• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

ZenTraveler

I don't.
Try to hook up an smsl M400 to a recent topping headamp, just to hear how output impedance of a dac doesn't matter.
I should have put usually in the original post. There are some "special" DAC that does not behave like how generally a DAC behave.

Jave

Fair enough. But these exceptions make the impedance question totally legitimate :).
Isn't the impedance same across the FR? (seems to be the case from measurements on Topping's site) So all the difference will be in volume only, right?

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't.
Try to hook up an smsl M400 to a recent topping headamp, just to hear how output impedance of a dac doesn't matter.

Just looked at SMSL M400.

Looks like a beast to me :)

Unfortunately, WAY OUT of my price league :-(

I have the E30 that I use as a pre so it outputs to my headphones directly via RCA to mini-jack 3.5mm adapter.
I have just listened to it with my AudioQuest Nighthawk...
All I can say is that I really like the sound that is coming out of this tiny little thing !!!
It is a delight to listen to the NightHawk with this one... And makes me hesitate to sell that headphone...
Will now listen to the Fidelio X2, the B&O H9i and B&W P7 "Wireless" (but in wired mode obviously...).

Regards.

I have the E30 that I use as a pre so it outputs to my headphones directly via RCA to mini-jack 3.5mm adapter.
All I can say is that I really like the sound that is coming out of this tiny little thing !!!
It is a delight to listen to the NightHawk with this one... And makes me hesitate to sell that headphone...
Will now listen to the Fidelio X2, the B&O H9i and B&W P7 "Wireless" (but in wired mode obviously...).

Regards.

Just buy the cheapest dac that measures well and call it a day. No ? they all sound the same anyway be it a E30 or M400.
Unless your looking for a specific feature

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Isn't the impedance same across the FR? (seems to be the case from measurements on Topping's site) So all the difference will be in volume only, right?
I couldn't find the an impedance vs freq measurement on the E30 page, so I have to believe you :). So yes, difference in volume only. But these can be huge.

Regards.
Unfortunately smsl completely screwed up the output stages. Ultra high impedance + non flat over FR for RCA.
Enjoy your listening.

Jave

I couldn't find the an impedance vs freq measurement on the E30 page, so I have to believe you :). So yes, difference in volume only. But these can be huge.

Unfortunately smsl completely screwed up the output stages. Ultra high impedance + non flat over FR for RCA.
Enjoy your listening.
I can't find any measurements of the impedance also now, but I swear I saw it somewhere. Anyway, why pay 800$ when you can get something as elegant and small and sonically transparent as the E30?

oozy

a noob question i have atom amp what kind of cables do i need to connect it to topping e30 im really noob in audio,
and another question did the pop sound got patched?

SloPoke

Forum Donor
Ordinary RCA interconnects go from the E30 output to your Atom amp. Any length you need, but I think as short as can get away with usually best. I don't know about the pop sound (I haven't noticed it)
apos-audio-topping-cable-topping-tcr1-rca-cable-14940804743242_1000x667.jpg

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So this can be used as a DAC or as a DAC/preamp is that correct ?
If I get it right, if used as a DAC, there's no volume control, but if used as a pre it had volume control enabled ?

When you say "use as a pre-amp" what are you picturing? Its not a hub for multiple inputs, including analog inputs that can attenuate signal to pass to power amps

It can take multiple digital inputs and attenuate the level out of its RCA outputs. It is and always will be a DAC- its output is of a variable level- so you dont need another pre amp if you are feeding just this into power amp/ powered speakers.

oozy

Ordinary RCA interconnects go from the E30 output to your Atom amp. Any length you need, but I think as short as can get away with usually best. I don't know about the pop sound (I haven't noticed it)

ty another question if u dont mind can i control the sound volume from my pc or do i need play with the remote all the time,
and are there any alternative to the RCA interconnects cables?

SloPoke

Forum Donor
Yes, you can control the volume from the PC. Or, you can also control volume with the E30 remote.

The only output on the E30 are the RCA analogue outputs. You must connect a Right and Left RCA cable to the E30 output, but there are options for the other end of said cables. The other end could be also RCA left and right connections, or could be a stereo mini plug .

Last edited:

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
maybe 3.5mm to 3.5mm.

anyone got good suggestion on short RCA interconnects cables from amazon or ebay around 30 dollars my country only have long cheap cables..

How long? Like 3 feet? If so, they'll be fine. The really thick, stiff short cables are kind of annoying with most of these light-weight headphone components anyway...

oozy

How long? Like 3 feet? If so, they'll be fine. The really thick, stiff short cables are kind of annoying with most of these light-weight headphone components anyway...

around 1.5 feet to 3 feet the shorter the better if it can bend ofc

Top Bottom