• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core Room EQ Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core Room Equalizer. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $1,200. This review is only focused on electronic performance of the device. If I have time, I may test its correction ability later.

There is not a whole lot to look at as far as the design of the Anti-Mode:

DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core Speaker and Room Correction Review.jpg

The display is quite tiny but usable if you sit close to it. The back panel shows the good connectivity:

DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core Speaker and Room Correction XLR RCA SPDIF inputs and outputs ...jpg

For this testing, I focused on both analog XLR input and Toslink S/PDIF digital input. There are some lofty statements the company makes about the performance of this unit:

1598550505305.png

Well, I qualify as most demanding audiophile :) so let's see how the Anti-Mode performs with basic tests.

DSP Audio Measurements
I started my testing by feeding the unit via its XLR input. To my surprise, it complained about 4 volts input causing clipping. That is the nominal level from any desktop DAC so it should have handled it. Anyway, I dialed that down a bit and the warning went away, giving me this outcome:

DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core Speaker and Room Correction Analog Audio Measurements.png

As you see, the output level is even lower than input. That is not a huge deal but the problem is the high distortion and noise which combine to give us a poor SINAD of just 83 dB. We are missing CD/streaming 16 bit content's noise floor of 96 dB by a good mile. There is really no excuse for any digital audio product to degrade performance this much.

Hoping this was an ADC problem and not DAC (the input has to be digitized to perform signal processing), I fed the Anti-Mode via its Toslink input:

DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core Speaker and Room Correction Toslink Digital Audio Measurements.png

We still have a pile of noise and distortion so the DAC is subpar for sure.

best room EQ review 2020.png

At this point there was no reason to keep going so I stopped.

Conclusions
I have been waiting to test a device from DSPeaker for some 10 years since I saw one functioning at an audio show. I had come close a few times but never succeeded in getting my hands on one. Sadly, the long wait was not worth it. The non-DSP performance of the Anti-Mode 2.0 is unacceptable and anything but "highest performance" as claimed by the company. The company needs to go back and refresh the basics of this device.

Fortunately there is a digital output and assuming the resampling is clean, maybe there is a good use scenario for that.

As is, I can't recommend the DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 on the basis of its basic performance.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Well, while I did not get to throw a party while my wife was out last night, the panthers did! They trashed the whole house with food scraps everywhere and scratch marks all over the floor. Need to get a professional crew here to clean or hide what they can before my wife comes back. Please donate what you can quickly before I get in trouble using : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So disappointing that you skip the rest of the test?

This unit is already 8 years on the market I believe.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure who the member is that loaned it to you. If he/she is not in a rush, it would be interesting to see how the performance looks at the range it’s working on (I.e. with a subwoofer)

https://www.stereophile.com/content...ponents-signal-processors#ebbJ1QWpPtWI2oKF.97

By default, the Anti-Mode 2.0 measures and automatically corrects from 16 to 150Hz, but can be configured to work from 16Hz to an upper limit ranging from 80 to 500Hz. In addition, it provides a large array of filter and configuration options, and can store up to four different sound profiles.

LJN

Amir, have you read the manual are the tested unit 2012 or 2013 edition?

Please note that selecting By Computer may cause a high volume to be set from the PC, so be careful in this mode, especially when you connect Dual Core to the PC for the first time. The Volume trim menu allows compensation of different volume levels between the digital and analog inputs. For example, if the digital input is subjectively louder, adjust the volume trim value towards the left side until the volume levels are equal. Changes in this dialog take effect immediately. Press the OK button on the remote to accept the new adjustment or press the BACK button to discard changes. The Input sensitivity setting adjusts the maximum allowed voltage level of the analog input.

Default value is high sensitivity. Use the low sensitivity setting, if you connect a device which produces very high voltage levels (indicated by a clipping warning on the home screen). Notice: Input sensitivity and volume trim are global settings, i.e. the values are shared by all four sound profiles.

• 2012 edition: ◦ Input Sensitivity RCA: 1.6 / 3.25 Vrms, XLR: 1.3 / 2.6 Vrms ◦ Output Voltage RCA: 1.65 Vrms (max), XLR: 3.25 Vrms (max) ◦ Power consumption 9VAC / 12VDC (typical): active 2.6W, stand-by 0.6W •

2013 edition: ◦ Input Sensitivity RCA: 2.5 / 5.0 Vrms, XLR: 3.9 / 7.9 Vrms ◦ Output Voltage RCA: 7.2 Vrms (max), XLR: 14.4 Vrms (max) ◦ Power consumption 12VDC (typical): active 4.5W, stand-by 0.8W

BR,

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core Room Equalizer. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $1,200. This review is only focused on electronic performance of the device. If I have time, I may test its correction ability later.

There is not a whole lot to look at as far as the design of the Anti-Mode:

View attachment 80202

The display is quite tiny but usable if you sit close to it. The back panel shows the good connectivity:

View attachment 80203

For this testing, I focused on both analog XLR input and Toslink S/PDIF digital input. There are some lofty statements the company makes about the performance of this unit:

View attachment 80204

Well, I qualify as most demanding audiophile :) so let's see how the Anti-Mode performs with basic tests.

