• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk Audio Signature S15 Speaker Review

digicidal

Major Contributor
That brightness is definitely part of the Polk "house curve" - if you could call it that. Every Polk I've owned exhibited it to some extent... although the RTiA1 (which I don't use currently, but will never sell) and LSiM703 (which I'm listening to while writing this) are both rendered quite "tame" once placed 10-15 degrees off axis. I think almost all were designed to still have some treble energy when placed with little to no toe-in - which makes sense considering how many casual consumers set up their home theaters.

I would definitely rather have some "Polk sizzle" which is easier to tame/tolerate than "Klipsch honking" (which is not). I'm sure others might feel the opposite however. Considering these are some of the least flexible designs Polk makes (as far as size/cost/target) - they did pretty well. They definitely do much better when you step up to their higher product lines however.

The fact that they can continue to produce such nice cabinetry for the prices they ask is absolutely stupefying. To be able to pay under $400 (on sale) for a 3-way standmount with furniture-grade real wood veneers is incredible enough... that they sound good as well is completely nuts in this market. Looking at the aforementioned Klipsch brand... how far up their product line until you get something other than a vinyl sticker on the outside? :rolleyes:

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good candidate for EQ correction (ON, LW, PIR)

cor.png

1597916079144.png

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Polk speakers are usually in the "not awful" category. I wouldn't buy these but they might work OK for rear surrounds in a 5.1 setup that is built around a 2-channel playback system which is used mostly for 2 channel music and occasional use for 5.1 channel TV. In that type of use I would point them at side walls or slightly up at side walls and ceiling behind the main listening / viewing position.

Be OK for a college dorm too I think, but there may be better choices at this price level for Chad or Buffy's dorm.

uwotm8

Good candidate for EQ correction (ON, LW, PIR)
This will not change much for music listening but there may be dramatic changes on true scietific records like HD Mono Pink Noise vol. 2:)

riker1384

Given that one of this speaker's biggest flaws seems to be a port resonance, would it be worth trying plugging the port? If you use it with a subwoofer the reduced bass shouldn't be a big deal.

Any chance of plugging it and measuring the speaker again? (For this speaker, or any that has a port resonance problem, maybe one that's worse than this.) Of course with this one I imagine you'll have to remove the port cover structure.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is very interesting. Did you import Amir's measurements into REQ and generate an EQ setting based on a flat house curve? Would you mind sharing how to do this (in another topic maybe)?

Yes, you can simply load Amir's files in REW (import text) and use the EQ option to tailor the response to any target you prefer. I went the lazy route with this one and for the most part let REW calculate the filters. Depending on which curve you want to load, it may be needed to cut/paste the text to excel, and select the curve you need.

1597934109808.png

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, you can simply load Amir's files in REW (import text) and use the EQ option to tailor the response to any target you prefer. I went the lazy route with this one and for the most part let REW calculate the filters. Depending on which curve you want to load, it may be needed to cut/paste the text to excel, and select the curve you need.

View attachment 79026
I wish every speaker review had this done, if not by Amir (too busy), then by someone else. This would help so much evaluating how much the speaker can improve. But good to know how to do it. Thanks a lot.

xykreinov

Forum Donor
I wish every speaker review had this done, if not by Amir (too busy), then by someone else. This would help so much evaluating how much the speaker can improve. But good to know how to do it. Thanks a lot.
I mean, if there's demand, I'd do one for every review.

Rusty Shackleford

That brightness is definitely part of the Polk "house curve" - if you could call it that. Every Polk I've owned exhibited it to some extent... although the RTiA1 (which I don't use currently, but will never sell) and LSiM703 (which I'm listening to while writing this) are both rendered quite "tame" once placed 10-15 degrees off axis. I think almost all were designed to still have some treble energy when placed with little to no toe-in - which makes sense considering how many casual consumers set up their home theaters.

I would definitely rather have some "Polk sizzle" which is easier to tame/tolerate than "Klipsch honking" (which is not). I'm sure others might feel the opposite however. Considering these are some of the least flexible designs Polk makes (as far as size/cost/target) - they did pretty well. They definitely do much better when you step up to their higher product lines however.

The fact that they can continue to produce such nice cabinetry for the prices they ask is absolutely stupefying. To be able to pay under $400 (on sale) for a 3-way standmount with furniture-grade real wood veneers is incredible enough... that they sound good as well is completely nuts in this market. Looking at the aforementioned Klipsch brand... how far up their product line until you get something other than a vinyl sticker on the outside? :rolleyes:

The 703 are very nice speakers that can be had almost as cheap as the S15 during various blowout sales. The S15, on the other hand, isn’t a good speaker, no matter the price. Better off with the BS22 if you want to go as cheap as possible.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Danny's totally unfounded position is that Speakon connectors are fine for subwoofers, but his tube connectors are audibly superior for full-range applications. He's an accomplished speaker guy, but some of his beliefs are just plain nutty IMO.
Maybe he has to make some extra dollars on some accessories ... like in restaurants were the mark up is 2-3x higher in beverage than the food ...

Top Bottom