• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Forest Fires, Air Quality, Weather Patterns, ...The World ...

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Aren't you living in or near a forest?

No, I'm on the edge of a precipice, just above it.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
No, I'm on the edge of a precipice, just above it.

No problem.

Please report immediately to Block 17 Unit 47-12(B) for your own safety.

Silly Valley

Forum Donor
The word ' restored ' suggests a norm , humans can't maintain a desired climate of the earth and the earth is not beholden to life.

Climate will be what it will be , it's been hospital and allowed life to flourish for some time . That will change at some point , maybe slowly, maybe relatively quickly.. no one really knows .

Climate is just another area for the human delusion to take hold , we always think we are the center of everything.

.... This exactly! All we can do is be good stewards of the environment as much as practical. And that includes new greener technologies scaled up as feasible not by unobtainable or unrealistic arbitrary timelines. Even our best efforts to mitigate our impact on the environment while necessary and worthwhile, pale in comparison to what mother nature can do. We are humans, not gods. Anyone who tells you we can take our climate back to a certain point in time is making a promise humanity is not capable of fulfilling at this time.

Consider sun spots and solar variation, the earth's ever moving iron core, associated magnetic field and axial tilt, volcanoes, and other factors beyond our control. Such things are among the biggest influences on weather and in the long term, climate. These cycles have been in play from the beginning and all we can hope to do is minimize our impact on the trajectory. Our effort will at best amout to a nudge, not a change of course. It will all change, whether we exist or not as it always has.

As to the fires, here in California even our environmentally friendly uber green Governor has admitted that poor forest management was a contributing factor to this disaster. There are plenty in forest management professionals that also agree. We now have as much as 4-5 times the fuel in some areas of our forests compared to several decades ago. Combine that with the drought of a few years ago, beetle infestations, a few other things and thousands of lightning strikes and you have the perfect storm.

The fires in Northern California over the last couple of years also raise other questions. One that I really feel needs more investigation is why in dry, fuel rich, wind swept areas has there not been more effort put into underground power lines. Everyone is quick to blame the utility company and they do bare fault for some of these previous disasters. To be fair, I think there are other groups at fault as well, in particular state regulators and officials. Much of the funds which could have been used for maintenance and system upgrades were due to mandates by officials diverted to green power sources. While this is an enviable goal, perhaps the amount diverted should have been less so as to allow for infrastructure improvements and maintenance as eventually even this green power will travel through much of the same grid. And as a reward, we now have a system which is not capable of supporting peak demand. Inexcusable! Brilliant isn't it?

Back to the current fires, there are many contributing factors and yes, you can argue climate change is one. That however, is a longer term fix. Short term, we had and still have practical things that can be done which can break the chain of events which lead to these disasters. Better forest management is one. 'Let it grow wild and free' has proven to not be good policy. For the non believers, there are areas in these western fires where the differences in adjacent area fire behavior between managed and not are very apparent. Bottom line for me, the solution is not just addressing climate change. That will not get us there in our lifetime. We most take a multi pronged approach including short term practical steps, policy changes, investments in infrastructure and a sensible transition to greener power. Not an arbitrary transition mandated by self promoting policy makers.

On a side note, A photo from a couple of weeks ago while descending into the SF Bay Area taken around 18,000 ft with smoke layers above and below. Once in the lower layer, we did not see the ground until about 800'AGL.
asmk.jpg

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I know we have crews from Quebec (where I was born) helping California forest fighters.
From British Columbia (where I live right now for the last 45 years) we are sending more than 200 in Oregon to help the forest fighters there, and another 50 from Alberta.

Canadians always give a hand to their brothers and sisters and neighbors in need of help.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-firefighters-oregon-wildfires-2020-1.5727775

I worked in the forest industry for the major part of my life, so I know how it is.
I'm from a family and friends of land managers, forest workers, steel industry, building designers, landscapers, artist musicians and singers and painters, wildlife protectors, land irrigation, forest management, nurses, pharmacists, hospital professionals, humanitarians, people helpers, planet helpers, ...all that jazz. It's our health, all of us together. Health is life.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Why on Earth would they do that!
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/18/us/oregon-wildfires-roadblock-trnd/index.html

Anyone has a clue ^ as for the reason why?
It's mind boggling.
_____

They are running out of names! ...For hurricanes.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/18/weather/tropical-storm-wilfred-forms/index.html
_____

* Did you know that the clouds of smoke travelled across the Atlantic and are above some European regions?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemima...from-west-coast-wildfires-has-reached-europe/

More ... (Maps, Graphics, Images)
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54180049

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
No problem.

Please report immediately to Block 17 Unit 47-12(B) for your own safety.

I'm near the ocean Ray, near the cliffs; the mountains and forests are just behind in my backyard. I have Arbutus trees, Oak trees, Chestnut, Apple, Plum, etc., etc., etc. ...Fir, Hemlock, Cedar, Christmas trees. But I'm not on a mountain with forest...I'm just above sea level...I had to replace my speakers wires every few years because of corrosion...salty air from the ocean.

