• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

nikkon

I’m curious about the internals and how is made inside

Feyire

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It’s probably due to the “refreshing” period of the display. Short shutter time in camera is able to catch that. It’s not visible for human’s eye :)
Yes, the display is perfect, my iPhone camera was too fast...

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Any early listening impressions? What is your firmware version?
Too early to be conclusive, but nothing is broken, it sounds like music. :-D

Very clear and detailed. Perhaps a tad more “natural” than the D90 in timbre. I do like to give it some time and see how the sound evolves (no, I’m not going to use the “b” word)... I’ll share my subjective impressions in a few days.

Firmware v1.01

EchoChamber

Forum Donor

Lefteris

The Dac8 landed to replace a Benchmark Dac2. Only need to set up Volumio, till then will feeding from a mac mini. Will follow up with fist impressions and comparison to the Dac2.

Okto Dac8.jpg

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Awesome, would you mind sharing your order number and date of order? how do you like the silver finish?

Thanks
Wayne
Order number 153 placed late June.

Silver finish looks good IMO, a little darker than my Nord SE amps.

Feyire

Too early to be conclusive, but nothing is broken, it sounds like music. :-D

Very clear and detailed. Perhaps a tad more “natural” than the D90 in timbre. I do like to give it some time and see how the sound evolves (no, I’m not going to use the “b” word)... I’ll share my subjective impressions in a few days.

Firmware v1.01
Interesting, that is newer than the version I have (v1.00). @Okto Research , care to share what has changed in this latest revision? Does it fix the issue I reported earlier in this thread with the "L-out src" and "R-out src" being reversed?

EchoChamber

Forum Donor

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Interesting, that is newer than the version I have (v1.00). @Okto Research , care to share what has changed in this latest revision? Does it fix the issue I reported earlier in this thread with the "L-out src" and "R-out src" being reversed?
I think it does, I tested with test tracks and left and right were correct. The balance control feels a little weird though because it goes negative when adjusting so it feels reversed.

I also just installed RoPeeeXL, all working well but a bit tedious...

EchoChamber

Forum Donor

nikkon

thanks for doing it. I do appreciate.
I was curios if the design is their and not just a diy board and more how they connected the RPI tot the board.

nikkon

Did you notice if there was any heatsink on the underside of the rpi4 for its CPU? I expect it would get quite warm inside the case without one.
+1 my RPI4 gets hot, but I decrease the cpu clock as we don't need too much anyway

Top Bottom