• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for 20 - 40 watt Solid State amp for Klipschorns;

anolog

I am trying the mini D amp from classDaudio 15 watts 30 watts in mono. I am upgrading from a 10 watt T amp.

ta240

Major Contributor
Do you want the least distortion possible?

I'd figure out the price limit and look for the best amp I could find at that price. Sure the speakers don't need more power but if you can get a better amp that just happens to have more power then you don't have to use it all.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Recommended by Amir, the Allo Volt+ D amplifier, maybe?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You're looking for another amp?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Klipschorns have a sensitivity of about 101 dB SPL / 2.83 V / 1 m. Anything that scores around 105 dB SNR ref: 5 W / 4 ohm would be a good candidate (that's about 25 µV worth of noise across the audio bandwidth), and 100 dB should still be quite acceptable depending on listening distance etc..

A line-level attenuator between preamp and power amp is quite likely to be required. As much as 20 dB may be advisable if we're talking a typical 26-29 dB power amp gain and the preamp isn't the lowest-noise thing in the world (but might have plenty of maximum output in return), though 12 dB would be a more typical value. Only a few power amps ship with particularly low gain settings out of the box, the Benchmark AHB2 comes to mind (which also is why it manages to lead the 5 W table). OK, that one may be a tad over budget.

TimW

Major Contributor
I was just going to recommend the Modulus-86. It is more DIY than the M186 but both will require assembly into a case so it is probably not what you are looking for. They are very low distortion and low noise amplifiers though. They are also low gain depending on how you configure them, with only 20dB of gain by default. My M86 build works great with high efficiency Klipsch speakers.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Schiit Aegir, Schiit tested, Amir approved.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
With sensitive horns, noise upstream can be a real problem. The preamp and power amp needs to be squeaky clean with as little noise and hum as possible. I've battled this problem; the power amp which powers my HF horns (which are active above 500Hz) has almost no gain, if not a bit of gain loss, and I hit it relatively hard from upstream components and the electronic crossovers.

OP
A

anolog

Thanks every one; I am using a a 10 watt Trends Micro class T amp. With an active xover... ALK networks. For the top end I am using a 1.5 watt Jeff Korneff 45 amp. Often with my active xover I was dialing in a bit more bass; and my amp is 6 years old and you know... I read about the new GaN D amps are a huge leap in class D technology, and I did pick up a pair of 15 watt amps bridgable. so I have 15 to 30 watt in mono for the bass speakers. I have also heard of new a/b amps that are reasonably priced, and the rock with ultra low dist... The mini D amps from classDaudio $65 usf. I just got them to day they are dimuative, and of course no instructions. I had 8-9 quite good questions for them, Waiting for more info.. so 10 watt double in power nets a 3 db gain.. It's pretty dam loud now; and 40 watts = 6 db louder oheyvey this would be the limit. 50 watts would not be louder... a 60 watt amp with my 1.5 watt Korneff over kill... but not with a good 2A3 amp. humm... I have never had my system maxed ever... it gets reallllly bright. 1.5 watts sheesh. There are a few stellar 2a3 amps too... another day. any way's my system leaves you in awe;... and that's a good day.
John

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
There are a few stellar 2a3 amps too... another day.
I use a 2A3 amp for my high frequency horns. Horns seem to sound best with tubes.

levimax

Major Contributor
I was just going to recommend the Modulus-86. It is more DIY than the M186 but both will require assembly into a case so it is probably not what you are looking for. They are very low distortion and low noise amplifiers though. They are also low gain depending on how you configure them, with only 20dB of gain by default. My M86 build works great with high efficiency Klipsch speakers.
+1

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So active bi-amping and various amps are now involved? Why do you complicate things, just experimenting?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
So active bi-amping and various amps are now involved? Why do you complicate things, just experimenting?
I hope he's not ripping the passive crossover out of a Klipschorn. That could rapidly turn into a real science project. :eek:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope he's not ripping the passive crossover out of a Klipschorn. That could rapidly turn into a real science project. :eek:
How could you active bi-amp without taking out the passive xover? Might not be fruitful....

OP
A

anolog

You should not biamp an ALK network without using an active xover of which I am using.... Life is good dam good. The T amp 6 years was $300. and I have been very happy... ecstatic... overwhelmed at how good my system sounds...floored. with this tinny tiny amp. and I am in awe when the needle drops. But the tiny niggly little voice that is saying... there are a pile of really decent amps at a decent price that will deliver over the hill performance... Lets play. When I tuned my Khorns.... and got the bass cabinet correct and not feeding back; the whole octave range up into the upper tweeter range blossomed, and sounded more cohesive. I am giving my Khorns a complete strip down, re line with mdf; and correct cabinet flaws... Perfecting perfection. They will have a proper rear port, internal bracing.. and will resemble the Klipsch TSCM Professionals in most ways... ( without the ugly). Life is good Klipschorns rule. so do 1.5 watt amps and kittys EOT

OP
A

anolog

there is no passive xover .... where... not that I know of... humm. I will check my stash... yah

klipsch

I'm a large klipsch fan. Clearly.
I run Danley SH50 though as my mains and center. https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/loud-speakers/synergy-horn/sh50/

The sensitivities are similar between our speakers. I enjoy the 500NC to power these speakers. Zero noise floor that I can hear - even when sticking my head in the horn (literally) . Much more power than you have asked for, but I sure hope you could give it a try.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Top Bottom