• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The post in which Darko basically tells anyone who isn't a rich rube to ignore him and audiophilia in general

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Uh, if it's on "permanent loan", that means it belongs to him. Most likely there would be no problems with him selling it. I won't hazard a guess as to whether he would likely get away with not reporting the sale to the IRS. According to that article that was in The Audio Critic, reviewers who give positive reviews are gifted expensive gear as routine compensation, and they do with it as they please.

We must have different definitions of wealthy, then.

A $100k turntable that he can sell for $50k, used, is not what I would call even remotely liquid or high net worth.

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been reluctant to let it be known here that I don't own a DAC. Uh oh, now I've done it. No more respect for me.

If you plug your headphones into the headphone jack of your cheap notebook computer and don't ever hear any noise, and if so far as you can tell you never hear distortion except once in a while when you hear a sound that is most likely the sound your headphones make when you try to make them play louder than they want to play, would there be a genuinely good reason for you to go out and buy a DAC?

I need to say something to earn back some respect. I recently bought, from an eBay seller, a mid-80s digital multimeter. Not just any. A Fluke 8060A. It will measure signal level (volts) with very good accuracy as high in frequency as 50 kHz. The norm for the great majority of DMMs that you see in hardware stores and online is 400 Hz, which means that the great majority of DMMs are useless for audio frequency measurements. Most of these older Fluke meters have been beat all to hell, but I lucked into an exceptionally good one that looks and performs like it just came out of the box. I just can't tell you how cool it is. Instead of having the now-ubiquitous rotating knob that visits all the settings you don't want while you move it to the setting you want, it has a row of big sturdy push buttons along one edge. Two of the buttons are used for selecting the function, giving four possible function settings, for current, volts, resistance, and diode test. Another button the same color as those two selects AC vs. DC. The other five buttons are a darker color and they select the range. Direct access to every setting. True RMS readings of course. It also measures frequency of course. It is very, very cool. Every time I pick it up I, well, let's just say that it's a cool toy.

Ultra kudos for going "pure"

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Why is this so hard to think is possible?

See organized religion / Creationism in the face of 150 years of post-Darwin science.

That's basically the essence of confirmation bias -- a filtration of facts that match you pre-existing position to avoid cognitive dissonance.
Ok , so what happens for a lot of folks is they get excited by their subjective led conclusions and genuinely want to share and help people feel like they feel and share their discoveries with others .

It's completely normal and you would be weird not to feel this way when you discover something good.

They are just taken with a faulty feedback loop that's very hard to accept.

This doesn't make anyone' bad ' , generally we are all deluded towards our own good and virtue. There really is no such thing as a objective humanoid. The fact a few here truly believe they are objective in the way they live actually is more of a worry than some bloke thinking a new DAC has made the soundstage 3 dimensional .

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

A $100k turntable that he can sell for $50k, used, is not what I would call even remotely liquid or high net worth.

Enough to keep me and mine in chicken nuggets and cooking lager for a few months though.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Enough to keep me and mine in chicken nuggets and cooking lager for a few months though.

I bought a 4 pack of this rotgut in a Parisian convenience store in the 15th arrondisement in 2015 to drink in my hotel room, not really knowing what it was:

100_0424.JPG

KaiserSoze

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why is this so hard to think is possible?

See organized religion / Creationism in the face of 150 years of post-Darwin science.

That's basically the essence of confirmation bias -- a filtration of facts that match your pre-existing position to avoid cognitive dissonance.

Somewhat valid, but for the most part people acquire their biases with respect to religion and belief in creationism at a very young age. For the most part this is something that is treated on a daily basis as sacrosanct, by the parents on whom we depend for everything from the very earliest age. As such I doubt if the comparison is useful.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

High net worth to me is someone that can spend $41000 on a androgynous mannequin and who's sense of value doesn't prevent them from keeping a $90000 measurement system in their cold unsecured garage .

KaiserSoze

But that's just one turntable!

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
This doesn't make anyone' bad ' , generally we are all deluded towards our own good and virtue. There really is no such thing as a objective humanoid. The fact a few here truly believe they are objective in the way they live actually is more of a worry than some bloke thinking a new DAC has made the soundstage 3 dimensional .

One of the ironies of objectivist audiophiles is how un-objective they can be when faced with the extensive evidence on the enduring irrationality of humanity.

KaiserSoze

Ok , so what happens for a lot of folks is they get excited by their subjective led conclusions and genuinely want to share and help people feel like they feel and share their discoveries with others .

It's completely normal and you would be weird not to feel this way when you discover something good.

They are just taken with a faulty feedback loop that's very hard to accept.

My new DAC creates a 4-dimensional soundstage. Also, it reaches new highs in terms of virtuality, far more virtual than most any other DACs on the market at present.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
One of the ironies of objectivist audiophiles is how un-objective they can be when faced with the extensive evidence on the enduring irrationality of humanity.
Yea that's what I said but made more betterer .. not going to school and being my mum's pimp comes back to bite me AGAIN.

KaiserSoze

High net worth to me is someone that can spend $41000 on a androgynous mannequin and who's sense of value doesn't prevent them from keeping a $90000 measurement system in their cold unsecured garage .

He keeps it in an unsecured garage? Really? If his neighbors figure out that it is the reason for that burping noise they keep hearing ...

KaiserSoze

Or, they might be fully in synch with you on that far more fundamental question but just don't think that the analogy is a particularly useful analogy. People don't generally have it beat into their heads from a very early age that information encoded in a discrete, non-continuous fashion is inherently evil. Very many people who reject Darwin's theory (of evolution by the means of natural selection) were taught from a very young age that Darwin's theory is actually the work of the devil. Lots of people are programmed to believe this. I doubt very much if when Fremer was a child he was programmed to believe that discrete encoding of music is the work of the devil.

KaiserSoze

Again...I think we inhabit different worlds as to what it means to be wealthy.

Meeting Regulation D requirements is what I would consider a minimum bar.

I'm entirely certain that I have not said a single word about what it means to be wealthy. It strikes me as very bizarre for you to have thought that I did. Very strange.

Top Bottom