• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

a low-frequency thud and then a ‘ker-chunk’

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Great article.

I'd like to know more about these unexpected applications of sound to marketing.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the better door sounds I've heard recently are in the Subaru cars.

One of the less good are in my Miata, they didn't want to waste even a few ounces on any sound deadening. Doesn't matter once you are behind the wheel.

Recent Corvettes have a different sound. Almost like a capsule sealing up. Of course those cars aren't metal.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Great article.

I'd like to know more about these unexpected applications of sound to marketing.
I assume you know for a decade or more companies have been piping engine sounds into the car or applying vibration to the firewalls related to engine operation because they had made the cars too quiet and vibration free. In the case of Ford they were being cheats. 4 cylinders were getting made up V6 sounds, and V6s were getting V8 sounds. Even Porsche has an open pipe from interior to engine bay with a valve to open a modulate engine sounds that get in. VW and BMW had what amounts to speaker drivers without the cones attached to firewalls and programmed to provide the desired effect.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I assume you know for a decade or more companies have been piping engine sounds into the car or applying vibration to the firewalls related to engine operation because they had made the cars too quiet and vibration free. In the case of Ford they were being cheats. 4 cylinders were getting made up V6 sounds, and V6s were getting V8 sounds. Even Porsche has an open pipe from interior to engine bay with a valve to open a modulate engine sounds that get in. VW and BMW had what amounts to speaker drivers without the cones attached to firewalls and programmed to provide the desired effect.
Had no idea of that at all:oops:

I mostly walk, take the bus or a cab. Cars were never high on my list of interests. Never owned one, for example.

That said I'm not really surprised. Cars have such a precise mystique about them. Not a niche product at all but, from the outside looking in, sure seems that way.

Tks

Major Contributor

The heck? I thought sound deadening was a super tough thing to get down. Now youre telling me companies were doing it too well and decided to relax it?

So dumb.

Top Bottom