• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ErinsAudioCorner

vavan

I'll re-post another hopefully this afternoon
may be share it privately with some fellow members before opening to public?

Ericglo

Unless you know for sure, then you can't be positive either way. Samsung/Harman is large enough to have SB or any manufacturer make custom drivers for their use only.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Absolutely. I stated in the video that I "assume" SB makes them but I am told that is incorrect. Frankly, it's of little consequence to me who makes them. I just don't want to spread misinformation if I can help from it. So, no big deal... I'll just do another video tonight.

I have reached out to Harman, though, to see if they can offer any insight. We shall see.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would anyone happen to know who makes the drivers in the Concerta2 series, like the Revel M16?

Ericglo

Absolutely. I stated in the video that I "assume" SB makes them but I am told that is incorrect. Frankly, it's of little consequence to me who makes them. I just don't want to spread misinformation if I can help from it. So, no big deal... I'll just do another video tonight.

I have reached out to Harman, though, to see if they can offer any insight. We shall see.

I should have quoted Beave, as he said they aren't SB drivers. In actuality, they could be.

I was ok with your use of the word "assume". Either way, as you say it makes no difference. Probably the only people that would even care are those that DIY.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Only problem with the new video is I have to put the same shirt I wore yesterday back on so when I merge the new parts with the ones from yesterday they don't look odd. :D :D

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Oh... for those who aren’t part of my Facebook group, you might want to join. (If you don’t “do” Facebook, you don’t have to announce it to us)

4144B198-BB4D-4699-B2EC-BAC73915F4B8.png
A673BFDF-E409-4D63-86E3-128B0AE55F5D.png

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
According to former SB people Revel now use SB copies in their designs. Probably equally good though. Maybe its more to the story also.....

<snip>

I know that guy (Richard Hall). That's not you, is it?... He and I are car audio buddies and friends on FB. You mind linking me to that discussion?

bambadoo

Its not me :) I am totally innocent :) Peaceful guy from Norway...
Send you a pm...

Hmm, dont want to start a riot. We act very different on different things based on where we live and of course different cultures etc... But what is on the internet, stays on the internet

Last edited:

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Yikes. That's a great way to get a massive lawsuit from a large company - talk about internal affairs. :facepalm:
I don't have a clue about Harman's relations with SB or how the current Revel drivers compare with the SB's. All I can say is that the SB's are exceptional, to the point where I'm using them in my new BMR and Mini. Plus, they're very reasonably priced. If Harman's are copies, it just goes to show how important even minor per-unit cost savings are to a real speaker company.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have a clue about Harman's relations with SB or how the current Revel drivers compare with the SB's. All I can say is that the SB's are exceptional, to the point where I'm using them in my new BMR and Mini. Plus, they're very reasonably priced. If Harman's are copies, it just goes to show how important even minor per-unit cost savings are to a real speaker company.
Yes, of course it's important to any manufacturing. Doesn't mean that publicly talking about it from current or past employees should be done though.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think it's helpful to know this information. I noticed that one of the woofers on my recent production M105s has a minor gluing issue around the edge of the dustcap. Probably has no sonic consequences, but it did seem incongruous for an SB Acoustics product. Now we know it's a replica.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Yes, of course it's important to any manufacturing. Doesn't mean that publicly talking about it from current or past employees should be done though.
I think Revel can withstand this onslaught, assuming they really did use genuine SB drivers initially. If you then outsource drivers that look pretty much identical to SB Acoustic ceramics, you should expect that might get out. Most of us smaller speaker "companies" are very up front about the heritage of our drivers.

Top Bottom