• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room Measurement Tutorial for Dummies Part 2

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

PaulD

Some Frequency Response graphs: http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Blue-Microphones/Yeti

Flat is needed.

It would appear to be weak in the low frequencies.

But, you could create a "calibration file" to help it out some.
Yes, flat and omnidirectional is needed. The Yeti Blue is a cardioid capsule, so it has the lumpy HF response (damping) and the falling bass that all cardioid capsules have. The bass response will depend onto the distance from the source (fine for a podcaster mic, but no good for measurements) and also the mic frequency response changes with the angle of incidence of the arriving sound - pretty awful for measurements. It is impossible to compensate for this with a calibration file.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Maybe Ezra misunderstood my message: Channels should be measured separately

I surely did, because I am clueless :D Hoping for having some time to dig deep into this.

Anyways to make it clear, I make rew spill the sound through left channel and take measures and then I make rew spill the sound through right channel and measure it again?

Hephaestus

I surely did, because I am clueless :D Hoping for having some time to dig deep into this.

Anyways to make it clear, I make rew spill the sound through left channel and take measures and then I make rew spill the sound through right channel and measure it again?

Yep, keep the mic in same position and measure channels one at a time.

Mocs123

Forum Donor
@amirm I would love a "Room Measurement Tutorial for Dummies Part 3" as I found part 1 and 2 by far the best guides on the net. I have a UMIK-1 and REW and need to do some room measurements.

I know your busy, but your step by step "tutorial for dummies" is perfect .

Webninja

Forum Donor
I finally got a umik-1 direct from HK (shockingly fast delivery). Using the tutorial made it very fast to measure my JBL 305mkii. Now that I got the hang of it, would love a part 3. A what do we do now that we have the in room response guide

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'm beginning to think Part 3 is whatever you write for yourself after exercising the basics presented in Parts 1 and 2...

oldsysop

Maybe someone other than Amir can do the third part. But slowly and step by step.

The measurements have already been resolved, both in motion and at multiple points.
But I don't quite understand the values / parameters to equalize. I don't know why some say equalize from 20 to 20,000 and others from 20 to 700hz.
Many doubts after making the measurements.

:confused:

Webninja

Forum Donor
I would also love a part 3. In the meantime I used this video, that has been recommended here around multiple times.
Yes, that video was great, and between it and Amirm’s tutorials I felt very comfortable testing and measuring.

@oldsysop - same here, as I tried both auto and manual EQ in REW from 20-500 and 20-20k, then did manual entry into Roon, but boy does it sound bad. I have a pseudo blind test with Roon by closing me eyes and rapidly clicking my mouse on the on/off switch for the parametric EQ until I’m not sure which is EQ on/off. But with my tweaks it didn’t take more then a few seconds as the EQ’d version was always worse.

oldsysop

Webninja :
Exactly the same here, REW and Roon and bad results.
We are doing something wrong and we don't know what it is.

Webninja

Forum Donor
Part 3 is almost said in the room EQ reviews I have been doing and to some extent the speaker reviews (listening test part). :)
You are right Amirm, and yes I'm learning tons from your speaker reviews and your posted Roon EQ settings. Do you happen to have an EQ setting for the JBL 305mkii? From what I've learned you go for the less is more school, so I've been trying to not do 12 bands of peak adjustments.

catman

Forum Donor
Room Measurement Tutorial for Dummies Part 2: Selecting a Measurement Microphone

I hope everyone has read the first part of this tutorial on downloading and installing Room EQ Wizard. Here is the link to that if you missed it: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?17765-Room-Measurement-Tutorial-for-Dummies-Part-1
This is so wonderful! Thank you, Amir! This has been one bridge too far for this ignoramus, but thanks to this article, I have the courage to give it a go! However, this is a bit like a cliffhanger, in that I am in tenderhooks pondering the climax! Has Part 3 been posted under a different title? What exactly does one do after Part 2, please?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

catman

Forum Donor
Well, I could in theory, but I have no idea what exactly to try next! If someone has the bandwidth to let me know where Part 3 is located, great. Otherwise, thanks for your time!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom