• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 298 Power Amplifier With Purifi Eigentakt Amplification

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
$1,999 U.S. MSRP, press release below.

Variable gain knob and line out for subwoofers, nice touches! :)

2x185W at 8 ohms, 2x340W at 4 ohms. Bridgeable to 1x620W at 8 ohms.

https://nadelectronics.com/nad-intros-c-298-power-amplifier-with-purifi-eigentakt-amplification/

NAD-C-298-Pre-Production-Front-Above.jpg

NAD-C-298-Pre-Production-Rear.jpg

Last edited:

kukocz

Forum Donor
Good to see more Purify based options. How did they do bridgeable version? As far as I know, Purifi shouldn’t be run in bridge mode?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder what it looks like inside, Is that full size enclosure full of dead space?

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good to see more Purify based options. How did they do bridgeable version? As far as I know, Purifi shouldn’t be run in bridge mode?
Good question. Purifi does not recommend it but now a few manufacturers have released bridgeable amps (Vera Audio and Audiophonics for example, if I recall correctly).

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very welcomed addition with good features at a fairly affordable price, considering this is from a well established brand. Look, however, is... nothing to talk about, really.:confused:

Trying to understand why it is rated lower than the M33 (200W/8Ω, 400W/4Ω) using the same modules (assuming there's only one Purifi ET out there). Could be downpowered by the SMPS, or the ajsutable gain too low at maximum? I don't know.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Trying to understand why it is rated lower than the M33 (200W/8Ω, 400W/4Ω) using the same modules (assuming there's only one Purifi ET out there). Could be downpowered by the SMPS, or the ajsutable gain too low at maximum? I don't know.
Lower power SMPS is a good hypothesis, another one would be a less efficient cooling.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Could be many things. I am now using a NAD M28 which has 7 channels spec-ed as:
HybridDigital Purifi Eigentakt™ Amplifier
FTC Power: 250W in 8 Ohms, 360W into 4 Ohms
Rated Power: 200W into 8 Ohms, 340W into 4 Ohms
Dynamic Power: 320W into 8 Ohms, 700W into 4 Ohms​
But no bridging.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Lower power SMPS is a good hypothesis, another one would be a less efficient cooling.

Or perhaps more realistic continuous specifications to cover all markets and allow for the bridged operation to viably rated. NAD have a reputation to protect and an expectation that continuous rated power is actually achievable. They are being honest perhaps.

They appear to be running the two channels in opposite polarity (an NAD favourite since the 2200) to reduce strain on the PSU. As we have seen with Amir's testing for channel separation, things can go awry due to that.

Also, I'm very glad to see NAD have provided an earthed product with a proper screw terminal chassis earth. Nice!

Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Or perhaps more realistic continuous specifications to cover all markets and allow for the bridged operation to viably rated. NAD have a reputation to protect and an expectation that continuous rated power is actually achievable. They are being honest perhaps.
My hypothesis on cooling was based on the fact that this potential honesty would be the same for both products. I cant believe that their procedures would be different for different product lines.
In the M33, the modules are installed vertically on small aluminum radiators, here, from what we see of the rear panel, I suspect the modules are fixed on the bottom, which itself may be steel.

typericey

Yeah, save me 3 of them, 2 bridged units for the lows an 1 stereo for the highs, all 12V trigger daisy-chained, should be enough !

Send one of them to @amirm asap.

This is good news indeed, made my day. Shipping before the holidays too. Seems like I found my intermediate upgrade as I work my way up to hopefully owning an AHB2 one day.

typericey

Also, I'm very glad to see NAD have provided an earthed product with a proper screw terminal chassis earth. Nice!

Pardon the ignorance, but what gets connected to that ground screw? And for what purpose?

typericey

From the press release:

"The Eigentakt modules are manufactured by NAD under license from Purifi, allowing NAD to optimise these specifically in combination with the custom designed power supply and input stages of the C 298."

Top Bottom