Last edited:
OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
most likely they set up illegal roadblocks because they are idiots who have been fed a diet of hate and fear on certain faux news outlets, so want to keep "bad" people out of their neighborhoods

We don't have that where I live, you have that where you live?
Is this a universal mentality or just specific to certain world regions?
Looting yes, that we have some of it...losers.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
most likely they set up illegal roadblocks because they are idiots who have been fed a diet of hate and fear on certain faux news outlets, so want to keep "bad" people out of their neighborhoods

I wonder where they got the idea?

1600454076816.png

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't follow fake leaders
Watch the parking meters...

ta240

Major Contributor
Why on Earth would they do that!
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/18/us/oregon-wildfires-roadblock-trnd/index.html

Anyone has a clue ^ as for the reason why?
It's mind boggling.

Trying to keep out looters. They aren't blocking emergency vehicles.
I'm not saying it is a good idea but when we were evacuated from our home I was more worried about coming home to a ransacked house than a destroyed house.

"Fifteen arrests have been made in connection with looting in evacuation zones, Roberts said, and some citizens are expressing concern. "
- If they've made 15 arrests just imagine how many they haven't caught.

"Hart said that as of this weekend eight cases of looting have been dealt with by his office in the parts of the state that have been evacuated due to fires. He predicted “there’s going to be more” once more homeowners are cleared to return. "

"A firefighter’s marked car was burglarized by looters who decided to take advantage of the wildfires devastating California, officials revealed Sunday. The unidentified firefighter’s wallet was stolen and his bank account drained while he directed firefighting crews in Santa Cruz "

"Officials say they responded to reports of looting friday and arrested people in two vehicles. "

"At least 13 people have been arrested on suspicion of looting or planning to loot neighborhoods in Santa Cruz County, officials said "

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There has been some looting. But this took place in/near an evacuation zone - so it is most likely based on fear-mongering having found fertile ground to grow in the compost heap of their brains.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Trying to keep out looters. They aren't blocking emergency vehicles.
I'm not saying it is a good idea but when we were evacuated from our home I was more worried about coming home to a ransacked house than a destroyed house.

"Fifteen arrests have been made in connection with looting in evacuation zones, Roberts said, and some citizens are expressing concern. "
- If they've made 15 arrests just imagine how many they haven't caught.

"Hart said that as of this weekend eight cases of looting have been dealt with by his office in the parts of the state that have been evacuated due to fires. He predicted “there’s going to be more” once more homeowners are cleared to return. "

"A firefighter’s marked car was burglarized by looters who decided to take advantage of the wildfires devastating California, officials revealed Sunday. The unidentified firefighter’s wallet was stolen and his bank account drained while he directed firefighting crews in Santa Cruz "

"Officials say they responded to reports of looting friday and arrested people in two vehicles. "

"At least 13 people have been arrested on suspicion of looting or planning to loot neighborhoods in Santa Cruz County, officials said "

I don't know exactly why, but it looks like a scam of sort, or very deranged people.
Long jail sentences is the only way to deal with it, more police to patrol those low life losers.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Long jail sentences is the only way to deal with it, more police to patrol those low life losers.

You would think so..

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/reports/pie2020.html

I'll do my best to remain free...

https://prisonfinder.org/prisonoffenders

I know (knew) someone from work in Texas that made a boo boo.

Looks like he's still in, since 1995.

1600498225892.png

Doesn't look too happy.

Probably misses his Magnepans and Drums and everything else we take for granted.

He was the main IT guy at WilTel/WorldCom for a couple of hundred NeXT stations for software development for Network Management of their national Frame Relay and ATM networks.

His story was a consensual but barely underaged sexual encounter, possibly with a relative, reported by another relative, in Oklahoma, sometime in the 80's.

He shoulda hopped the border into Mexico and just disappeared.

I might do that myself, sometime.

Last edited:
OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Earlier this morning the sky had blue openings. An hour later the sun projected few rays.
Right now it is roughly 99% covered by clouds, normal rain clouds it appears.
It is 19° (Canadian degrees). I can see the mountains for the first time in two weeks.
The air smell Fall...normal Fall. The smell of smoke has considerably receded, good.

The purple flowers look purple, good. I can start to breathe fresher and healthier air...I truly need that personally. I feel for the people who lost everything, and more for their loved ones. You can rebuild a home, but not the missing people. You cannot resurrect the departed. And a true home is where the heart is...in people you love.

We take it one day @ a time, with what the winds bring to us each and every day.
Health first before wealth.

P.S. Ray, you brought some stuff out of sci-fi book for people with an eye into the surrealist reality, scary stuff, almost. Yes, better be free than be in jail surrounded by one of those bunches. That would be a good thread on social rehabilitation ...
* That guy (picture) has a purple nose.

Last edited:
OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Top Bottom