• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uptone EtherREGEN

Jmart

Just ordered one to see if I hear a difference.

I actually had one around 6 months ago and wasn’t able to hear anything so I sent it back. Since then I switched to Roon and directly attached that to my DAC. Prior, I had a Mac mini connected to the internet via Ethernet, and the DAC connected via USB.

I will also have some third party blind tests to see if they hear a difference. Feel free to offer Song suggestions for the testing.
Cheers,
JM

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I actually had one around 6 months ago and wasn’t able to hear anything so I sent it back. Since then I switched to Roon and directly attached that to my DAC. Prior, I had a Mac mini connected to the internet via Ethernet, and the DAC connected via USB.

I will also have some third party blind tests to see if they hear a difference. Feel free to offer Song suggestions for the testing.
Cheers,
JM

Roon is software- you mean you bought a box running Roon server? You need to explain your chain and where the Regen use to sit and will sit in it.

I'm assuming when it comes, your new Roon "box" will take an ethernet cable via the Regen. How will that then go to the DAC?

Jmart

There's not a snowball's chance in hell that you will, unless you really, really want to.

Amir's review perfectly underlines the stupidity of this product: UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch Review
Yeah I read the review, seems like he didn’t notice a difference with measurements (which frankly means very little to me) or listening tests. We will have to see what my own listening tests yield.

@Jimbob
Sure I can clarify further.
Previously - macMini streaming Tidal/Qobuz with Audirvana>>to PS Audio DSD Jr via a matrix audio USB cable
Now - MacMini is Roon hub, DSD Jr is connected through Ethernet cable from router.

I decided to keep this 2nd method for multiple reasons but SQ was definitely one of them. The Ethernet “alone” link added much appreciated definition to everything. Also the bass was much clearer and defined. Perhaps the USB connection to a relatively “noisy” computer was part of the reason for the improved clarity. Ethernet, I’ve heard, has quite a low noise floor.

@mansr
Will do man. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I read the review, seems like he didn’t notice a difference with measurements (which frankly means very little to me) or listening tests. We will have to see what my own listening tests yield.

@Jimbob
Sure I can clarify further.
Previously - macMini streaming Tidal/Qobuz with Audirvana>>to PS Audio DSD Jr via a matrix audio USB cable
Now - MacMini is Roon hub, DSD Jr is connected through Ethernet cable from router.

I decided to keep this 2nd method for multiple reasons but SQ was definitely one of them. The Ethernet “alone” link added much appreciated definition to everything. Also the bass was much clearer and defined. Perhaps the USB connection to a relatively “noisy” computer was part of the reason for the improved clarity. Ethernet, I’ve heard, has quite a low noise floor.

@mansr
Will do man. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks

I adopted a similar set up after getting Roon- for functional reasons more than wanting to sever the USB umbilical. My roon Ready streaming box thing now lets me use the nice and easy remote control for basic playback functions rather than using the horrid Roon phone app (has to reconnect every time) or keeping the wireless keyboard by my side.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Cheers,
JM

I look forward to what you find out, and applaud you doing a DBT. Be sure to match levels carefully.

Jmart

Thanks

I adopted a similar set up after getting Roon- for functional reasons more than wanting to sever the USB umbilical. My roon Ready streaming box thing now lets me use the nice and easy remote control for basic playback functions rather than using the horrid Roon phone app (has to reconnect every time) or keeping the wireless keyboard by my side.

I actually started similarly to you in that I was looking for a functionally superior alternative. The SQ was a bit of surprise since I had tried a wireless alternative previously and actually thought the SQ suffered.

tw99

Just reading a thread on another forum where someone explains how adding a £500 linear PSU and also an audiophile mains cable to their Uptone EtherRegen makes a worthwhile difference. There's no limit to it, is there. :facepalm:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just reading a thread on another forum where someone explains how adding a £500 linear PSU and also an audiophile mains cable to their Uptone EtherRegen makes a worthwhile difference. There's no limit to it, is there. :facepalm:

Need two or three eRs, all powered by their own LPS and connected with audiophile ethernet cables. Don't forget the audiophile-approved DC cables for those LPS, or else! And must have a re-clocker, such as Mutec, at the end of that chain o_O.

People imagine that they want a very clean signal, but this is just plain and simple OCD.

Superdad

Audio Company
Need two or three eRs, all powered by their own LPS and connected with audiophile ethernet cables.

It should be noted that at no time or place has UpTone Audio promoted the use of multiple EtherREGENs, special linear power supplies for it, or "audiophile" Ethernet cables.
To quote from the EtherREGEN web page:
"Use of a fancy linear power supply is NOT required to get outstanding performance from the EtherREGEN. While high-quality power supplies make a nice difference most everywhere else in a music system, we personally are not hearing very much change with power supplies and the EtherREGEN (certainly owing to its great isolation and internal power networks)."

However, we are aware that SOtM and its dealers do promote the use of multiple sNH-10G units (its more conventional switch that is 3x the price and 4x the size of EtherREGEN):
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...e-new-king-of-usb-network-gadget-setup.27758/
They also sell $500-$1,100 Ethernet cables. :rolleyes:
My personal favorite Ethernet cable is this CableMatters CAT8 for $12:
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Ethernet-10Gbps-25Gbps/dp/B07NVRXHBK/

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It should be noted that at no time or place has UpTone Audio promoted the use of multiple EtherREGENs, special linear power supplies for it, or "audiophile" Ethernet cables.
To quote from the EtherREGEN web page:
"Use of a fancy linear power supply is NOT required to get outstanding performance from the EtherREGEN. While high-quality power supplies make a nice difference most everywhere else in a music system, we personally are not hearing very much change with power supplies and the EtherREGEN (certainly owing to its great isolation and internal power networks)."

However, we are aware that SOtM and its dealers do promote the use of multiple sNH-10G units (its more conventional switch that is 3x the price and 4x the size of EtherREGEN):
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...e-new-king-of-usb-network-gadget-setup.27758/
They also sell $500-$1,100 Ethernet cables. :rolleyes:
My personal favorite Ethernet cable is this CableMatters CAT8 for $12:
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Ethernet-10Gbps-25Gbps/dp/B07NVRXHBK/

Those expensive ethernet cables sound sooo good! Almost as good as a low-jitter external clock with a network switch. ;)

If only my system was resolving enough, I'd finally realize just how good all those tweaks really are.

Top Bottom