• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VTV Hypex Ncore NC252MP (It's all Amir's fault)

OP
CDMC

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO big transformer adds weight, cost, possibly hum, and switchers don't while also supplying all the current needed and better stabilization for peaks.

To add to this, there is the common misconception that switching power supplies are noisier and can’t provide sufficient instant current. Both are incorrect. The best performing amps use smps suppies now, benchmark, hypex, purifi.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/ap...audio-myth-switching-power-supplies-are-noisy

Using a linear supply for a hypex or purifi does not result in the best performance, but does let the builder claim a different and superior product, even if not true.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
CDMC

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The top blue list has both switching and linear power supplies, low and high power, so really one cannot make a blanket statement either way.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...list-for-3rd-party-measured-amplifiers.16060/

It could be argued that the Benchmark with a 12 db SN ratio advantage over the next performing amp is in a class of its own. That said, youare correct, either design can provide SN ratios well in excess of audibility. As nearly always sees to be the case, it is implementation more than whether one is fundamentally better than the other. Either design can be fabulous or terrible.

Last edited:

cranks

Thanks guys for your input!

I think the leading contender for me is the amps with smps!

Now to select which brand!!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks guys for your input!

I think the leading contender for me is the amps with smps!

Now to select which brand!!
When anyone can put amp boards and cables in a box, the competitive advantage goes to the ones who do the correct and clean assemblies. I suggest you to compare inside pictures and list of components used to make up your mind.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMHO if you live in Australia March Audio is the no-brainer choice. First-rate assembly/quality, nice cases, great customer support. Some March products are a little more expensive than some comparable units from European vendors, but I would say you get an extra level of build quality (and I believe individual unit testing) for your money, and if you're in Australia the price premium basically disappears when you take into account shipping from Europe from the other brands.

Last edited:

Joeylawn

I just joined here and I have a question regarding the Hypex NC252MP amp module.

After reading all the stuff from Hypex about the "Pin 1" situation, I get that you are Not to attach XLR Pin 1 to the grounds of the Hypex board, but simply attach Pin 1 to chassis of the amp case. BUT what about the grounds coming from Pin 3 and Pin 14 - Do you just leave them floating? If you are not to attach Pins 3 and 14 to ground, what are they for then? Confusing (to me anyway). Thanks in advance.

AndrewDavis

I just joined here and I have a question regarding the Hypex NC252MP amp module.

After reading all the stuff from Hypex about the "Pin 1" situation, I get that you are Not to attach XLR Pin 1 to the grounds of the Hypex board, but simply attach Pin 1 to chassis of the amp case. BUT what about the grounds coming from Pin 3 and Pin 14 - Do you just leave them floating? If you are not to attach Pins 3 and 14 to ground, what are they for then? Confusing (to me anyway). Thanks in advance.
When did you purchase the amp? VTV rectified that Pin1 issue soon after it was Identified here.

realdb

I am getting low volume on my 502mp compared to my sonos amp. Ncore 502mp has twice the power then don't know why the low volume compared to sonos amp. Yes quality is btr but volume is lacking. I have currently connected it to directly to my laptop through 3.5mm to XLR into amp.

Am i doing something wrong or do I need to check my pin connections in the amp or do I need to add a pre amp or dac?

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am getting low volume on my 502mp compared to my sonos amp. Ncore 502mp has twice the power then don't know why the low volume compared to sonos amp. Yes quality is btr but volume is lacking. I have currently connected it to directly to my laptop through 3.5mm to XLR into amp.

Am i doing something wrong or do I need to check my pin connections in the amp or do I need to add a pre amp or dac?

It's a common issue: gain is not the same as power. The NCore (and Purifi) amps typically come packaged with input stages that raise overall gain beyond what the amp module itself can do - but even so, most Class D amps come factory preset with gain in the 20dB range, often with gain selectable up to about 25-26dB. I don't know the gain of your Sonos amp, but traditionally most amps before these module-based NCore and Purifi amps feature gain in the 29-30dB range.

Your amp might have a setting to up its gain from whatever it came set to from the factory. If not, or if that doesn't do the trick, then an active preamp should solve the issue.

realdb

Hey guys what do you think, built this puppy up, Hypex 502MP. With all the shenanigans, air gapping wires, ton of thermal paste(Artic MX-4), ring connectors for proper grounding, cable harnessing.

Purrs like a tiger, 0 noise and thermal paste works really well keeping it cool. Might sell it, just built it for fun. If anyone is interested and in EU.

Attachments

• front.jpeg
    front.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 355
  • top.jpeg
    top.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 380
  • wiring-1.jpeg
    wiring-1.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 370
  • wiring-2.jpeg
    wiring-2.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 377
  • wiring-3.jpeg
    wiring-3.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 424
  • wiring-4.jpeg
    wiring-4.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 432
  • wiring-5.jpeg
    wiring-5.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 411

the_hamster 2

There’s a March Audio P502 (used) up for sale on AudioGon for $675 plus $27 shipping. VTV comparable model (new) sells for $699 (no trigger) plus shipping (charge?). So, are readers here satisfied with current build quality of VTV Ncore amps that one would opt for a new unit from them vs the March (sold by a dealer - may have been a trade-in)?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There’s a March Audio P502 (used) up for sale on AudioGon for $675 plus $27 shipping. VTV comparable model (new) sells for $699 (no trigger) plus shipping (charge?). So, are readers here satisfied with current build quality of VTV Ncore amps that one would opt for a new unit from them vs the March (sold by a dealer - may have been a trade-in)?

Even if build quality were equal, a March Hypex amp is more robustly built and tested than VTV Hypex amplifiers are. As long as the dealer is offering some warranty, would not hesitate to buy the March P502.

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom