• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magnepan LRS Speaker Review

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm

I know it is rather late in the thread, but I loved those animated interference graphs you did in this review. I don't know if they show much with most speakers, but if you ever get an ESL to do, it would be something worth having in that. It has often been speculated that ESL's "shimmer" between driven points on the diaphragm, and at some frequencies that would show up in such a interference graph.

Also I'm surprised no one much has commented on those graphics in this review. They so clearly show what the tweeter and main panel are doing and that some kind of reflection on those panels is going on at higher frequencies.

Vuki

We have been through this many times. Your opinion of my listening tests has no foundation because my testing methodology doesn't match others. It follows research protocols which others do not (training, mono listening, etc.). You can dismiss them but don't give me that reason as it doesn't hold water.
To me my opinion has very solid foundation-it's mine :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I will definitely do these animations from time to time for special projects. I will have to ask Klippel to automate them as currently it is a pain to capture and produce.

As to measuring other panel speakers, the height limitation is a problem. I can only go a few inches taller than the LRS before hitting the limit. How tall are the ESLs?

TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Forum Donor

tomtoo

Major Contributor
"..All by themselves, the LRS are, indeed, quite lean in the lower mids, power range, and bottom octaves...."

If we forget the power range thats exactly what i would think about this speaker if i look at the FR. If i now add that they are huge, no power comes out, beam extrem verticaly there must be a hell of magic in them that i would like them even for this price.

mac

Forum Donor
The drivers are separate in a coax, and there aren't audible diffraction issues with Genelec MDC drivers. No inherent flaws as far as I know of with coaxial drivers. I'd be interested to learn if there are though.

Coax drivers exhibit varying degrees of doppler distortion. Perhaps Genelic has managed to mitigate this trait with their implementation.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I will definitely do these animations from time to time for special projects. I will have to ask Klippel to automate them as currently it is a pain to capture and produce.

As to measuring other panel speakers, the height limitation is a problem. I can only go a few inches taller than the LRS before hitting the limit. How tall are the ESLs?
Depends of course. The old Quad ESL63 or modern copy 2805 are 41 inches tall. Something like my Soundlabs are 70 inches tall, and they make a couple models taller than mine. An old Quad 57 is shorter and wider.

Is there more leeway to lay such a tall speaker on its side and make it work?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not quite what you are asking but most of the time I present the in-room frequency response in the 96 dB SPL graph:

index.php

Granted, the speaker is still 5 foot in the air but otherwise this is a single measurement like anyone would make. Here, we clearly see the same peaking of on-axis above 350 Hz. The treble response is lower than spinorama because this was made at my first guess at the acoustic center.
Yes, besides the hump it's not as bad as the spin suggests. Would it be possible to calculate and show the FR at different distances, as suggested in the thread where you asked what people would like to see? Maybe 1m, 2m, 3m, 4m? More than 4m would be unrealistic for the LRS.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I thought the forum is a place to share opinions and not to spread religion and god worshiping.
Once expressed, it is a plea to be believed so it needs to have proper foundation. This would avoid religious discussions as it would then be fact based.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, besides the hump it's not as bad as the spin suggests. Would it be possible to calculate and show the FR at different distances, as suggested in the thread where you asked what people would like to see? Maybe 1m, 2m, 3m, 4m? More than 4m would be unrealistic for the LRS.
Sure. Minimum distance is 1.13 meter:

1600585243754.png

2 meters:
1600585266435.png

3 meters:
1600585310424.png

4 meters:
1600585342847.png

Edit: note that that vertical scales are not the same above. I just did a quick copy and paste rather than setting everything up the same.

Last edited:

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SMGa is 24 x 48", no? So that would make it 1152sqin, closer to the panel area of the 1.7i(1235) than to the LRS(696). I haven't seen nearly as much rolloff in measurements of my 1.7i either.

No. The SMGa used a smaller panel, 370 square inches for the bass panel. Newer Maggies have a larger panel to overall size than older ones.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Coax drivers exhibit varying degrees doppler distortion. Perhaps Genelic has managed to mitigate this trait with their implementation.

Not sure how audible that is since I don't hear it on the KEF LS50, but yes, the Genelec 8260 white paper mentions this as an issue with two way coaxials when they don't have a separate woofer.

Crazy expensive, but the problem is solved.

https://assets.ctfassets.net/4zjnzn...3bb717fe31e/genelec_8260a_technical_paper.pdf

Distortion wise, I'm not sure what kind it is, but trying to play loud transients seems to cause issues on the panel speakers I've listened to. It's like they give up and "rubber band" snap back to their comfortable operating range.

This was with a larger pair of panel speakers in a Best Buy Magnolia. I'd love to run one of those audition rooms if I could pick the speakers.

xarkkon

very interesting! i've been very puzzled by maggies for ages. every online source has always gone on about how wonderful they are

when i first dipped my toes in to audio, i auditioned like 12 speakers and the last shop i went to was for the maggies (can't remember which ones, maybe the 1.7s) they were ho-hum to me. lacking in any low end (unlike martin logan ESLs which at least had a bass woofer) and no sparkle on the highs. it didn't help that the dealer had accidentally put on the Axis Voicebox speakers (with ribbon tweeters) before swapping over to the maggies.

