• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DP5 - New Streamer / DAC / Headamp combo unit

jae

Major Contributor
I just saw this released in the shenzhen audio newsletter:

Input mode:USBx2 / USB Audio 1 /micro SD /Bluetooth/ DLNA/ SAMBA(NAS)
Output mode:Line / balanced / headphone / optical fiber /coaxial / AES / Bluetooth USB I USB out/ IS
THD+N :0.00015%
Dynamic range:130dB (A-Weighted)
SNR:130dB (A-Weighted)
Headphone output power: 89mW(32Ω)
64mW(64Ω)
27mW(150Ω)
14mW(300Ω)
Unbalanced line output level: 2.1Vrms
Balanced line output level : 5.2Vrms
USB Audio :DSD Top support DSD256
PCM Top support PCM384kHz
USB Audio System compatibility: windows 7/8/8.1/ 10;Mac OS X;Linux
DSD D2P :Up to DSD128

1. A lossless player with headphone amplifier output, Built-in an ES9038PRO chip from American ESS company, High SNR, LOw distortion, Supports Native DSD.
2. Supports streaming playback of DLNA and Airplay. Supports 100M network interface and 2.4G/5G WIFI!
3. With analog,USB,I2S,AES,Coaxial,optical fiber signal output.
4. Support MQA full decoding:①Clean up the recording②Encapsulate the sound
5. External hard-Disk connected by USB, supports up to 4TB capacity and supports NTFS/ FAT32 format.

Would be nice to have some 3d party measurements on this. This could be a good option for those wanting a more simplistic setup directly into a power amplifier. Full DLNA support, so one could use something like bubbleUPNP to stream from Qobuz/Tidal directly too despite its like of on-device support for those services.

OP
J

jae

Major Contributor
ddbba01bdd135887e5c63008de7a5703.jpg
66bfc3b1a9600301d482bc7654bb95bb.jpg
7ae956ca8d1a7cff7fcfa329739bd292.jpg

somy

We need more of these - too few options in the market at the moment. I guess the biggest challenge is software. Lumin/AURALiC has an edge, matrix is catching up. Looks like 9038pro with switching power supply, no native app so essentially M500 + BT/airplay/dlna renderer?? Ask for 3200rmb (m500 is 2200rmb).

Last edited:

DACslut

This promising new device looks like it shares the same exact wonky volume knob as my Sabaj D5. I hope they improved the knob's actual functional characteristics as that was my only gripe against the D5.

OP
J

jae

Major Contributor
We need more of these - too few options in the market at the moment. I guess the biggest challenge is software. Lumin/AURALiC has an edge, matrix is catching up. Looks like 9038pro with switching power supply, no native app so essentially M500 + BT/airplay/dlna renderer?? Ask for 3200rmb (m500 is 2200rmb).

It doesn't offer too much more over lets say a raspberry pi based build paired with one of the many other good performing dacs. But it's a good alternative to something like a Bluesound node 2i, especially if you mostly listen to files locally.

This promising new device looks like it shares the same exact wonky volume knob as my Sabaj D5. I hope they improved the knob's actual functional characteristics as that was my only gripe against the D5.

I honestly hate the look of it, and all SMSL products for that matter. I wonder if topping will have an answer to this

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It doesn't offer too much more over lets say a raspberry pi based build paired with one of the many other good performing dacs. But it's a good alternative to something like a Bluesound node 2i, especially if you mostly listen to files locally.

I honestly hate the look of it, and all SMSL products for that matter. I wonder if topping will have an answer to this

Totally in line with you + the same plastic volume knob that the M400 has. They could put 1$ more for having a good one.
I started buying a good dac and would add a (very) cheap raspberry solution that is not related to the sound.
A good way not to be trapped with the dac's chip.
Otherwise it's a good solution for someone that prefers an (almost) all in one solution and doesn't care more with a fair price.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Totally in line with you + the same plastic volume knob that the M400 has. They could put 1$ more for having a good one.
I started buying a good dac and would add a (very) cheap raspberry solution that is not related to the sound.
A good way not to be trapped with the dac's chip.
Otherwise it's a good solution for someone that prefers an (almost) all in one solution and doesn't care more with a fair price.
I suppose the MQA Decoder might make it more appealing for some. Not for me personally.

