• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec - GLM 3.2.0

randy777

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 2.03.41 PM.png
Hi everyone,

I just setup my Genelecs 8341s + 2x7350 subwoofers, which I decided to get based on Amir's review, and couldn't be happier with the sound and quality. I set them up using the latest GLM software released two days ago (v3.2.0 for Mac) and seems there may be a bug.

In short, after 20 minutes of playing music I noticed temps in GLM were showing 44 to 47 Celsius (which is above the 35'degree C safety limit listed in the manual). The outside temp was 27C. There's an ocean breeze coming in my living room and zero direct sunlight so the GLM reported temps seem like they must be off. The subwoofers were cold to the touch on the outside.

After powering them down for an hour, I turned them back on (no music playing, volume controller on lowest setting) and they were showing temps of 27-32C, which seemed right, but within a few minutes the temps steadily rose to 44-46C so I powered them off again.

Is there any else who's upgraded to GLM 3.2.0 who can check their speaker temps to see if they are showing abnormally high temps?

Thanks!

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
35C is the maximum ambient temperature according to the manual, nothing to do with the temperature of the speaker during operation.

I don't know where the temp probe in a Genelec is, but presumably it's internal and 47C is not really that high for internal temp of electronics, some laptops get hotter than that on the OUTSIDE...

Anyways you should just email Genelec support, they respond promptly and in great detail and they are the first party source of truth, but I suspect they're going to tell you it's nothing to be concerned about.

OP
R

randy777

35C is the maximum ambient temperature according to the manual, nothing to do with the temperature of the speaker during operation.

I don't know where the temp probe in a Genelec is, but presumably it's internal and 47C is not really that high for internal temp of electronics, some laptops get hotter than that on the OUTSIDE...

Anyways you should just email Genelec support, they respond promptly and in great detail and they are the first party source of truth, but I suspect they're going to tell you it's nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks for your reply. I reread that part of the manual again and I think you are right. Given that they display the internal temp I'm curious now what they would consider a safe maximum.

I put in a support ticket earlier and will post back if turns out to be anything other.

Top Bottom