• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

jaraheel

I am always surprised by the unenthusiastic response SMSL gear tends to receive regardless of measures performance. It seems Topping, Matrix, Octo, and others get a much warmer reception.
If I may give an opinion here, SMSL has had a rather uninspiring history of quality control, with issues being fixed in second iterations. Their products are pretty good, especially for the money, but it’d take successful execution of several products to rehabilitate their image - just my two cents

jae

Major Contributor
Aren't Aurender, Aurelic, and Lumin already doing this?

Are they measured? Which products from these companies perform objectively as well as the <$500 chinese products?

The only "premium" audiophile product I know of that compares is the Mola Mola Tambaqui which costs $10,000.

Tks

Major Contributor
I just realized, it beat the DX3 Pro in the IMD test, ESS implementations haven't been known for doing much of that in the recent past. Pretty nice to see.

Reactions: PSO

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ESS implementations haven't been known for doing much of that in the recent past.
Okto dac8 Stereo USB AES Balanced DAC IMD Audio Measurements.png

Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro MQA DAC IMD Audio measurements.png

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I just realized, it beat the DX3 Pro in the IMD test, ESS implementations haven't been known for doing much of that in the recent past. Pretty nice to see.
Okto dac8 Stereo USB AES Balanced DAC IMD Audio Measurements.png

VinceS

@amirm If you still have this hooked up anywhere any chance you could find out in the menu's if all outputs(XLR/RCA) are always on or if you can switch between them? Otherwise ill dive into the manual when this gets released.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

J.I.T

wow... somewhat better than m400 on toslink.
for me, the only downside from m400 was toslink jitter measurement from amirm's review
and now, it is solved by even cheaper su-9. impressive!

amirm, thank you for the review.

AlexScan

Another great DAC from SMSL, but this one is the best price/quality ratio I think...

Anyone as picture of the inside ?

sonci99

If I may give an opinion here, SMSL has had a rather uninspiring history of quality control, with issues being fixed in second iterations. Their products are pretty good, especially for the money, but it’d take successful execution of several products to rehabilitate their image - just my two cents
Their flagship dac has a butchered frequency response on RCA out,
and one SMSL guy said to solder a capacitor on a 800$ dac.. How cool is that?

gvl

Major Contributor
No access to advanced ESS settings, eg ASRC off, from the menu, right?

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is this thing better than the m400?

wyup

Their flagship dac has a butchered frequency response on RCA out,
and one SMSL guy said to solder a capacitor on a 800$ dac.. How cool is that?
Well, at least they provide a solution. It's the downside of releasing some new products a year, that's how it goes in consumer industry. But they perfect their craft along the way and that is better for us. We get more for less. Chord have their Qutest and Dave for years but who can reach for that..

Last edited:

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well, at least they provide a solution. It's the downside of releasing some new products a year, that's how it goes in consumer industry. But they perfect their craft along the way and that is better for us. We get more for less. Chord have their Qutest and Dave for years but who can reach for that..

Testing should be done before releasing a product.

Top Bottom