• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Selah Audio Purezza Review

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The main advantage is greater output capability
Sorry to ask a naive question, but I assume that this is different from sensitivity? I am guessing that because of the lower distortion, even though it isn't the most sensitive speaker, it can be pushed harder and therefore is potentially louder?

Ericglo

Me trying to justify a purchase
giphy.gif

You and me both. Rick and Dennis make it hard, because they keep upping the ante with newer speakers.:D

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a project for Jim Salk, and I should have the test cabinet with drivers next week. We'll see--sometimes these newfangled audio thingies don't quite live up to their promise. At least I didn't have to pay for these puppies. Anyhow, back to more affordable Purifi designs.

sounds like a good reason for a new thread! ;)

Selah Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Great review as usual.

Very interesting design decision to use that passive radiator. I remember sending him nearfield measurements of mine last year which might have piqued his interest. I'd be curious to hear more about why he ended up choosing it over a vented design. My guess is it allowed for a smaller cabinet which matched well with the active woofer, or even to allow closer placement to the front wall as he alluded to with his BSC. Basically, the same reasons it was chosen by Buchardt Audio. Rick may have other reasons.

Indeed, however another thing a waveguide would do is to broaden the high-frequency dispersion. Notice that the ribbon starts to beam above 10 kHz whereas a waveguide would maintain a more constant directivity throughout the whole tweeter range to 20 kHz. Tradeoffs. Example with waveguide (Buchardt S400):

View attachment 81924

I had similar thoughts since I use XT32 to flatten and linearize the bass region but maybe it doesn't matter to us as much. Perhaps making the speaker work well for those not using room correction is the right approach.

Just a guess – likely because you'd have to use 2 of them to get enough area which would be challenging to fit and not increase the size of the speaker.
I don't remember receiving any nearfield measurements. Maybe it was someone else?

Selah Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Rick -- Please pardon me if this is an ignorant or naive question, but why the apparent 4 dB difference in sensitivity between the factory spec for the woofer and the Purezza's corresponding number? Is that from the effect of the enclosure and PR vs. a free air measurement?

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rick -- Please pardon me if this is an ignorant or naive question, but why the apparent 4 dB difference in sensitivity between the factory spec for the woofer and the Purezza's corresponding number? Is that from the effect of the enclosure and PR vs. a free air measurement?

Baffle step compensation is also often a part of that.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Baffle step compensation is also often a part of that.

It looks like Rick is trading off some sensitivity for bass extension -- in free air it looks like the woofer is down 10 dB quite a bit higher than the Purezza's impressive 33 Hz.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Selah Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Will you be designing any Purifi + Bliesma speakers? The Bliesma tweeters look to have really good dispersion for the form factor as well.
I have the 25mm Bliesma beryllium version on hand. ;)

cOz

Great review and congratulations to Rick. I'm enjoying my Ceramicas all the time but have to admit that these new Purifi Woofers look awesome. Rick, what would the next step up be from this design?

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
All I know is Rick said he wants these back. But I have been working on my photoshop skills for passports and brushing up on languages native to countries that don't extradite.

:)

Ericglo

All I know is Rick said he wants these back. But I have been working on my photoshop skills for passports and brushing up on languages native to countries that don't extradite.

:)

I thought youtubers received free swag for heaping lavish praise on products they recommend.:D

Selah Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Excellent review yet again by Erin! Not to mention the excellent speakers as well.

One question, is that SB Acoustics SB15SFCR-00 passive radiator being used at the back of the speaker? Weird that I only got an F3 of 45Hz modelling in Vituixcad using these driver combos, but I probably did something wrong.
That's the correct passive radiator and your modeling is pretty close to mine. Here's the nearfield I did summing the woofer and passive radiator outputs. This of course looks different than what Erin measured since it doesn't have the baffle step loss included.
Purezza Nearfield 20-200 hz Woofer-PR Sum.jpg

Selah Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Would there be any benefits to a DSP cross-over (active) version? Not that I am complaining about the current version, which seems terrific.
DSP is great and certainly applicable to this design. I have a MiniDSP 2x4HD that I may experiment with on the Purezza. The extra EQ gives you flexibility and helps tame any room issues with the bass response.

Selah Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sorry to ask a naive question, but I assume that this is different from sensitivity? I am guessing that because of the lower distortion, even though it isn't the most sensitive speaker, it can be pushed harder and therefore is potentially louder?
Power handling, sensitivity, and excursion capability are all factors in how loud a speaker can play without excessive distortion and / or compression. You can get higher sensitivity with a 6.5" woofer; however, the cabinet volume increases significantly to maintain similar bass extension. Many woofers will actually have less bass extension because of the tradeoff of box size, sensitivity, and low end response.

Top Bottom