Forum Donor
I listen to music all day when working at home, and my current setup is:
Laptop as music source​
Topping DX7 Pro as DAC​
Krell KAV-2250 as power amplifier​
Monitor Audio Silver 8s as speakers (4 Ohm, 200W RMS)​

The Krell is a big beast and takes a significant amount of room up on my desktop. It was left over from a new year party, and I don't need all the power on a day-to-day basis.
I'd like to replace the Krell with a physically smaller amplifier, ideally almost the same width as the DAC, which is 22.2cm wide. This is so that the AMP and DAC can sit on top of each and reduce space taken up on my desk.
The monitor audio site recommends an amplifier power of 80-200W for my speakers.

So I'm looking for recommendations for a power amp which I think has:
  • balanced XLR input
  • 80-200W @ 4 Ohms per channel, stereo
  • Width of up to 23cm
  • Up to £400

Any suggestions?
The tricky bit seems to be the width. I looked through the interactive "audio science review" interactive tableau for power amps but I couldn't seem to find anything which would fit for the width.
Maybe I have to scrap the width restriction and go for a rack-mount size amp.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
M

Moz

Forum Donor
Hi CDMC,

That's great thank you for the suggestion so quickly.
The iom ncore 122mp pro looks like a good sized unit and a recommendation on ASR.
I'll see if there are any other suggestions, but have added that unit to the list!

Jefrpol

Hard to tell from pictures, but what does the Iom look like in person? The 'ncore' script is not to my liking but perhaps it looks nicer in person. I'm also contemplating a dedicated desktop amp but I've been thinking about the March Audio P122. I like the look of it compared to the Iom or a VTV and it has a standby switch on the front.

TimW

Major Contributor
The Krell was left over from a new year party?

You should take a look at class D amps from the likes of Nord, Apollon, and March Audio.

It is rumored that Topping will be coming out with some new high performance power amplifiers. I'm excited to see what they come up with. It may just come in a form factor that perfectly matches your DX7 Pro.

Reactions: Moz

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hard to tell from pictures, but what does the Iom look like in person? The 'ncore' script is not to my liking but perhaps it looks nicer in person. I'm also contemplating a dedicated desktop amp but I've been thinking about the March Audio P122. I like the look of it compared to the Iom or a VTV and it has a standby switch on the front.

I like it.

IMG_7048 (Custom).JPG
IMG_7049 (Custom).JPG
IMG_7050 (Custom).JPG
IMG_7200 (Custom).JPG

OP
M

Moz

Forum Donor
The Krell was left over from a new year party?

I'm of the age where I'm too old to go out at New Year, and I have kids, so I decided to recreate a 90s house club in my living room and invited all my friends over to stay. Bought the Krell to use as a stereo amp and the Topping DX7 Pro as the DAC (which also drives a subwoofer). It was thanks to reading ASR reviews that I found this setup and it was good for the party.

You should take a look at class D amps from the likes of Nord, Apollon, and March Audio.
It is rumored that Topping will be coming out with some new high performance power amplifiers. I'm excited to see what they come up with. It may just come in a form factor that perfectly matches your DX7 Pro.

Thanks for the intro to the class D from Nord, Apollon and March. I had a look through them but for the price I'm going to go for the IOM Ncore Pro - possibly the 250W per channel version. I'll keep my ear out to see if Topping do release an amp which has a similar form factor to the DX7 - that would be perfect!

EDIT: but now I've just seen the AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC XLR and now I'm not so sure. Argh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom