• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Orchard Audio Bosc (GaNFET Class D) vs. Hypex & Co. ?

Vortex

Hi all,

can we expect a test how these GaN-based newcomers perform against top-class classD-s like e.g. NC400 ?
BOSC

From the site:
Why Gallium Nitride (GaN)?

GaN provides the following sonic/sound quality benefits over traditional silicon transistors:

• Less harshness
  • Cleaner highs
  • Better transparency
  • Higher detail

This is because GaN transistors have much better characteristics over their silicon counterparts:

• Increased slew rate
  • Reduced ringing
  • Faster switching
  • Faster overload recovery

Amplifier performance is improved by the use of GaN technology:

• Decreased noise
  • Less distortion
  • Better transient response
  • Higher bandwidth

Looks promising to me. It would be great to test and measure these too.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Hi all,

can we expect a test how these GaN-based newcomers perform against top-class classD-s like e.g. NC400 ?
BOSC

From the site:
Why Gallium Nitride (GaN)?

GaN provides the following sonic/sound quality benefits over traditional silicon transistors:

• Less harshness
  • Cleaner highs
  • Better transparency
  • Higher detail

This is because GaN transistors have much better characteristics over their silicon counterparts:

• Increased slew rate
  • Reduced ringing
  • Faster switching
  • Faster overload recovery

Amplifier performance is improved by the use of GaN technology:

• Decreased noise
  • Less distortion
  • Better transient response
  • Higher bandwidth

Looks promising to me. It would be great to test and measure these too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B_64mCNoxf4JqQZ1kdWvtIIWl-ij_8nk/edit

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
Vortex

Vortex

Uh. Killer, both. Thanks for the article.
And interestingly, NC400 is still (insignificantly) better than Purifi on the SINAD chart. However, in other aspects I assume Purifi is the better option. (If also insignificantly because NC400 alone is stellar already). What do you think ?

Just asking all of that because I'd like to source 2 of "some kind of cutting edge amp modules" to drive my active 3-way midrange sections in a decently powered setup. (And I can decide later if I want to colour it with a tube input stage or leave it as is).

kn0ppers

I would go with the Purifis and the Neurochrome Input Buffer by @tomchr .

https://neurochrome.com/products/purifi-1et400a-hypex-nc500-input-buffer

It should make for a fairly clean implementation (probably as clean as DIY gets).

Edit: But I must say I am slightly confused by what exactly you want to do? Do you want to replace the currently installed amplifier modules in active speakers? Is there any DSP stuff going on or does it have one speaker output internally and a passive crossover network?

Poseidons Voice

Forum Donor
Here’s my build and measurements of my unit:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/87913-class-amp-photo-gallery-161.html#post6302969

It’s a small 2U height box (280mm x 380mm), weighs about 8 lbs.

Multimode IMD attached at bottom of this post.

Note that I built it with a +48V supply and not +56V. As such max power is less. When Leo tested it, the MeanWell modules went into current protection mode at 123W/8 ohms. It’s not an issue for me as my speakers are passive and 96dB/2.83V/1m. I have comfortably listened to the amps hooked up to my system and achieved SPL levels of 85-95dB at my main listening position of ~ 4m. At these SPL levels, I have measured about a minimum of 6watts and max of 20 watts (my impedance varies from 4.8 ohms to 20 ohms from 100Hz on up). Bear in mind that I use a distributed multisub setup for frequencies below ~ 200Hz.
262F6A07-396D-47D9-9EC3-B70F517DCD49.jpeg
FC8B41E5-83D3-4210-B04D-06EA6F2922FE.jpeg
F6984C64-6360-4A41-950B-360BBB2A1EDC.jpeg
A0633DE0-4241-4988-9BF8-428080CCE54B.jpeg

E215338B-09CA-40E7-8F29-1246F2635A8D.jpeg

Last edited:

Poseidons Voice

Forum Donor
Indeed SY, we should respect each others heritage!
Thank you for your didactic comparisons of the Purifi and BOSC. Helped solidify the relatively small differences between the 2 designs.

Best,
Anand.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'd like to source 2 of "some kind of cutting edge amp modules" to drive my active 3-way midrange sections in a decently powered setup.
Depending on the situation you might get better end results (lower distortion from the amp+driver system) with a current drive amplifier (or a high power amplifier with a simple series resistor).

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Depending on the situation you might get better end results (lower distortion from the amp+driver system) with a current drive amplifier (or a high power amplifier with a simple series resistor).

That could be quite a big resistor depending on the situation.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@orchardaudio So, obviously the issue with the name "Bosc" has been resolved in your favour and didn't go all pear-shaped? (pun intended) Glad to hear it. Tell us more (if you can).

orchardaudio

Audio Company
@orchardaudio So, obviously the issue with the name "Bosc" has been resolved in your favour? Glad to hear it. Tell us more (if you can).
The new name for the modules will be Starkrimson Mono.

I have till end of the year to redo all the naming.

This is why in some of the newer reviews you will see "BOSC/Starkrimson"

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@orchardaudio Any plans on a higher power amplifier like 700W at 4 ohms?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is Merrill Audio's GaN amplifiers but they are extremely expensive and no measurements anywhere...

Top Bottom