• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
"Thankfully" I live in a land of perpetual rain and cold... except for an occasional month or two of blistering heat in the summertime. But when that occurs, the sheer unfamiliarity with the concept makes even the tiniest amount of physical activity result in uncontrollable sweating :D

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
"Thankfully" I live in a land of perpetual rain and cold... except for an occasional month or two of blistering heat in the summertime. But when that occurs, the the sheer unfamiliarity with the concept makes even the tiniest amount of physical activity result in uncontrollable sweating :D
You're in Manchester too?

ferrellms

Just curious ...
What headphone(s) do you currently own ?
Which one(s) is(are) used the most, or is your favorite ?
I own the Shure SRH 1840. At least as good as others like HD6xx etc. Here is a graph showing the DIFFERENCES between other good phones and the Shure (the flat line straight across). The Shure bass is the only one to match the HiFiMan, has the mid-range of the HD800, and splits the difference with all the others in the treble.

Attachments

• srh1840compare.png
    srh1840compare.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 264
OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I own the Shure SRH 1840. At least as good as others like HD6xx etc. Here is a graph showing the DIFFERENCES between other good phones and the Shure (the flat line straight across). The Shure bass is the only one to match the HiFiMan, has the mid-range of the HD800, and splits the difference with all the others in the treble.

RAA uses incorrect compensation (check out the HD650 ;))

SRH1840 bass is similar to HD600, HD800, K701.
The SRH1840 cannot be compared to others in FR, you can also see this as there is no red trace.
Just look at the individual plots of RE600 and SRH1840 they differ a lot below 1kHz.
Then compare SRH1840 with K701 for instance.

Have a look here where you can see SRH1840 compared to K701, HD600

Of course these measurements also are incorrect but in a different way. The only reliable measurebator never measured one though. Rtings also lacks this.

The SRH1840 is a very good headphone, a bit light in bass extension and the treble peak (fixable) is annoying to some folks.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
RAA uses incorrect compensation.

The SRH1840 cannot be compared to others in FR, you can also see this as there is no red trace.
Just look at the individual plots of RE600 and SRH1840 they differ a lot below 1kHz.

Of course these measurements also are incorrect but in a different way. The only reliable measurebator never measured one though. Rtings also lacks this.

The SRH1840 is a good headphone, a bit light in bass extension and the treble peak (fixable) is annoying to some folks.

Who is the only reliable one? Oratory?

peanuts

look at the huge row of headphones in z reviews new house at the start of the video.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fair play to him. I assume the reviews are is his main source of income these days.

Did you notice his equipment room/testing room looks to be a basement? So much equipment. And so many hard reflective surfaces between concrete floors and concret walls :facepalm:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you notice his equipment room/testing room looks to be a basement? So much equipment. And so many hard reflective surfaces between concrete floors and concret walls :facepalm:

Ha- yes, wondered about that. - but I only ever watch the HP and associated kit reviews.

ferrellms

RAA uses incorrect compensation (check out the HD650 ;))

The SRH1840 is a very good headphone, a bit light in bass extension and the treble peak (fixable) is annoying to some folks.
You misunderstand the graph. There is no red trace since this is a graph of differences and the Shure does not differ from itself.

Here are measurements from Sonarworks which measures many sets of headphones from around to world in order to sell individually customized correction filters for the specific phones sent in. These are the averages for each type of phone. It is easy to see the Shure has the best bass and the flattest overall response. Subjectively (to me for whatever it is worth) and having used and owned all three, it is clear that the Shure sounds best, particularly in the bass. Your mileage may vary, needless to say.

Attachments

• HD650.pdf
    83.7 KB · Views: 182
  • akg7702.pdf
    79.7 KB · Views: 158
  • srh1840.pdf
    82.5 KB · Views: 151

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I own the following:

- HIFIMAN Sundara
- Audio Technica ATH-M50X
- Sennheiser RS185
- Sennheiser RS180 (x2)
- Sony WH-H900N
- Moondrop Starfield
- Sony MH755

Reactions: PSO
OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You misunderstand the graph.

The graph shows 5 traces, none of them are red. The legend shows 6 traces should be there, red isn't and is the SRH1840.
Select the HD600 in 'compare frequency response' and then compare to SRH1840 ...you cannot select that one because it is not selectable and not present. You can select it in efficiency though.
Look at the SRH1840 report directly. While extended looks nothing like the RE600 and is closer to the Focal
Clearly the plots are not 'difference from' plots but simply all overlaid and referenced to 1kHz, just missing the SRH1840 because it is not available for FR comparisons.

I would trust Sonarworks more than RAA.

Doesn't mind... the STH1840 is a good sounding headphone. It just gets little love.

Last edited:

chi2

Forum Donor
@ferrellms
While SRH1840 ist one of the lightest and most comfortable circumaural open headphones I own, its low bass is not only a bit recessed but also has higher levels of distortion. Some years back Tyll Hertsens has measured the SRH1840 at over 1% THD below 650Hz when driving it at 90dB. Below 400 Hz it was over 3%, below 100 Hz about 6%.

In the low registers the human ear is less sensitive to distortion and even when THD is quite high, in my experience it mostly doesn't sound obviously irritating as long as it is only in the frequency range below 100Hz. Rather, the bass tends to be less controlled and a bit flabbier with increased levels of distortion.

The HD 600 in contrast has lower THD generally and especially in the bass. Tylls measurements of HD 600 and HD 580 (same drivers) came in at < 1% THD above 50Hz and were a max of 2 to 3% at 20Hz.

OTOH most orthodynamics are on a different level regarding THD in bass. Audeze LCD 2, 3, and 4 as well as Hifiman HE 5, 6, 400, 400s, 500, and 1000 are all below 1% even at 20Hz. Together with linear presence down to 20 Hz this is why many appreciate the bass performance of orthos the most.

Top Bottom