I ended up with the Axis Voicebox FLS at the end of my auditioning journey convinced then I made a perfect choice.

but with the constant attention maggies get and LRS in particular had such rave reviews for the price, i've been wondering if i made a mistake for my purchase. thank you, for confirming what my ears heard from the maggies then!

xarkkon

I mean - you're doing all this complicated measurements on this ultra expensive Klippel machine to be able to objectively "see" the louspeaker's audio performace and from there predict it's performance in real room (disregarding modes of course). But in this case I see it as complete flop.
"Simple" quasianechoic measurement would much closer predict real room behavior of this loudspeaker.
i'm confused, what's the flop here? how would a quasianechoic measurement help anything? hasn't anechoic always been the gold standard measurements wise?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
hasn't anechoic always been the gold standard measurements wise?

Apparently so, but when asked if listening to a pair of speakers in an anechoic environment would be good, the answer I've seen to that question is "nooooooo".

So then some numbers get juggled from the anechoic or pseudo-anechoic measurements to simulate their room response, but I've not seen a description of the simulated room (coulda missed it, my attention span and knowledge of the scientific data and/or proprietary algorithms is not what it could be).

I'm just glad I'm deaf and dumb enough to like the horrible things I already have in a practical, and often measured, way.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not going to argue whether these are good speakers or not. Or what people heard in their own experience.

I have never had or heard the LRS. What I am trying to understand is whether the measurements reflect reality and how.

When you do a scientific experiment and you get unexpected results compared to common observations, you try to understand the reasons. But first you check if the experiment is measuring what it is supposed to measure and second if the interpretation of that is related to reality especially if it conflicts with other experience/observations/measurements.

It is fairly non-controversial that small Maggies are bass-deficient. But the rolling off starting at 300hz seems very odd. This is not reflective of small Maggies (unless the LRS is really hosed). The Maggies are a trade-off of a number of things. If they were that deficient in general for all of their smaller ones, I very much doubt that people would have kept them in the numbers they did. But that is subjective and NOT my point. But it does cause one to say "wait a minute"...

I did a quick measurement of the 25 year old SMGa using REW. Restored as described here ( https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...n-makes-a-video-for-the-lrs.14769/post-477571 )

Here are my L and R measurements (no EQ, no processing, nothing in the way).

View attachment 83849

There is some room mode effects especially below 100hz, but in no way can this be considered as rolling off from 300hz. The mids around 500-700hz have a bump up, not sure whether that is a room mode or the an effect of the crossover at 800hz is not clear. As I had mentioned earlier in this thread, I cross them at 100hz (by disabled for this measurements) to the sub. But they are relatively flat down to about 90hz or so. And no, they don't sound anywhere near what Amir described it as although it is difficult to calibrate such subjective descriptions.

So
1. The measured 300 hz roll-off is definitely not a given for small Maggies (not even for this 25 year old model). This would be a wrong conclusion to draw from this review.
2. Unless the LRS is really screwed up in which case, I think they should be burnt to have shows such a dismal measurement, one has to explore reasons.

Repeatability (not just in one experiment) but by others is one significant requirement for establishing validity of a scientific experiment. Is there a single REW of the LRS anywhere else that shows such a roll-off? A valid question to ask. Next, is the measurement that has a huge discrepancy valid?

Now one might say, there may be something odd or unusual about my set up that is causing it to measure better than it is. So I did a control measurement that actually is similar to what a 300hz roll-off might look like (exact same audio chain but for center).

View attachment 83859

Once can even credibly claim that this starts to roll off around 500. This is for another model of Maggie, a pair of wall-mounted $325/pair MMG-Ws used as phantom center. MMG-W is the tiniest of the Maggies and not designed for low extension but does well as a phantom center to match bigger Maggie mains. So, there is nothing compensating to make any of them sound better than they are.

Is the LRS really more like the tiny MMG-Ws (I would find it hard to believe) or is there a discrepancy that needs to be explained? Can we find one corroborating measurement of the LRS that supports the measurements here? These are valid questions to ask in the interests of science alone.

Nothing to do with whether one likes or does not like these speakers.
(Wow, an even bigger vertical scale (dB)!) Nearly 160dB covered by Y-axis! (should be more like 50dB covered on the vertical scale)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So then some numbers get juggled from the anechoic or pseudo-anechoic measurements to simulate their room response, but I've not seen a description of the simulated room (coulda missed it, my attention span and knowledge of the scientific data and/or proprietary algorithms is not what it could be).
Here is the ASR Klippel NFS predicted in-room response vs the response at listening position in rather my weird shaped room of my ex Kali IN-8:

1600588869013.png

Above the modal region around 300 Hz the matching is imho impressively good, would be interesting though to see also similar measurements from other members with different rooms, placements and listening distances to see how well it works and where its limitations are.

Toole shows more similar comparisons in his book and this AES paper https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17839

1600589411708.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom