• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sound BlasterX G6

zermak

If you don't engage any DPS available on the soundcard Dolby Atmos will do it's job (as would HeSuVi) and honestly enabling another DSP (same as the one used already) over the Dobly Atmos one is useless and will result in a bad sounding audio track.
If you refer to using just the one on the soundcard than I can't answer but if are both implemented in the same way than using the DSP on the soundcard you will free some CPU cycles :)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I play COD Warzone, watch Netflix and use Dolby Atmos, will the g6 work with the Dolby Atmos and improve the sound quality?

Edit: Would you take AE-5 or G6? (only for PC use+DT990 headphones.)
My understanding is that Dolby Atmos for headphones is a seperate and different software technology solution to the virtualised 7.1 speaker effect included in say the G6 and AE-5 - you'd choose to use either one of the other. I've tried Dolby Atoms for Headphone, which can be used with any 2 channel DAC and I thought spatial localisation in 3D space in games was rubbish, so I would recommend using the solution that is built into the Soundblaster cards instead.....those cards appear as 7.1 devices to Windows and then the devices then apply the HRTF to the sound to simulate sounds coming from virtual speakers around you. Between AE5 and G6 choose the one with the least bugs and one that has the features you want.

zermak

And yes, if you refer to Dolby Atoms as the audio track in movies then it is something else than a DSP (or the DSP named Dolby Atmos for headphones; bad naming scheme I suppose).

tglodjo

I'm fairly new to the audiophile scene and am still trying to train my ears to hear differences well. I have a question about the G6 compared to other DACS. I've been using it for a few weeks now and really enjoy it, especially since I can easily switch between my PS4 and PC using it. I do have a separate amp for my computer though (Schiit Heresy, though considering the Topping L30 when more reviews drop). I was hopping someone could help me understand the pros and cons of the following potential setups:
  • G6 as dac and amp.
  • Heresy as amp, G6 as dac.
  • Heresy as amp, E30 as dac.
  • Heresy as amp, mobo as dac (MSI Z390 MEG Ace).
In other words, I'm really interested in the differences in sound (not features) of mobo, E30, and G6 DACs. And for good measure, the benefits of using a separate amp with the G6. I will be keeping the G6 regardless because of the console compatibility, so my main concern is the benefits (or not) of using something else like an E30 with my PC. I want great audio, but I'm also not trying to min-max my setup for details/measurements I won't even hear.

For reference, I'm using the following headphones: HD 6XX, DT 880 (250ohm), TYGR 300R, and Vokyl Erupt.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm fairly new to the audiophile scene and am still trying to train my ears to hear differences well. I have a question about the G6 compared to other DACS. I've been using it for a few weeks now and really enjoy it, especially since I can easily switch between my PS4 and PC using it. I do have a separate amp for my computer though (Schiit Heresy, though considering the Topping L30 when more reviews drop). I was hopping someone could help me understand the pros and cons of the following potential setups:
  • G6 as dac and amp.
  • Heresy as amp, G6 as dac.
  • Heresy as amp, E30 as dac.
  • Heresy as amp, mobo as dac (MSI Z390 MEG Ace).
In other words, I'm really interested in the differences in sound (not features) of mobo, E30, and G6 DACs. And for good measure, the benefits of using a separate amp with the G6. I will be keeping the G6 regardless because of the console compatibility, so my main concern is the benefits (or not) of using something else like an E30 with my PC. I want great audio, but I'm also not trying to min-max my setup for details/measurements I won't even hear.

For reference, I'm using the following headphones: HD 6XX, DT 880 (250ohm), TYGR 300R, and Vokyl Erupt.
Welcome to the forum! In terms of getting DAC performance into perspective take a look at this thread, in terms of more real world differences:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-thresholds-of-amp-and-dac-measurements.5734/

The biggest positive effect you can have within your headphone chain is by using a quality headphone amp, because often it is the amp that measures the worst, therefore I would advise using an existing DAC (your G6 is fine unless it's buggy) and then connecting it via Line Out to a quality headphone amp. You mentioned the L30 when it launches, I'm sure that will be fine, and the JDS Labs Atom amp I can recommend on a personal level because I have that one. Also, don't forget to run your G6 at around -2.5dB to avoid distortion, as seen in Amir's review here.

So yeah, long & short of it is, don't worry about the DAC too much but have one that's been measured on this site for your own peace of mind, and then combine it with a quality headphone amp (also measured on this site).

zermak

Don't use the on board DAC if you have the G6, usually they are under 90dB SINAD (but it doesn't meant they are not trasparent enough).
About the AMP. If you already own a Schiit Heresy then you are covered for that too and moving to an L30 will just give you better specs/numbers but I doubt you will be able to hear any improvement/difference, and same for the DAC moving from the G6 to the Toppig E30: nice little box and upgrade in terms of specs and number but again I doubt you will lift some veils :)
If you want an excuse to buy new toys then L30 and E30 are both upgrades from the current setup :p

PS: I have read the review of the G6 again; if you use its toslink for the PS4 be sure to not send to the DAC a full digital signal because it clips, as Amir stated use a -2dBFS one)

tglodjo

Thanks for the replies. And I appreciate the link to that thresholds article, @Robbo99999. Both of you are essentially confirmed what I expected. Being fairly new to the hobby, though, it's just so easy to get wrapped up in the hype of specific stacks. I went ahead and ordered the L30+E30 stack since Apos Audio has their current bundle promo, and because they have free returns so it's a good opportunity to test the different setups. I do have a couple of additional questions:

1. When the review and both of your comments mention the -2dB, is that using the Connect software and just taking the EQ line down -2dB across the board? Or does it refer more to system volume?

2. I love how well the G6 has measured as a DAC, but there isn't much out there comparing it's amp capabilities to others. Wondering if anyone would be able to offer some of the clear differences or shortcomings, especially since Creative markets the device as powering headphones up to 600ohms (which I know does not mean it will power them well).

zermak

Thanks for the replies. And I appreciate the link to that thresholds article, @Robbo99999. Both of you are essentially confirmed what I expected. Being fairly new to the hobby, though, it's just so easy to get wrapped up in the hype of specific stacks. I went ahead and ordered the L30+E30 stack since Apos Audio has their current bundle promo, and because they have free returns so it's a good opportunity to test the different setups. I do have a couple of additional questions:

1. When the review and both of your comments mention the -2dB, is that using the Connect software and just taking the EQ line down -2dB across the board? Or does it refer more to system volume?
System volume. Dunno how it works on Playstation or any console (I don't use them, my brother does) but you should lower the volume in their home/main options I guess.
2. I love how well the G6 has measured as a DAC, but there isn't much out there comparing it's amp capabilities to others. Wondering if anyone would be able to offer some of the clear differences or shortcomings, especially since Creative markets the device as powering headphones up to 600ohms (which I know does not mean it will power them well).
Amir tested it at 300 Ohm and 33 Ohm and you can compare its power to other headphones amps.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

-2dB in Windows equates to 87% windows volume, so make sure you run it below that for the G6.

SlydZ

It would be interesting if there are differences with an external power supply. The manual says that a 1A / 5V external power supply is recommended. As far as I know, a PC USB port can deliver max. 0.5A. Could it be that an external power supply improves THD+N and the -2db transmission becomes obsolete?

Last edited:

claw91

Guys I'm having this issue more and more often as time goes on....

When I start my pc the g6 it's simply nowhere to be found, not even in device manager. Every time I need to remove the mini usb cable and reattach it into the G6 which it's getting REALLY annoying.

Any workaround?

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning

When I start my pc the g6 it's simply nowhere to be found, not even in device manager. Every time I need to remove the mini usb cable and reattach it into the G6 which it's getting REALLY annoying.

Any workaround?

Return it if you still can. Many many people have this issue and some of us tried everything and none worked.

claw91

Return time is over. So basically I can only contact Creative and ask for a replacement. Maybe I should go for an X3. Let's see what they say.
Creative people on Reddit do not answer.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Any workaround?
Mine does that about once every couple of months on my desktop and I fix it by unplugging & replugging the USB cable like you mentioned.....when this problem happens it's only ever happened immediately after startup of the PC. I have no idea what's causing it, but G6 is just buggy....it's very buggy on my laptop, and the only problem I have with it on my desktop is this problem I mentioned that happens every couple of months.

(You could try reinstalling all the software)

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Return time is over. So basically I can only contact Creative and ask for a replacement. Maybe I should go for an X3. Let's see what they say.
Creative people on Reddit do not answer.

They basically gave up on this issue a while ago.

JeffGB

Any workaround?
There are a couple of possible solutions to your problem. First would be to go to Windows Device Manager and set the power options for the USB ports to always on. That fixed the problem with my PC. If that doesn't work for some reason you can use an optical cable to the G6 and plug the G6 USB port into a separate USB charge device (I've used the Apple one that came with my Iphone and also an ASUS one I had for something..). That will eliminate the power disconnects completely. Good Luck!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I have a soundblasterx G6 and in the settings I have to use a filter with direct mode. Which one do you recommend to use? I prefer a sound as faithful to the original as possible. ( I'm referring to these filters: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...sound-blasterx-g6-control-2-review-png.23403/ )
I think the one that's highlighted in that pic is the one to use, that's the type of filter preferred by most people here that know about filters.....is my impression. I use that one.

Top Bottom