• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magni 3+ and Heresy Headphone Amp Reviews

ari

Forum Donor
How hot is your input in the Heresy? As in volts. You might be driving it into clipping.
Input is from a Schiit Modi 3. The listed specs are RCA, 75 ohms, 20Hz-20KHz, +/-0.25dB, Maximum Output: 2.0V RMS
Or driving the speaker amp inputs into clipping with the Heresy output.
That looks likely the case. I can't get the speakers to distort with the Magni Heresy set on low gain. On high gain they start distorting when the Heresy's volume knob gets turned up, and the distortion goes away with reducing the Heresy's volume. This is regardless of the volume setting on the speakers' amp.
So, yes, looks like it might just be clipping with the speaker amp. Thanks for helping figure that one out.

Asylum Seeker

So how does the Heresy stack up against the Topping L30?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
On paper I think the L30 trumps the Heresy just about everywhere. In real world use, can't see why anyone would find a difference. Ditto most of the well measuring budget stars.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor

Well, realistically-speaking, very well really. Initially, I was very tempted by the L30, but the understanding that it's power output is actually about the same as the Heresy (which I already have) has me less interested. I have an E30 on order and it would be nice to have the stack, but that isn't a big concern for me. I do like the front facing switches, but again not a huge issue. Although, if you use iems a lot that low gain setting on the L30 might be a nice feature.

Just an aside, I had one of those magical listening sessions last night with my headphone rig here. You know those times where it all seems to come together to create a blissful experience? D10 --- Heresy --- HE400i --- my mood --- ambient noise levels ---cosmic atmosphere = extreme satisfaction. Everything just sounded like pure gold.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, realistically-speaking, very well really. Initially, I was very tempted by the L30, but the understanding that it's power output is actually about the same as the Heresy (which I already have) has me less interested. I have an E30 on order and it would be nice to have the stack, but that isn't a big concern for me. I do like the front facing switches, but again not a huge issue.

Thats about where I'm at. The logical person in me says I don't need another (very well measuring) single ended amp. The tinkerer in me says "it's only £120, let's have a listen".

Asylum Seeker

So, gentlemen, what would be a state-of-the art DAC to pair with the Heresy or L30 for no more than $120?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So, gentlemen, what would be a state-of-the art DAC to pair with the Heresy or L30 for no more than $120?
The obvious answer is stretch to the e30. Which means you may as well get the L30 for appearances sake. The reality is, whatever dac you like for the price. I'm not brave enough to put a dongle as the source for desktop, yet. The e1da d when released might change that

NgtFlyer

While I do own a Modi 3 and Magni 3+, I have decided to spring for the Topping E30 and L30 combo. I am curious to compare, and I have a second room I can use the Schiit stack in. The are great sounding components and I enjoy them. My main listening setup (my office) will get the Topping gear. You really can't go wrong either way from a listening standpoint.

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
Heresy interests me but... it continues the Schiit tradition of either having some Achilles heel performance-wise or missing some spec. Here it's output impedance: It's tested at 1.2 Ω which is quite acceptable but is 6x Schiit's published spec of 0.2 Ω.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Heresy interests me but... it continues the Schiit tradition of either having some Achilles heel performance-wise or missing some spec. Here it's output impedance: It's tested at 1.2 Ω which is quite acceptable but is 6x Schiit's published spec of 0.2 Ω.
Higher output impedance is normal in Amir's measurements.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Maybe Schiit measures the impedance at 1KHz while Amir takes worst impedance across audible band. @JohnYang1997, can you explain your above input, please? Thanks!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Maybe Schiit measures the impedance at 1KHz while Amir takes worst impedance across audible band. @JohnYang1997, can you explain your above input, please? Thanks!
Amir explained before that his wiring may have caused the higher output impedance. So I don't take that test too seriously.

Veri

Master Contributor
Between 0 Ω and 1 Ω measured, I'm sure it'll be low enough to have a nice, flat FR response. No need to worry about that, your own cables and connectors are more likely to change the final impedance than this tiny difference will.

TonyMM

I have finally decided to get the Schiit DAC + AMP for the earphones/ headphones....Magni3+ or Magni Heresey together with a Modi 3 :)

But which one, Magni3+ or Magni Heresey, would you recommend for the Sure ES535 earphones (I bought them in 2010 approximately) which tends too have this disgraceful hiss....

ari

Forum Donor
I believe that @amirm has shown the Heresy superior to the Magni 3 with his measurements.
Anecdotally, I had the Modi3 + Magni Heresy and was very pleased with them. Turned all the way up and no hum/hiss with my HiFiMan's

Dana reed

I have finally decided to get the Schiit DAC + AMP for the earphones/ headphones....Magni3+ or Magni Heresey together with a Modi 3 :)

But which one, Magni3+ or Magni Heresey, would you recommend for the Sure ES535 earphones (I bought them in 2010 approximately) which tends too have this disgraceful hiss....
With something as sensitive IEMs, either of the amps could be a problem, as you’ll be so low on the pot and get possible channel imbalance.
I actually like their bigger amps better for such earphones, just because the pot is better at high attenuation

Top Bottom