• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know this can be an interesting debate but is actually besides the point.

If you think it is besides the point, it shows you don't actually understand it.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Parzival

Haha. Some of the comments are genuinely good and some humorous. But for every naysayer to this particular topic or any debate for that matter, just saying NO without any exposition or just simply having a worn out rhetoric, doesn’t really advance the debate nor does it help in furtherance of understanding.
Some of the companies will love to stick to what they already do and resist disruptive change as it entails cost and will also come out with all sorts of stuff to make you believe it is not really needed.
Some of the audiophiles and prosumers might love the gear, recordings, tapes, vinyls and the stuff you already have and I totally get that, it’s natural.
However, progress and technology are undeniable and inevitable, it is about time for better audio to become mainstream and the paradigms of audiophile tech to change.

Hopefully next 10 years will see some ground breaking stuff. I for one am excited to know more on new developments.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Haha. Some of the comments are genuinely good and some humorous. But for every naysayer to this particular topic or any debate for that matter, just saying NO without any exposition or just simply having a worn out rhetoric, doesn’t really advance the debate nor does it help in furtherance of understanding.

Neither does making erroneous claims unsupported by facts, evidence or rationale.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Some of the companies will love to stick to what they already do and resist disruptive change as it entails cost and will also come out with all sorts of stuff to make you believe it is not really needed.
Some of the audiophiles and prosumers might love the gear, recordings, tapes, vinyls and the stuff you already have and I totally get that, it’s natural.
However, progress and technology are undeniable and inevitable, it is about time for better audio to become mainstream and the paradigms of audiophile tech to change.

Hopefully next 10 years will see some ground breaking stuff. I for one am excited to know more on new developments.

Sure.

Lots of areas to improve.

Room correction.

More immersive audio than 2 channel gives you.

etc

But ultrasonic music is not one of them.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I for one am excited to know more on new developments.

You sound like a marketer's wet dream... Don't bother me with details of what's relevant, what could impact what actually gets to my ears, and whether or not there is actual, verifiable science that can debunk the whole pile of nonsense...tell me it's better and I'll go tell my friends, and so on, and so on. Tell me a story and I'll hand over the money.

I was on the same path...but decided to leave my ignorance behind. It didn't even hurt at all...

firedog

Of course MQA does support more than 96khz. Tidal has acoustic and classical albums coded at 192khz. But MQA has its limitations and is mired with debates and controversies about whether even it has higher bit information which to my mind is an existential question :D
The MQA compression algorithm doesn't encode anything in the source file above 48Khz - if there is something it's discarded as being irrelevant acoustically. Effectively, no MQA file is more than 18/96. There is no such thing as 24/192 MQA. At best it is 18/96 upsampled to 24/192.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom