• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

Aldo

[QUOTE = "EchoChamber, post: 515653, membre: 16128"] J'utilise RoPieeeXL sur le Pi intégré et il prend en charge AirPlay. Même si vous n'utilisez pas Roon. Certaines versions (ou peut-être toutes - pas sûres) de Volumio prennent également en charge AirPlay. Volumio est préinstallé. [/ QUOTE]

Vous avez raison ...
Si vous voulez chercher l'élément parfait, vous vous retrouvez avec rien du tout !!

Last edited:

Vasr

Major Contributor
If you want to look for the perfect element you end up with nothing at all

Sometimes that is just the right thing to do for upgradeitis. Has worked for me.

poopy

Question about Dac8 pro vs Dac8 stereo.

Does the pro version gives the possibility, like the stereo version, to have 2 sets of XLR outputs with same signal when using 1 AES/EBU input?

Thanks

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Question about Dac8 pro vs Dac8 stereo.

Does the pro version gives the possibility, like the stereo version, to have 2 sets of XLR outputs with same signal when using 1 AES/EBU input?

Thanks
It is up to your software but it is possible (as I have already described).

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
To me it seems that the only way with dac8 pro to have 2 set xlr with same signal is to use 2 different inputs AES/EBU.
The dac8 stereo only needs 1 input.
Could someone confirm that?
Do you realize that each AES/EBU input is a 2 channel input?

poopy

Do you realize that each AES/EBU input is a 2 channel input?

Yes, I do.
In view of your reply, what I was mentioning about the dac8 stereo is either unclear or wrong.

What I understood for the dac8 stereo is using 1 AES/EBU input, you can have 1 set of XLR output (L+R) for a preamp AND 1 set of XLR output (L+R) for active speakers SIMULTANEOUSLY with sane signal. This is only with 1 input. I couldn't confirm that as there's no user manual online.

Can't do that apparently with dac8 pro. Each set of XLR output (L+R) corresponds to 1 input AES/EBU. So I would need to use 2 inputs to have similar.

I sent a few messages to Pavel about this question, never replied. Like all my emails.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I do.
In view of your reply, what I was mentioning about the dac8 stereo is either unclear or wrong.

What I understood for the dac8 stereo is using 1 AES/EBU input, you can have 1 set of XLR output (L+R) for a preamp AND 1 set of XLR output (L+R) for active speakers SIMULTANEOUSLY with sane signal. This is only with 1 input. I couldn't confirm that as there's no user manual online.

Can't do that apparently with dac8 pro. Each set of XLR output (L+R) corresponds to 1 input AES/EBU. So I would need to use 2 inputs to have similar.

I sent a few messages to Pavel about this question, never replied. Like all my emails.
Yes, I do.

I’m having trouble understanding what you are trying to do. I thought you wanted to implement a crossover for use with subs.

1) are you trying to use the usb input or AES inputs?
2) why do you want to send the same signal to active Monitors and a preamp at the same time? Anyway all you need are 2 female to double male xlr Y cables
3) solution two is to feed the Okto AES out to aes input 2, I think this will work
4) solution three is to use the usb in and define what you want in upstream software
5) solution four is to get a nanodigi and define whatever you want and use the aes inputs with rca to xlr cables

btw the manual is on their website https://www.oktoresearch.com/assets/dac8pro/DAC8PRO_owners_manual.pdf

poopy

I’m having trouble understanding what you are trying to do. I thought you wanted to implement a crossover for use with subs.

Yes, implementing digital crossover is one of my current project as we discussed in another thread. Your comments were very helpful, thanks for that :)

Question I have regarding dac8 pro functionalities are just general questions, not directly related to my project.

1) are you trying to use the usb input or AES inputs?

Only AES input for instance coming from a network streamer

2) why do you want to send the same signal to active Monitors and a preamp at the same time?
Anyway all you need are 2 female to double male xlr Y cables

You could send same signal to an adjacent room with active speakers. 1 DAC, 2 systems.
Yes of course we can use a Y splitter. But as dac8 stereo could by default duplicate outputs, I was wondering if dac8 pro could do the same. Apparently no. That's silly to have to use a Y splitter if you have a few sets of outputs on your DAC that you don't use.

3) solution two is to feed the Okto AES out to aes input 2, I think this will work

Haven't thought about that! :) May do the trick.

4) solution three is to use the usb in and define what you want in upstream software

If a simple streamer is used, there's no such a software.

