• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio P452 Purifi Based Stereo Power Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
PS... you might want to indicate L, W, H for the dimensions on your site, or label them in a consistent order.

HiFi is traditionally quoted WxHxD or WxDxH. (less common) Has been since Adam was a boy.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
To power the LCR channels in the home theatre, that'd take...
  • 3 x P451 @$1,165.50/per = $3496.50
OR
  • 1 x P451 @$1,165.50/per + 1 x P452 @$1,600.00/per = $2765.50
A difference of $731.00

Since both setups would be driven by one Purifi 1ET400A per channel, does the cost difference come down to the case expense, and the additional labour to build/test/ship 3 amps vs 2? Or, is there something material to performance which would make somebody spend the premium for 3 P451 monoblocks?

TL;DR - Other than the aesthetic preference & placement flexibility, is there an objective technical benefit to 3 x P451 VS 1 P451 + 1 P452?

Monoblocks have the advantage of allowing you to place them next to the speakers facilitating short as possible speaker cables. It is better to have short speaker cables and long interconnects. Plus that slim form factor usually works better aesthetically in that circumstance.
Monoblocks will have improved crosstalk, well none to be precise :)
Monoblocks dont share a PSU, its voltage will modulate less with the reduced load.
Monoblocks will soon be featuring an updated input buffer with lower noise than the already exceptionally quiet one in the P452. Of interest to people who have very high sensitivity speakers such as horns.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Regardless of tradition, the way it's shown on the site is inconsistent between the two.

I'm sure Alan will adjust the dimensions to be consistent. He might even fix up the minor grammatical errors too. ;)

1599984268153.png

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very nice work , a compelling package overall not only this amp but also the monos .

Many other purify offerings comes with some “mumbo jumbo” discrete op amps and secret sauce ?

You offer us to have the best possible performance out of these amp modules with good connectors , somewhat free choice of gain ( if one contacts you and arrange for it ) and a nice case and good implementation.

What are the competitors doing ? I’m a little miffed by what they are doing deliberately derails what this tech could do.

You are doing the logical thing and offers what everyone else should sell as a basic purify amp , but in the screwed up world of audiophiles they are not doing that :)

It’s good for you but a bit sad that doing reasonable engineering is niche in hifi nowadays ? When it should be mainstream?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Brunos name is Putzeys not Putzey. You wouldnt go Putzeys`s would you?

March Audio is your brand. It should read March Audio's.

The apostrophe for BP is missing. It should be placed after either the s, or you can add an apostrophe and another s. Both are correct. No apostrophe is incorrect. It should read Bruno Putzeys' or Bruno Putzeys's.

Now, have that drink. :)

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
March Audio is your brand. It should read March Audio's.

The apostrophe for BP is missing. It should be placed after either the s, or you can add an apostrophe and another s. Both are correct. No apostrophe is incorrect. It should read Bruno Putzeys' or Bruno Putzeys's.

Now, have that drink. :)
Thank you :)

Update done

Also the dimensions of the P451 were actually incorrect as we have very recently increased the size of the case.

1599987602010.png

1599987624194.png

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Also the dimensions of the P451 were actually incorrect as we have very recently increased the size of the case.

Did you actually make the Al case itself bigger? I thought it was the ETI terminals that increased the overall maximum dimensions including protrusions.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Here you go Sal. ;)

A pair of Sony TAN-77es the same as mine. Run the pair in mono and get ~600wpc@8R and ~1KW@4R. Each meter is over 6" diagonal. 26.5kg each- 53kg for the pair- you need a decent shelf. I have mine along the top of a solid timber buffet. You don't really want to stack them in summer- they run pretty toasty.

(not my pic)
View attachment 82761
Them must be about the sexiest amps ever made, just outrageously beautiful.
But I'm still a sucker for my old Phase Linear 700B.
I've a strong visual bias dating back to around 1975 or 76 when I drooled over one on the shelf at Pacific Stereo for a couple years.
Then finally when the Series II amps were released they put that store demo on a super close-out sale and I bought it.
Bought a brand new walnut cabinet for it and I was all set.
Was a real compliment catcher with all the WOW's etc. LOL
And IMO it was still way more handsome with the analog VU meters than the new Series II with it's space age LED meters, BLAH
maxresdefault.jpg

Now this is a beauty. ;)
e9b0ae09b0620cb3da41f7aeb7d6e308.jpg

Newk Yuler

OPA1612 in the input buffers the same as the reference (or evaluation) design?

Also, damn if you couldn't have released the stereo Purifi amp a couple of weeks ago so I could have considered it before dropping the funds on a couple of similar French Audiophonics Purifi amps. Which are a little less expensive and made with cheaper cabinets which doesn't bother me because I appreciate the value. I am however going to replace the generic binding posts for some copper posts that your amps already use. Which removes some of the initial value. It's never made sense to me for power amplifiers to use brass binding posts that are much worse conductors than copper.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
And IMO it was still way more handsome with the analog VU meters than the new Series II with it's space age LED meters

I agree. The 700B is just such a classic power amp. LED meters are nice, but big analog ones are better.

That said, the big Yamaha MX-xxxx series did the vertical red power meters really well. They always reminded me of some power station control panels.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Them must be about the sexiest amps ever made, just outrageously beautiful.
But I'm still a sucker for my old Phase Linear 700B.
I've a strong visual bias dating back to around 1975 or 76 when I drooled over one on the shelf at Pacific Stereo for a couple years.
Then finally when the Series II amps were released they put that store demo on a super close-out sale and I bought it.
Bought a brand new walnut cabinet for it and I was all set.
Was a real compliment catcher with all the WOW's etc. LOL
And IMO it was still way more handsome with the analog VU meters than the new Series II with it's space age LED meters, BLAH
maxresdefault.jpg

Now this is a beauty. ;)
e9b0ae09b0620cb3da41f7aeb7d6e308.jpg
The amp of choice to drive Bose 901's. Yes they were very nice looking, until they blew up. :oops:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The amp of choice to drive Bose 901's. Yes they were very nice looking, until they blew up.
I think when mine blew up while driving my Klipsch LaScala's, it produced the loudest noise I ever heard from a loud speaker.
My neighbor called and asked about a earthquake or some such shit. LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That said, the big Yamaha MX-xxxx series did the vertical red power meters really well. They always reminded me of some power station control panels
Class D tech is getting us very close to building the Krell's Great Machine
"Monsters John, Monsters From The ID"

Omar Cumming

Compatible with RCA to balanced adapters and 110 volts?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom