• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

raykkho

Forum Donor
Thanks, as I read the clock, power supply and volume control are different in M. Not sure if they have big impact to sound, but reading from review of element i it looks like a decent box and I assume M is a step up from I.
Does M only provide unbalanced headphone output? I thought headphone amp part in X, M and I are the same
Only the X has balanced head amp.

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Hi @MatrixAudio,
I'm deciding between Element X and Element M, mainly used as streamer/DAC for speaker setup (XLR connect to stereo integrated amplifier). Can you help to outline the main differences between X and M except for the chipset (9038pro/9028pro)?
I use Logitech Harmony to control all IR based devices but couldn't find your device listed there. Is element X/M compatible with Logitech Harmony Hub?
And one more question: is it better to use volume control of element X/M or my stereo amplifier? And if I use volume control of my amplifier can I use element X/M as DAC with fixed line-out?
Thank you in advance!
Sorry for my delay.
Yes the table of model compare is very detailed. hope that helps.
Yes you can set the output mode of element X/M to Fixed, and then control volume by your integrated amp.
Not sure if it works with Harmoney Hub. Sorry.

somy

Sorry for my delay.
Yes the table of model compare is very detailed. hope that helps.
Yes you can set the output mode of element X/M to Fixed, and then control volume by your integrated amp.
Not sure if it works with Harmoney Hub. Sorry.
Thanks ordered element M will receive tomorrow :)

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi @MatrixAudio,
I'm deciding between Element X and Element M, mainly used as streamer/DAC for speaker setup (XLR connect to stereo integrated amplifier). Can you help to outline the main differences between X and M except for the chipset (9038pro/9028pro)?
I use Logitech Harmony to control all IR based devices but couldn't find your device listed there. Is element X/M compatible with Logitech Harmony Hub?
And one more question: is it better to use volume control of element X/M or my stereo amplifier? And if I use volume control of my amplifier can I use element X/M as DAC with fixed line-out?
Thank you in advance!
I use the Harmony remote and it works with my Element i, so I'm sure it would work with the other models. The Matrix components are not listed in the Harmony database so you have to "train" your remote using the Matrix remote. Went smoothly for me :)

somy

I use the Harmony remote and it works with my Element i, so I'm sure it would work with the other models. The Matrix components are not listed in the Harmony database so you have to "train" your remote using the Matrix remote. Went smoothly for me :)
Thanks but it’s a nontrivial to make custom device work with harmony hub. I had many issues with custom device which doesn’t power on/off correctly in an activity :-(

TGB

Good news from Matrix Audio.

"In the new version, we have added dimmer option for customer which are 5s/30s/120s/off."

Estimated by end of month.

raykkho

Forum Donor
Good news from Matrix Audio.

"In the new version, we have added dimmer option for customer which are 5s/30s/120s/off."

Estimated by end of month.

Good news, wonder if there's anything else in the new FW.

TGB

We already know there will be a lot connected to dimmed display and remote click.

TGB

Reason for this month delay was that the app also had to be updated. Currently it is in internal testing, so let's hope we will get this version within the end of September *crossing fingers*

TGB

New firmware is out. You need to update the app on phone first.
Then check for update.

I have only noticed one glitch. If you use the Element X as Roon endpoint, display is dimmed, and you use IR remote to adjust volume. It still does not adjust volume on first click. But volume works directly from Roon, or on other sources with IR remote on first click.

B61601
1. Local picture display functionality added.
2. Added the functionality of configure the wireless connection through LAN connection.
3. Fix the issue that Roon occasionally failed to playback when the device is not set to NETWORK input channel.
4. Fix the issue that the device occasionally does not display the SSID after switched between wired and wireless connection.
5. Fix the issue that the device does not automatically enter stand-by in some cases after AirPlay stopped.
6. Fix the issue that the device does not automatically enter stand-by in some cases after ROON playback stopped.
7. Fix the issue that the screen flickering when the device awakened from Sleep mode by playing music from Tidal in MA Remote app.
8. Fix the issue that the displayed input channel occasionally does not match the actual input channel after exits Dimmer mode.
9. Display the current address code when entering the remote control setting option.
10. Tidal playback optimized.

Weirdly enough release notes does not explain the new setting for display off timer. It is part of the solution and working fine :)

Last edited:

raykkho

Forum Donor
Thanks for the heads-up, wonder what they meant by Tidal playback optimized.

somy

"1. Local picture display functionality added." doesn't seem to work for me. I still have many albums w/o cover art...

TGB

IMG_2DA70AF1BB17-1.jpeg

Vladimir_Kl

I would like to thank @MatrixAudio for fixing volume adjustment from Roon in dimmer mode. I think that volume from IR remote also works correctly in dimmer mode now - it shows current volume on first click, then does change on second. So from my point of view Element X controls are very close to ideal right now except for missing one little feature - ability to toggle pause/play of Roon playback from IR remote. Currently it has mute button but it's not very useful as it just turns off sound without pausing playback. It would be great to have a setting for this in next software updates - so mute button will act like pause.

somy

Anybody noticed when using physical volume control on iPhone, it sends volume commands to the device regardless if the app is running or sleep in the background? It's a nice thought behind the feature but shouldn't volume adjustment only take effect when the app is in use?

sonusfaberx

How's the iOS MA Remote App on the X? I am having issues with it lately with my M. I have updated both my OS to iOS 14, updated the App and firmware, same thing, can't detect the network(wifi or LAN). Seems isolated to iOS since I got 6 devices that I tried, only Android and Roon works fine.

Top Bottom