DSP Audio Measurements
I started my testing by feeding the unit via its XLR input. To my surprise, it complained about 4 volts input causing clipping. That is the nominal level from any desktop DAC so it should have handled it. Anyway, I dialed that down a bit and the warning went away, giving me this outcome:

View attachment 80205

As you see, the output level is even lower than input. That is not a huge deal but the problem is the high distortion and noise which combine to give us a poor SINAD of just 83 dB. We are missing CD/streaming 16 bit content's noise floor of 96 dB by a good mile. There is really no excuse for any digital audio product to degrade performance this much.

Hoping this was an ADC problem and not DAC (the input has to be digitized to perform signal processing), I fed the Anti-Mode via its Toslink input:

View attachment 80207

We still have a pile of noise and distortion so the DAC is subpar for sure.

View attachment 80206

At this point there was no reason to keep going so I stopped.

Conclusions
I have been waiting to test a device from DSPeaker for some 10 years since I saw one functioning at an audio show. I had come close a few times but never succeeded in getting my hands on one. Sadly, the long wait was not worth it. The non-DSP performance of the Anti-Mode 2.0 is unacceptable and anything but "highest performance" as claimed by the company. The company needs to go back and refresh the basics of this device.

Fortunately there is a digital output and assuming the resampling is clean, maybe there is a good use scenario for that.

As is, I can't recommend the DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 on the basis of its basic performance.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Well, while I did not get to throw a party while my wife was out last night, the panthers did! They trashed the whole house with food scraps everywhere and scratch marks all over the floor. Need to get a professional crew here to clean or hide what they can before my wife comes back. Please donate what you can quickly before I get in trouble using : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
A important review, I bought one of these and was never happy with the sound , I think @Frank Dernie also had one and never liked it ?

It actually gave me a negative view of room correction, not what we want .

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
The rest of the tests won't salvage high distortion and noise already apparent.
Fair enough. Save time and energy foor the good stuff.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure who the member is that loaned it to you. If he/she is not in a rush, it would be interesting to see how the performance looks at the range it’s working on (I.e. with a subwoofer)

https://www.stereophile.com/content...ponents-signal-processors#ebbJ1QWpPtWI2oKF.97

By default, the Anti-Mode 2.0 measures and automatically corrects from 16 to 150Hz, but can be configured to work from 16Hz to an upper limit ranging from 80 to 500Hz. In addition, it provides a large array of filter and configuration options, and can store up to four different sound profiles.
I agree, PSA sells these for their subs.

Hipper

It's a problem when the company claims the ADC and DAC are of 'audiophile quality' when they clearly aren't.

It would be interesting to see how just the DSP side of things measure (using just digital ins and outs, as that is what most will use it for). For example, I use a Behringer DEQ2496 and some claim its ADC and DAC are not up to scratch. However as I use it only in digital, between my CD Transport and DAC, that is not a concern to me.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Please note that selecting By Computer may cause a high volume to be set from the PC, so be careful in this mode, especially when you connect Dual Core to the PC for the first time.
There is no "computer" involved in my testing in this instance. First test was analog output to the unit. Second was Toslink from my analyzer.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Not unexpected considering the age of the product. What I am really interested in though is the solutions they offer for subwoofer usage. Those keep getting rave reviews from users, and I doubt distortion and noise matter that much when you are working with frequencies below 120hz.

LJN

You dont read all my text/info? Sensitive settings and difference for 2012 or 2013 Edition.
BR,

Dudi

It's a problem when the company claims the ADC and DAC are of 'audiophile quality when they clearly aren't.

It would be interesting to see how just the DSP side of things measure (using just digital ins and outs, as that is what most will use it for). For example, I use a Behringer DEQ2496 and some claim its ADC and DAC are not up to scratch. However as I use it only in digital, between my CD Transport and DAC, that is not a concern to me.

Behringer DEQ2496 performs very well in digital domain to me as well with its IIR filters (while analog part is so bad). Digital in/out is the main usage of these equipments, so I'm not sure Anti-Mode is bad as DSP.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You dont read all my text/info? Sensitive settings and difference for 2012 or 2013 Edition.
BR,
I think the 2012 sensitivities are flipped for RCA vs XLR because I would expect the XLR to be higher.

3125b

Major Contributor
It certainly degrades the analog signal a whole lot just by resampling it.
Makes me wonder about other products, mainly studio monitors, that do that. Unfortunately, that's not easily measured.

raindance

Major Contributor
This thing was a pile of crap. It has significant insertion loss and clips for no reason. It also has a horrible correction algorithm where it gets the target frequency range nicely flat, but also depressed compared to everything else, so if you stick to Schroeder frequency and below, it'll always sound lean and harsh. The tone control modes are horrible and bypass isn't a hard bypass so there's no clean comparison path. In short, a cheap Marantz receiver with the most basic Audyssey will knock its socks off. It is a pile of poo.

tw99

I've been using one of these for years, and had seen a review on another forum that showed it measures badly. Interesting to see that finally confirmed here.

It's still a very flexible and easy to use product. I'm happy enough with how mine sounds and the useful features it offers, but I guess if I was buying today a miniDSP SHD would be a better option.

FrankF

Forum Donor
This thing was a pile of crap. It has significant insertion loss and clips for no reason. It also has a horrible correction algorithm where it gets the target frequency range nicely flat, but also depressed compared to everything else, so if you stick to Schroeder frequency and below, it'll always sound lean and harsh. The tone control modes are horrible and bypass isn't a hard bypass so there's no clean comparison path. In short, a cheap Marantz receiver with the most basic Audyssey will knock its socks off. It is a pile of poo.
Tell us how you really feel. :D

Top Bottom