• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

~$20-25k System Poll

Which of the following would you pick (1st & 2nd choice)?

• Wired JBL M2 System

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Wireless Dynaudio Focus XD System

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Classic Tubes & Horns

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Just caught up with your thread and voted.
1 M2, a speaker system that eats Kii Three's for breakfast and craps them out long before lunch. :p
2 Classic horns but I'm not so sure about the choice for amps. If I went tube it would be a very accurate modern tube design. Ultra linear, class AB, etc; a tube amp with just enough tube-ness to soften the slight edgeyness of some horn design, probably the same awesome Manley stuff I had. LOL Otherwise just a great SS.

I've heard the Prima Luna Dialogue HP meets that definition.

1214prima.promo_.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Impressive integrated solution, I like it!

I wrote the US distributor (and cofounder) an email asking some detailed questions and he called me yesterday to answer them.

I was impressed with his knowledge of the product and his honesty (e.g. don't buy the optional on-board phono, it's just for convenience).

Also the sheer poundage of the Primaluna are impressive...the top line integrated is like 60+ lbs.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't voted since I haven't heard any of the combinations.
If you want a horn system with horn speakers and simple connection I enjoy Tune Audio Anima speakers with Devialet amps.
What I like about the Devialet is it is one box with a lot of flexibility and can be wireless, but mainly the remote control :).
I appreciate that European stuff can be hard to get and has potentially another layer of profit and shipping to fund in the USA though.
I have my Animas connected to a valve amp at present but it doesn't get near the clarity of the Devialet or its bass.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I haven't voted since I haven't heard any of the combinations.
If you want a horn system with horn speakers and simple connection I enjoy Tune Audio Anima speakers with Devialet amps.
What I like about the Devialet is it is one box with a lot of flexibility and can be wireless, but mainly the remote control :).
I appreciate that European stuff can be hard to get and has potentially another layer of profit and shipping to fund in the USA though.
I have my Animas connected to a valve amp at present but it doesn't get near the clarity of the Devialet or its bass.

Those are very interesting speakers, but the wife would never approve.

On the other hand, I shower her some pics of the JBL 4367 and she said "no bad", so perhaps the pendulum may be swinging in my favor.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Those are very interesting speakers, but the wife would never approve.

On the other hand, I shower her some pics of the JBL 4367 and she said "no bad", so perhaps the pendulum may be swinging in my favor.
Interesting.
The Anima speakers are the only piece of hifi I have bought in 40 years that my wife actually likes - mine have a burr Myrtle veneer. She has brought friends into my room to see them - see them though, not listen...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
She has brought friends into my room
That may be the key right there.
Sounds like "your room" isn't a shared living space.
Maybe watchnerd's is? ;)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That may be the key right there.
Sounds like "your room" isn't a shared living space.
Maybe watchnerd's is? ;)
It is a shared living space but it is me who decides what goes in there, unlike all the other rooms in the house, though I have got away with a pair of Yamaha NS1000M in our bedroom.
Anyway she does like the look of them, unlike any other speakers I have owned, of any size. I really like the fact that they are a bit different too, having lived with "monkey coffins" for 50 years :)

Top Bottom