5) solution four is to get a nanodigi and define whatever you want and use the aes inputs with rca to xlr cables.

This could be a solution, nanodigi are cheap devices.

I can't see in both manuals (stereo and pro) any mention of possibility to duplicate outputs from 1 input.

Thanks

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I can't see in both manuals (stereo and pro) any mention of possibility to duplicate outputs from 1 input.
The answer is in associated software, not in the Okto hardware which simply does what the software directs.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
6) ? You could also do AES IN -> USB out -> PC/computer (map channels 1/2 ->3/4) -> USB IN (bi-directional).
In other words, use the bi-directional USB as a channel mapping loop, with AES 1/2 as your source.

I have to admit I like 3) though - very clever!

Very interesting application - you could even set Ch1/2 vs Ch3/4 output gains independently, as well as change them live, with the remote.
Okto Pro is kind of the Swiss army knife of DACs.

Oh, and...
7) You could take the Okto AES outputs and feed them to a DSP/processor box, like the Venu360, but.....
:eek:

poopy

The answer is in associated software, not in the Okto hardware which simply does what the software directs.

What software are you referring to? If I use Aries G1 as streamer with no computer/pc I can’t select anything.

poopy

6) ? You could also do AES IN -> USB out -> PC/computer (map channels 1/2 ->3/4) -> USB IN (bi-directional).
In other words, use the bi-directional USB as a channel mapping loop, with AES 1/2 as your source.

Very interesting application - you could even set Ch1/2 vs Ch3/4 output gains independently, as well as change them live, with the remote.

Oh, and...
7) You could take the Okto AES outputs and feed them to a DSP/processor box, like the Venu360, but.....

As you own the dac8 pro, I would really appreciate if you could confirm that option 3) does work?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
What software are you referring to? If I use Aries G1 as streamer with no computer/pc I can’t select anything.
Never mind then.

poopy

Oh, and...

Last night I went through all the posts form the thread dedicated to the dac8 pro.
One post of Okto Research drew my attention particularly. Pavel was explaining how to get performances similar to the dac8 stereo when using the dac8 pro for stereo only:

The easiest way is just to simply connect the required number of channels together externally (DAC8 PRO outputs don't mind that). Each doubling of the number of summed channels will cause sqrt(2)-times decrease in RMS noise value due to its uncorrelated nature and normal distribution.

Because the full-scale output voltage remains the same, this results in 3dB dynamic range improvement for 2 summed channels, 6dB for 4 channels and 9dB for 8 channels (mono operation), pushing the dynamic range from the original 125dB to 128dB, 131dB or 134dB respectively (or reducing the RMS noise value from the original 2.4uV RMS to 1.7uV, 1.2uV or 0.84uV). Channel routing needs to be set appropriately in the menu

I don’t really see in practice how to do that. Have you tried that?
Does that mean that all the 4 AES/EBU inputs are simultaneously used and a 4-to-1 XLR cable is used for each channel?

Thanks for your help

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Last night I went through all the posts form the thread dedicated to the dac8 pro.
One post of Okto Research drew my attention particularly. Pavel was explaining how to get performances similar to the dac8 stereo when using the dac8 pro for stereo only:

The easiest way is just to simply connect the required number of channels together externally (DAC8 PRO outputs don't mind that). Each doubling of the number of summed channels will cause sqrt(2)-times decrease in RMS noise value due to its uncorrelated nature and normal distribution.

Because the full-scale output voltage remains the same, this results in 3dB dynamic range improvement for 2 summed channels, 6dB for 4 channels and 9dB for 8 channels (mono operation), pushing the dynamic range from the original 125dB to 128dB, 131dB or 134dB respectively (or reducing the RMS noise value from the original 2.4uV RMS to 1.7uV, 1.2uV or 0.84uV). Channel routing needs to be set appropriately in the menu

I don’t really see in practice how to do that. Have you tried that?
Does that mean that all the 4 AES/EBU inputs are simultaneously used and a 4-to-1 XLR cable is used for each channel?

Thanks for your help
B455FBD0-3E26-4108-9BE4-B2F129F5B794 (1).jpeg
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...okto-dac8-stereo-dac-review.14705/post-511180
On the top right, there's a board bridges the channels. So the board underneath are essentially the same as 8 Ch version. You can use wires connection the pins on the XLR socket pin by pin accordingly. Just to make sure different channels are outputting the same output otherwise you would short out the outputs (won't do harm but you get low output level)

Last edited:
Top Bottom