• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Forest Fires, Air Quality, Weather Patterns, ...The World ...

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Apocalyptic ... even more so with fire retardant (Pink Goo) ...
But it did save some homes and buildings. It's going to take some time to rebuild.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Smoke from the forest fires? I would think so, but without further scientific analyses ...

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, that's not a mechanism thats within the realm of human influence. What's ' normal ' ?

Every Human on earth could die tomorrow and you'd still over time have quite dramatic climate variation.

I don't know what he meant by normal, but it is human influence that has altered today's climate, and humans can restore the climatic state to what is was in the 1950's with a lot of effort after about a half century.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I don't know what he meant by normal, but it is human influence that has altered today's climate, and humans can restore the climatic state to what is was in the 1950's with a lot of effort after about a half century.
Really !? Altered yes , restore.. no definitely not . Who knows what would of happened anyway.

ta240

Major Contributor
Apocalyptic ... even more so with fire retardant (Pink Goo) ...
But it did save some homes and buildings. It's going to take some time to rebuild.

It is still hard for me to get used to seeing forest fires wipe out tract housing neighborhoods, businesses and entire towns. It was one thing expecting that it could happen when you live in an isolated rural area but now we've built crowded developments right up to the wilderness.

We used to drive to other towns around here through hilly wooded areas and think it was pretty but didn't like the fire risk in those areas; now when I see that I think it is too easy for fire to sweep up the hills into the developments and right through main street.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
It is still hard for me to get used to seeing forest fires wipe out tract housing neighborhoods, businesses and entire towns. It was one thing expecting that it could happen when you live in an isolated rural area but now we've built crowded developments right up to the wilderness.

We used to drive to other towns around here through hilly wooded areas and think it was pretty but didn't like the fire risk in those areas; now when I see that I think it is too easy for fire to sweep up the hills into the developments and right through main street.

You have the right point right there. It's nice to have a home in the forest, with trees, wildlife. But on the West coast in the years we live in, with forest management lacking, with climate change ignored, it is imperative to clear the area.

Look @ where towns like Dubai are build ... excellent forest management.

* It's hot, it's dry, the soil, and when lightenings strike anything can go up in flames.
It don't matter if you pass the vacuum on the forest's floor/carpet.
Build some distance from the tree lines, that's one measure, but be aware that burning ashes travel with the winds and fall on house's roofs.
So build fireproof roofs.

Intelligent water irrigation systems in dry areas are another measure.
Find the water, bring it there aplenty and make it follow the right directions.
Dig artificial lakes, bring parts of icebergs by choppers, be imaginative, inventive, creative, ready. Invest in protection of the lands and of the people. Invest in cleaner air, better control of the ozone layer, and less Co2 in the atmosphere...go electric, go solar, go wind, go ocean waves, get water sticks...Well Well Well.

911lTQwDzUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really !? Altered yes , restore.. no definitely not . Who knows what would of happened anyway.

what makes you believe that climatic states cannot be restored?

that has happened thousands of times in Earth's history

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Last edited:

ta240

Major Contributor
You have the right point right there. It's nice to have a home in the forest, with trees, wildlife. But on the West coast in the years we live in, with forest management lacking, with climate change ignored, it is imperative to clear the area....

I could adjust to clearing things out if I had acres or even an acre of land but when you are on a tiny little portion of an acre with houses all around and the fire sweeps in there is not much that can be done:
temp.jpg

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
The town is surrounded by close proximity to forests, to hot climate, to dry soil, to lightnings, to global warming. And people live where they can afford it.

Oregon is a beautiful country, with beautiful sceneries, forests aplenty, magic roads to drive, ... it's not anymore like say thirty years ago when the climate was wetter and cooler.

What can be done?

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What can be done?

"too many people" never seems to be recognized as a possibly significant factor in any problem, so I expect nothing will be done.

My mistake.

China recognized it, for a while, then relented. Maybe it wasn't seen as profitable in the mid-term.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-child_policy

What I remember finding interesting about even that relatively harsh measure was that, when calculated, the peak population would still not occur for 60 years or so.

Welcome Home!

1600322450659.png

inception.gif

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
what makes you believe that climatic states cannot be restored?

that has happened thousands of times in Earth's history
The word ' restored ' suggests a norm , humans can't maintain a desired climate of the earth and the earth is not beholden to life.

Climate will be what it will be , it's been hospital and allowed life to flourish for some time . That will change at some point , maybe slowly, maybe relatively quickly.. no one really knows .

Climate is just another area for the human delusion to take hold , we always think we are the center of everything.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor

That ^ , that's what they need to build in California deserts.
Take the people living in the forests and send them there, in affordable and safe housings. Now we're talking positive solutions.

* Today the visibility is nil, again. The smell of burn is still very strong, the air quality extremely bad...headaches, chest pain...the full canopy of health problems.
...And with COVID-19 the perfect storm.
It's been almost two weeks now that we cannot be outside, without wearing a quality mask, and even then it is unsupportable. You need an oxygen mask, and this is no joke.

When you can't see the mountains across, when the ocean is invisible, when the skies are grey without an ounce of blue, when you can look @ the sun directly into the eyes, ...that's when it's time to stay inside and spin some tunes.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Take the people living in the forests and send them there, in affordable and safe housings. Now we're talking positive solutions.

Aren't you living in or near a forest?

Top Bottom