• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Orchard Audio Bosc (GaNFET Class D) vs. Hypex & Co. ?

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
There is Merrill Audio's GaN amplifiers but they are extremely expensive and no measurements anywhere...
There are a few others as well, Technics, AGD...all 10k plus.

I believe that at this time I have the least expensive GaN solution on the market.

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company

Panelhead

Forum Donor
Me either. But I see the Pascal modules use a modulator that outputs sine waves. Like your design they say it simplifies the filtering.
Most module modulators seem to have Output a triangular waveform.
The self oscillating modulator waveform seems like it should be sinusoidal too.
My electronics is all old school. But most oscillators I dealt with generated sine waves.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
Here’s my build and measurements of my unit:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/87913-class-amp-photo-gallery-167.html

It’s a small 2U height box (280mm x 380mm), weighs about 8 lbs.

Multimode IMD attached at bottom of this post.

Note that I built it with a +48V supply and not +56V. As such max power is less. When Leo tested it, the MeanWell modules went into current protection mode at 123W/8 ohms. It’s not an issue for me as my speakers are passive and 96dB/2.83V/1m. I have comfortably listened to the amps hooked up to my system and achieved SPL levels of 85-95dB at my main listening position of ~ 4m. At these SPL levels, I have measured about a minimum of 6watts and max of 20 watts (my impedance varies from 4.8 ohms to 20 ohms from 100Hz on up). Bear in mind that I use a distributed multisub setup for frequencies below ~ 200Hz.
View attachment 83020View attachment 83021View attachment 83022View attachment 83023

View attachment 83025
Your cover off photo had me worried I did not understand the power supply requirements. Seeing the two power bricks per channel made me wonder if I knew the how these Class D modules work. Once I blew up the photo the 24 volt output voltage was readable.
I ordered 48 volt Mean Well bricks. Jameco said delivery tomorrow. Leo said StarkCrimson modules next month. Need to figure out a chassis. Have several to pick from. Plan on using Speakon speaker connectors on all future builds. And Amphenol 31-223 Twinaxial BNC for inputs. If a used chassis is selected they should fit the holes drilled for RCA’s.

Poseidons Voice

Forum Donor
+48 to +56VDC will work just fine. The reason I sent my build to Leo was to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that my build works as advertised with extraordinarily low distortion to boot. Some people just didn’t believe it so there you go!

Glad you figured out my pic, it isn’t voodoo just science!

Best,
Anand.

okok

my friend diy-ed a GaN amp but in the end he bought ahb2

Poseidons Voice

Forum Donor
As much as I geek out on measurements, I try very hard to geek out on build quality, neatness and safety in particular. I worry that someone who doesn’t have the know how of electronics will eventually acquire one of my builds and hurt themselves or loved one (or pet). There should be some accountability in diy builds too so they work from inception and don’t hurt anyone in the process!

Thanks Howard for the compliment.

Best,
Anand.

cakyol

Hi PoseidonsVoice,

Sorry for being late to this thread but why did you decide to use the 2 x 24V Meanwell PSUs in your power supply instead of a 500-750 VA toroidal, a (or two) rectifier/s and large filter capacitors to make an unregulated but much more robust power supply ?

Poseidons Voice

Forum Donor
@cakyol

Thanks for the question. Suggest you read through posts 1606 to 1611 in this thread for some answers. But briefly, you size the power supply and design based on the needs of the design, whim, your budget, and chassis size. I am certainly not allergic to using large toroids and large filter caps, etc…but there are courses for horses.

Here is an example of where I went nearly all out in the traditional sense, but then again, this is for a very different amplifier build.

You can certainly build Leo’s design using a toroid and large sets of capacitor banks, nothing wrong with that, whether it is needed is a very different question. Think about the PSRR‘s needs of the main amplifier design first and then redesign the power supply accordingly.

In example, I have a colleague of mine who has an excellent sounding Neurochrome Modulus 686 using switcher supplies. I am recasing my Neurochrome Modulus 686 at this time but using a linear supply. For sure mine will be heavier, bulkier, and more unwieldy. It won’t measure any different. But will it sound better? To be fair, we should put a couple of bricks on top of his as it weighs < 15 lbs! ;)

Best,
Anand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom