• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ARX RS-1 XLR AB Switcher Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Indeed. Ostensibly, people can accomplish the same task (albeit without remote control) by simply swapping the cables, and do so with 0 dB cross-source crosstalk. If you have a kid, that takes care of the remote control function, too.
You know, there was a time when we walked up to the TV to change the channels! People said at the same time that remotes were not necessary as how much effort was it to get up and change the channel? Well, folks underestimated how lazy we all are. :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You know, there was a time when we walked up to the TV to change the channels! People said at the same time that remotes were not necessary as how much effort was it to get up and change the channel? Well, folks underestimated how lazy we all are. :)
I remember it well. In small town Canada we had 1 and then 2 over the air blurry NTSC channels and there was never channel changing when the hockey game was on. When we got 3 channels we thought it was the best. :D Now we have many channels and I watch 2.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You know, there was a time when we walked up to the TV to change the channels!

I think several of us were likely pressed into service as "remote controls" for our fathers. Turret tuners on VHF and then a reduction geared UHF.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s not about lazy, I can have whatever gear I’d like so long as it’s easy for the rest of the family to use. That means one button system turn on ,input selection etc.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I didn't want to make it too excited by doing that....

Believe he was inferring the Covid-19 situation over there at the moment. Though chances are, these were produced before the pandemic crisis.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Too expensive for what it is.
I challenge you to find a cheaper trigger controlled xlr switcher.
I’m sure Behringer could make a plastic one for $50, but they don’t.

DuxServit

Forum Donor

There was a time when there was only 1 channel, so no need of walking up :)

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use this device trigger from my Oppo Sonica DAC. Simply, turn on the DAC and it is direct to the AHB2s. It's lovely.

The Benchmark LA4 switches between the Emotiva RMC-1 and Oppo UDP-105 XLR outputs with level matching.
The ARX switches between the LA4 and Sonica DAC (that handles Airplay).

I also have a Kramer 4 x 1 stereo XLR switch but if left in the wrong position, the family complains ;)
I tucked the ARX behind credenza and it does its job. It's expensive but worth it.

Thanks @waynel for supplying the ARX and @amirm for reviewing it. It's good to know about the channel bleed, I may reprogram the remote to make sure the LA4 input is muted or off when selecting the Sonica DAC.

- Rich

billsq

I modified my Nobsound switcher with 2 12v trigger controls :D

12707E45-4601-4123-BE6B-C69244C71931.jpeg

EEF8FC4A-C40F-468A-8590-82CDA47FCC43.jpeg

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Labjr

Major Contributor
If you're gonna do DIY then you can start from scratch and just buy nice Neutrik jacks and make a relay board.

Last edited:

Dzhaughn

Indeed. Ostensibly, people can accomplish the same task (albeit without remote control) by simply swapping the cables, and do so with 0 dB cross-source crosstalk. If you have a kid, that takes care of the remote control function, too.

C'mon, kids cost much much more than this $375 beauty. And the long cables to enable swapping ends from your chair could impact the sound quality in various ways.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Beside the stated use case, another would be to build an automated AB box to switch between powered speakers.
You mean using inputs as outputs and using turnaround adapters on all connectors? There's gotta be a better way to do this.

MerlinGS

Forum Donor

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And we wonder why CICU's are filled to capacity with 50 something males.

win

You mean using inputs as outputs and using turnaround adapters on all connectors? There's gotta be a better way to do this.

It's easy to forget that xlr cables are directional. I don't really get the benefit of building them that way, either.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
There is a better way
1) neutrik makes convertible xlr connectors, just make some cables with these connectors https://www.neutrik.com/en/neutrik/products/xlr-connectors/xlr-cable-connectors/convertcon?c=audio
2) ARX has a model RS-2 which has one set of stereo inputs and two sets of stereo outputs
3) make some M/M and F/F cables
Thanks. I don't see the 1In 2 Outs Model on their website anywhere tough, that would be best, but not sure the other options you mention are that much "better" functionally, making custom cables, using adapters or unisex termination are all technically the same solution, and are all equally pricy, for a switching device that is already pricy for what it does. Since it's a device you would normally "add" to an existing system that grows to a second set of monitors. Those Neutrik are close to 20$ each by the way. Also, time IS of value, It is money, and not everybody own a soldering iron. I personally own one, but when faced with the choice of reterminating a cable or replacing them, I usually go for the latter... Lazyness I know.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I don't see the 1In 2 Outs Model on their website anywhere tough, that would be best, but not sure the other options you mention are that much "better" functionally, making custom cables, using adapters or unisex termination are all technically the same solution, and are all equally pricy, for a switching device that is already pricy for what it does. Since it's a device you would normally "add" to an existing system that grows to a second set of monitors. Those Neutrik are close to 20$ each by the way. Also, time IS of value, It is money, and not everybody own a soldering iron. I personally own one, but when faced with the choice of reterminating a cable or replacing them, I usually go for the latter... Lazyness I know.
Here you go:
https://www.markertek.com/product/arx-rs-2/arx-rs-2-remote-switched-stereo-selector

Top Bottom