Braveanthony

If it has room correction eq capabability, I would pay $1,000. I am looking for wifi a streamer, a good DAC, hardware MQA unfolding, native TIDAL with easy-to-use iOS or Android interface, and DIRAC, preferably in one unit. Modular DAC where I can upgrade the DAC only at later date for $200~$300, even better.

Tatteredmidnight

Having balanced out and sd-card support is nice, but this is priced way over something like the WXC-50, and even the WXA-50, seems a bit on the expensive side to me.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It doesn't offer too much more over lets say a raspberry pi based build paired with one of the many other good performing dacs.
It has a digital display, touchscreen, remote, headphone jack, balanced & SE line outs, & airplay. Does raspberry pi have all of these?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey, you can't have everything, some has to be left to competition ...
No seriously, for less demanding consumer it may be perfect.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Hey, you can't have everything, some has to be left to competition ...
No seriously, for less demanding consumer it may be perfect.
It seems to come down to a trade off between function and convenience. This unit is convenient, undoubtedly. But the RPi based solution provides a greater function (RPi+DAC+headphone amp).

I use an RPi based solution and really appreciate the flexibility and performance. But for some, I suppose, this unit provides an "all-in-one" solution. I can't help but think that 579€ is quite expensive. What is that you're paying for? (Genuine question)

Last edited:

A Surfer

Major Contributor
You are paying for everything being integrated together already. There are many people who do not want to have to stitch together three components and I doubt that the RPi+ a good DAC + a decent headphone amplifier will come in for that much less (although that depends). You do also have to recognize that this has Bluetooth as a connectivity option and a few other somewhat useful features like the display and remote control. The totality of the package isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be so while it is perhaps more expensive, it isn't egregiously so and for some people the convenience factor of all in one solutions is important.

Sukie

Forum Donor
You are paying for everything being integrated together already. There are many people who do not want to have to stitch together three components and I doubt that the RPi+ a good DAC + a decent headphone amplifier will come in for that much less (although that depends). You do also have to recognise that this has Bluetooth as a connectivity option and a few other somewhat useful features like the display and remote control. The totality of the package isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be so while it is perhaps more expensive, it isn't egregiously so and for some people the convenience factor of all in one solutions is important.
Happy to concede on the convenience, but not on the cost. RPi 4+E30+L30 provides a better measuring performance than this unit, all for approx 280€. This doesn't provide BT but does provide a remote. As already mentioned, the headphone output on this unit is under-powered.

I can understand the convenience, but is that really worth an additional 300€?

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Happy to concede on the convenience, but not on the cost. RPi 4+E30+L30 provides a better measuring performance than this unit, all for approx 280€. This doesn't provide BT but does provide a remote. As already mentioned, the headphone output on this unit is under-powered.

I can understand the convenience, but is that really worth an additional 300€?
Fair points, but it does depend on the user. How many hours of work is required to make the multi-device solution as seamless as the all in one design? I am not sure myself, but if it were a pain in the ass for many people it might be worth the extra difference? How easy is it to use an SD card with RPi + DAC + headphone amp? I suspect for many people that would be important. I will agree though, there are more cost effective options and even finding a Bluetooth enabled DAC could come in under the cost of the DP5.

Magnifico

They should really have build this unit without HP.
It´s instant critique. It´s laughable.
People interested in this product will be repelled because the have to pay for something useless included.

No Roon support. I couln´t care less, but there are too many potential customers that rely on this feature.

And then there is the chinese way of WiFi.
5G Wifi....could be 300mbit...seen it...why no info if this this is capable of streaming high Bitrate stuff ???

Smallest Harddrive I have here is 6TB. So NOPE with this device.

MQA is strong point but on the other hand not. I don´t have a single MQA file here.
But maybe thats just germany.

Sadly another uninspired product from SMSL. If the price is no good....I think this thing won´t sell "easy".

Last edited:
Top Bottom