• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tenet

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Like I said; movies are not the same as they used to.
The film directors are lacking imagination and creativity.

Reading comments on Tenet is entertaining.

* I was to start a thread on the new films of 2020, but after watching couple dozens trailers of the most recent new releases I simply wasn't enthralled @ all...so I just gave up.

I hit the end of my rope. Batman doesn't do it anymore, Wonder Woman the same, Suicide Squat, Venom, ...all those comics that keep shooting excessive sequels with a zero value (brain and box office). A pandemic can easily do that.
Without the money incentive everything goes down the toilet bowl.

Tenet can't even suggest an exit door, a miracle, a vaccine for tomorrow ...
...From my readings. And I lost my appetite for restaurants and theaters.
Tenet I got the feeling that it might be released on 4K Blu-ray before year's end.
Good enough for me...there's no rush. Meanwhile I'm highly entertained with dogs, cats and wildlife...all that jazz, and it's no movie.

What I do more is listening to music. So Tenet music soundtrack ...

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
These are not normal movie times.
...A box office recipe for COVID-19 herd immunity? Nah, WB wouldn't do that.

Parzival

I feel bad about Tenet being so good but turning out to be a box office dud due to Covid. It may not be visually jaw dropping like interstellar or inception but it is definitely a solid 9 /10 and has an interesting and inexplicably fictional premise and intentionally challenging screenplay. Producers should have delayed the film release like all other production houses have done given the unprecedented times. I wish more people go and see it, if not for anything else than, to encourage Nolan to continue on his daring path of creating mind benders and securing finances to future big budget sci-fi genre. We were the only two people watching the film in a 150 seater imax auditorium; felt guilty about the waste of energy and resources, but what the heck, it was a great experience and some people pay for this privilege in better times.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
$250 million globally during a pandemic; I find it extraordinary.
I can wait ...

* The last film I saw @ a IMAX theater was 1917, with approximately twenty moviegoers total in the theater. That was @ the start of the pandemic.
It made $385 million globally, with a budget of roughly $90-100 million (Wiki).

Last edited:

Parzival

$250 million globally during a pandemic; I find it extraordinary. (Wiki).

given the production and marketing cost being in the range of $400m it might not recoup the cost. I saw somewhere Nolan stating no green screen usage in the movie, fully old school natural FX.

JohnnyBig23

I am obsessed with Tenet. Waiting to watch it at home to find the new details that can help me to catch all the ideas.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've watched it twice. Lots of good work, good acting etc. Unfortunately it is a movie that tells a story with no point at all. They never got around to integrating into the plot an actual plot.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I got angry with this movie.
it is obviously made with the intention to not be possible to understand at all, because there is a fanbase that likes the challenge and has the time/patience to watch movies several times and analise it for hours.
just make a new genre, don't call it a movie. call it a a movie-riddle or something like that. for me movies need to be relaxing, not annoying

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've watched it twice. Lots of good work, good acting etc. Unfortunately it is a movie that tells a story with no point at all. They never got around to integrating into the plot an actual plot.

Interesting take. I came away thinking they explained it too well as the initial scene on the boat suggested a lot would never be understood. But then they explain who, why and how.
Still excited about the prospect of a sequel.. or is that a prequel??

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I intend to watch "Tenet" at some point.. I am sometimes fascinated by the "time thing" on some movies (Arrival which is one of my favorite movies and Interstellar, which I like, not a complete list but these two come to mind) and thoroughly annoyed by some ( "Memento" which I could not enjoy and still don't understand what the fuss is all about, or the circuitous, mind-messing and deliberately obtuse mess of the "Avengers Endgame" movie, which has given me a pause on anything Marvel comes out with ... I could be the exception as the World seems to be quite enthused by that movie which I didn't enjoy at all ... even on subsequent viewings ...
I will watch Tenet but my hopes are low ... I am sure the audio effects are spectacular, this, I am looking forward to :)

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought Tenet on AppleTV knowing I’d be watching it more than once. In the first viewing I was lost for the first scene and need to rewatch it to see what happened and how it was connected to the rest of the film. By the middle of the film I was able to predict what was happening accurately and knew the twist before it was revealed. The last scenes were enjoyable but could use a rewatch to fully understand what happened. I love the tease at possible prequel/sequel in the end.

I enjoyed the movie and found Nolan’s use of music and sound mesmerizing.

Martin

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Omg

Just saw Tenet this afternoon. Possibly the most confusing film I have ever seen. To the point of not being able to figure out if the events portrayed were possible given the premise of the story.

Still strangely compelling regardless. Lots of bemused faces coming out of the cinema. My brain is still hurting hours later.
Is it more confusing than HYPEX amp power specs , what do you think @restorer-john ?

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
You Only Live Twice (1967) had rockets that landed vertically just like Elon Musk's Space X rockets in 2018. ;)

Insightful and relevant.

And has hot girls, car chases and exotic locations, along with groovy set pieces and a Toyota GT-2000.

View attachment 80998

2001, A Space Yawn is not in the same league...
Thats a fucking automobile!

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I’m obviously in the minority here. I could not finish the movie. The distortion in the Master audio was simply too much for me. The whole movie was boosted maybe 6db. What I saw/heard was loudness Wars seeping into his Movies. Not his first movie with massive signal clipping. When the clipping is built in, no matter what MV you use the distortion/clipping is present. It’s 2020 and Nolan is still using audio channels of 5.1 and then intentionally clipping the signals. No thanks.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Omg

Just saw Tenet this afternoon. Possibly the most confusing film I have ever seen. To the point of not being able to figure out if the events portrayed were possible given the premise of the story.

Still strangely compelling regardless. Lots of bemused faces coming out of the cinema. My brain is still hurting hours later.

Tenet is quite easy to understand in comparison to Primer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primer_(film)

If you like intellectual challenges, you have to see this one!

Top Bottom