• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Safety And Design of DIY originated Audio Products

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
The Purestream DAC is only 2 channel. No way to sync them. I can do 10 sets of boards for $6500. Then you need opamps. Several opamps from $25 a piece to $170 a piece are compatible. Anything John Hardy 990/2520 compatible in Jfet or bipolar.

If you want to order 40 of the Weiss OP2-BP's the price will drop to $130 a piece. 4 per DAC required.

Mike, you are way off beam for OEM pricing, it makes no sense. I can buy retail a professional audio interface from the likes of Antelope, Lynx etc for half that price. Known excellent performance and sound, synced channels, support........

So Mike, you don't have any boards, not even any for OEM evaluation, you don't have any measurements on how the product performs, you clearly don't know much about electronic design, let alone whole product design, and you charge prices that are 5x over the top.

Sounds very audiophile............ :)

Mike, its obvious you don't have any OEM customers and you don't have a business. No professional company would use you as an OEM supplier as you are a garden shed operation.

Last edited:

Mivera

Major Contributor
Mike, you are way off beam for OEM pricing, it makes no sense. I can buy retail a professional audio interface from the likes of Antelope, Lynx etc for half that price. Known excellent performance and sound, synced channels, support........

So Mike, you don't have any boards, not even any for OEM evaluation, you don't have any measurements on how the product performs, you clearly don't know much about electronic design, let alone whole product design, and you charge prices that are 5x over the top.

Sounds very audiophile............ :)

Mike, its obvious you don't have any OEM customers and you don't have a business. No professional company would use you as an OEM supplier as you are a garden shed operation.

If you can get better for cheaper go for it. My OEM clients listen to the gear before deciding if they like it.

5 times over the top? I have a break down of parts prices on the DIY thread. At industry standard margins the Purestream would be well over $10000 retail. Obviously You have no idea how much these big brand DAC's retailing for $3000 cost to build. Most around $300-400 BOM.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Here you go. If you can source the parts cheaper please share links:

Purestream DAC board/Puregain, Pureblock (with populated caps and regulators)= $650

Purestream case= $250

Belleson SPZ regulators x4= $218

Weiss OP2-BP discrete class A opamps x4= $700

Daitron HFD30-15 power supply= $200

Hypex Softstart= $40

Bulgin power button with blue LED= $30

Schurter IEC mains inlet with switch= $12.50

Schaffner medical grade mains filter with 2uA leakage current= $8.20

Neutrik DLX XLR connectors= $9

UP-OCC silver cable for XLR outputs= $40

Shielded cables for AC to softstart/EMI filter/power supply= $10

GRAND TOTAL= $2167.70

Mivera

Major Contributor
You forgot:

Chance of electric shock = priceless.

If you stick your dick in a light socket you will get a shock as well. Common sense tells most not to do that.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you stick your dick in a light socket you will get a shock as well. Common sense tells most not to do that.
Common sense would be to not purchase anything from beginner hobbyists who don't know anything about electric risks.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Common sense would be to not purchase anything from beginner hobbyists who don't know anything about electric risks.

I agree. However if you have any bit of sense at all, you'll clearly see there's no risks with the Purestream. You're just hoping some of my clients are so dense in this department that they'll actually listen to what you're saying. But sorry this isn't the case.

You're just a rep for the large mass produced in China products. This is why you attack small boutique companies. You don't actually give a shit about safety. It's all about money.

If you think my Purestream isn't built to code, pretty much all hand built boutique gear isn't either. My Purestream meets CE compliance 100%. Most don't even have the CE mark. Especially on prototypes like the Purestream was.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I agree. However if you have any bit of sense at all, you'll clearly see there's no risks with the Purestream. You're just hoping some of my clients are so dense in this department that they'll actually listen to what you're saying. But sorry this isn't the case.

You're just a rep for the large mass produced in China products. This is why you attack small boutique companies. You don't actually give a shit about safety. It's all about money.

If you think my Purestream isn't built to code, pretty much all hand built boutique gear isn't either. My Purestream meets CE compliance 100%. Most don't even have the CE mark. Especially on prototypes like the Purestream was.
No. Any engineer looking at your design would throw up on the layout and safety considerations. The first lesson you learn in analog engineering is to keep mains away from analog circuits and you have your bloody mains wires right next to your analog output for heaven's sake.

Put your device through safety testing and then tell me you will pass. You have not even read let alone understood CE requirements. Even the best designed equipment can flunk it and you tell me this hobby sham of a device is compliant?

My experience comes from managing hardware development at major companies and having to qualify with these standards. Both consumer and professional equipment. I have been into analog electronics since 1960s.

I am happy to praise equipment from small companies. Those companies often have a real designer. You are not a designer. You are a box assembler without understanding of any of the fundamental principles of electronics.

Yes, fair amount of boutique equipment comes without certification. If however I look in there and it passes the smell test, i.e., it looks professionally designed, I am not going to lose sleep over it.

You on the other hand, raise every hair on the back of my neck. And that of other engineers here who have commented on it.

Would you like me to post it in eevblog forum and have people crucify you?

You are getting away with it because you are dealing with poor end users who don't look under the hood and assume you are producing safe and performant equipment.

Now, if you had some data, any measurements of safety and performance, it would be one thing. But you don't. You substitute arrogance, rudeness, and total disdain for learning.

Mivera

Major Contributor
No. Any engineer looking at your design would throw up on the layout and safety considerations. The first lesson you learn in analog engineering is to keep mains away from analog circuits and you have your bloody mains wires right next to your analog output for heaven's sake.

Put your device through safety testing and then tell me you will pass. You have not even read let alone understood CE requirements. Even the best designed equipment can flunk it and you tell me this hobby sham of a device is compliant?

My experience comes from managing hardware development at major companies and having to qualify with these standards. Both consumer and professional equipment. I have been into analog electronics since 1960s.

I am happy to praise equipment from small companies. Those companies often have a real designer. You are not a designer. You are a box assembler without understanding of any of the fundamental principles of electronics.

Yes, fair amount of boutique equipment comes without certification. If however I look in there and it passes the smell test, i.e., it looks professionally designed, I am not going to lose sleep over it.

You on the other hand, raise every hair on the back of my neck. And that of other engineers here who have commented on it.

Would you like me to post it in eevblog forum and have people crucify you?

You are getting away with it because you are dealing with poor end users who don't look under the hood and assume you are producing safe and performant equipment.

Now, if you had some data, any measurements of safety and performance, it would be one thing. But you don't. You substitute arrogance, rudeness, and total disdain for learning.

Blaaa blaaa blaaa. A bunch of BS. You're the only guy who ever pumps up your lacklustre credentials. In reality you got fired from a management position at Microsoft for incompetence, and with your severance package invested into a bunch of audio companies. Now you started this forum to bash competitors, and spread the Harman religion.

You have absolutely no engineering background actually building audio electronics. You have absolutely no noteworthy achievements in the field to boast about whatsoever.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Blaaa blaaa blaaa. A bunch of BS. You're the only guy who ever pumps up your lacklustre credentials. In reality you got fired from a management position at Microsoft for incompetence, and with your severance package invested into a bunch of audio companies. Now you started this forum to bash competitors, and spread the Harman religion.

You have absolutely no engineering background actually building audio electronics. You have absolutely no noteworthy achievements in the field to boast about whatsoever.
Nah. You are jealous of me that I got to stand next to Jewel and they won't even let you into the door: https://www.google.com/search?q=mic...AUICygC&biw=1745&bih=864#imgrc=snslwjfb3CB9QM:

upload_2017-8-26_22-18-31.png

And stood right next to stage to sing for us:

PICT0896.JPG

Mivera

Major Contributor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How many noteworthy pieces of audio gear have you designed?
I built and sold shortwave transmitters when I was in elementary school (1960s). One of the kids got buyer's remorse and wanted his money back. I told him I couldn't (had already spent it :) ).

Next day I come to school and get called to the principal's office. I go in there and in the corner of my eye see the kid and his parent. I figured I was in deep trouble.

Principal looked at me and asked, "you know it is against the school rules to sell stuff at school, yes?" I said "yes" while getting ready for serious beating. The principal puts the transmitter I had sold the kid and said, "this is darn cool!" Asked me to give the money back to the kid and that was that.

How is this for noteworthy? :D

How many noteworthy pieces of audio gear have you designed?
I managed the development of professional audio equipment for broadcast and post production fields (and a workstation with audio subsystem while at Sony). Two of those products won technical Emmy awards for excellence.

My team won a third one while at Microsoft, this time for the modern version which is to stream audio/video on the web:

http://bryan-brown.com/emmy07tech/portraits/pages/2210_0075.htm

2210_0075.jpg

So no, I don't design commercial audio equipment. I think it is the absolute worst thing one can do: turning a good hobby into a bad business.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
snip......
So no, I don't design commercial audio equipment. I think it is the absolute worst thing one can do: turning a good hobby into a bad business.

I commend this idea. Seen too many people turn their hobby which they have great passion for and get enjoyment out of into a business and ruin it for themselves.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I can personally attest to that, done it twice. Commercially successful enough, but took all the fun out of what was a passion.

Mivera

Major Contributor
I built and sold shortwave transmitters when I was in elementary school (1960s). One of the kids got buyer's remorse and wanted his money back. I told him I couldn't (had already spent it :) ).

Next day I come to school and get called to the principal's office. I go in there and in the corner of my eye see the kid and his parent. I figured I was in deep trouble.

Principal looked at me and asked, "you know it is against the school rules to sell stuff at school, yes?" I said "yes" while getting ready for serious beating. The principal puts the transmitter I had sold the kid and said, "this is darn cool!" Asked me to give the money back to the kid and that was that.

How is this for noteworthy? :D

I managed the development of professional audio equipment for broadcast and post production fields (and a workstation with audio subsystem while at Sony). Two of those products won technical Emmy awards for excellence.

My team won a third one while at Microsoft, this time for the modern version which is to stream audio/video on the web:

http://bryan-brown.com/emmy07tech/portraits/pages/2210_0075.htm

2210_0075.jpg

Great achievements, but nothing related to audio gear manufacturing. You don't need any hands on skills to be a manager.

Me personally seek advise from professionals in the field if I want a professional opinion of a product. Not salesmen who own dealerships that sell competitive products.

That's quite ridiculous. No different than going into a BMW dealership run by a crooked schyster and seeking advice on Mercedes.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
If you can get better for cheaper go for it. My OEM clients listen to the gear before deciding if they like it.

5 times over the top? I have a break down of parts prices on the DIY thread. At industry standard margins the Purestream would be well over $10000 retail. Obviously You have no idea how much these big brand DAC's retailing for $3000 cost to build. Most around $300-400 BOM.

I will thanks Mike, your OEM prices are daft. I can get a fine professional (you know, the ones they use in studios to record in the first place) multichannel DAC/ADC as I mentioned for half the price of 10 channels of your DAC only boards.. Yes I am fully aware that 5-6 times BOM is normal, all this indicates is that demand for your product is non existent so you cant manufacture in quantity to bring price down. It also means you spend money on expensive boutique components which have yet to be demonstrated to do anything useful.

Last edited:

Mivera

Major Contributor
I will thanks Mike, your OEM prices are daft. I can get a fine professional (you know, the ones they use in studios to record in the first place) multichannel DAC/ADC as I mentioned for half the price of 10 channels of your DAC only boards.. Yes I am fully aware that 5-6 times BOM is normal, all this indicates is that demand for your product is non existent so you cant manufacture in quantity to bring price down. It also means you spend money on expensive boutique components which have yet to be demonstrated to do anything useful.

No it indicates your measly order of 10 units means you aren't a serious OEM client. Order 1000 units and price will reduce drastically. If you notice on Digikey and Mouser the price goes down the more you buy. This is the way things work in business.

Top Bottom