• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier Suggestion for Dynaudio Emit M10

Audioman93

Hello ASR,

I recently though of upgrading my audio equipment and have chosen the Dynaudio Emit M10 6Ohm speakers for my new replacement for the vizio soundbar
I currently use a BeyerDynamic DT-880 250Ohm headset through a Schiit Fulla 2 amp/dac for critical listening on my recordings and playback but run everything else on the cheap soundbar.

Where I am asking for help on is what power supply I should use to power the speakers with. The Dynaudio M10 can handle up to 180 watts at 6ohm. Most amps are 8 and 4 ohms. The other thing is I would like to use my D.A.C. and any dac upgrades with the amp as the source. I do lack understanding with several things when it comes to this. The last thing is that I would prefer to spend under $800 for an amp or lower if I could get away with it. The bottom line one I could find is around $300 from Russound; A2100.

Thanks for suggestions and knowledge!

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would suggest you spend a little more and get a better measuring amplifier as the specifications on the Russound are a bit weak. For $500 shipped you can get one of these:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...reo-amplifier-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm-p-14278.html

More power (enough for pretty much any speaker with reasonable sensitivity, so any future speaker purchases you may make), excellent measurements, and reliable.

OP
A

Audioman93

I would suggest you spend a little more and get a better measuring amplifier as the specifications on the Russound are a bit weak. For $500 shipped you can get one of these:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...reo-amplifier-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm-p-14278.html

More power (enough for pretty much any speaker with reasonable sensitivity, so any future speaker purchases you may make), excellent measurements, and reliable.

Excellent, I looked at it. Looks perfect to match with the M10's. Thanks a lot for the suggestion. It's about $550 with international shipping. Seems very reasonable.

OP
A

Audioman93

One more question I have. I am unsure if I would need a Preamplifier since I already have a Schiit Fulla 2 that can be used as one. Though I tried it with my sound bar and the the dial needed to be maxed to get a less-than-great audible sound.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Over here the M10s are like 250€ a pop. Spending as much on the amplifier as on the speakers doesn't sound like sensible budget distribution to me. Space permitting, I might look at a Yamaha A-S501 or similar for these, even if technically you only need a power amp.

Some measurements of the M10s. Dispersion actually looks alright, sensitivity is overstated by about 3 dB, and the frequency response isn't what I'd call dead flat and is likely to require some parametric EQ (I'dd look at the 500 Hz & ~1.7 kHz dips and the usual bass peak in particular).

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I've owned various Dynaudio speakers over the last 10+ years.

I currently run LYD 5 actives in my office / mixing studio, and Contour 20 in my living room.

Dynaudios do best with ample power reserves and with amps that have good current output.

I've had good results with class D amps of various flavors.

Dzhaughn

Over here the M10s are like 250€ a pop. Spending as much on the amplifier as on the speakers doesn't sound like sensible budget distribution to me. Space permitting, I might look at a Yamaha A-S501 or similar for these, even if technically you only need a power amp.

Some measurements of the M10s. Dispersion actually looks alright, sensitivity is overstated by about 3 dB, and the frequency response isn't what I'd call dead flat and is likely to require some parametric EQ (I'dd look at the 500 Hz & ~1.7 kHz dips and the usual bass peak in particular).

but but but the A-S501 costs more than the Audiophonics ncore amplifier, no? I'm looking at USA list prices.

You can safely use the 4 ohm rating of an amp as a gauge for your 6 ohm speakers. Reality will be between the 4 and 8 ohm ratings. This is very coarse level information so don't obsess over a dozen watts one way or the other.

Why not use a power calculator to figure the required amplifier wattage? The distance from your speakers is a key variable that hasn't been mentioned yet. If your answer approaches 180W you have the wrong speakers. Or the wrong room.

https://www.crownaudio.com/en-US/tools/calculators#amp_power_required

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One more question I have. I am unsure if I would need a Preamplifier since I already have a Schiit Fulla 2 that can be used as one. Though I tried it with my sound bar and the the dial needed to be maxed to get a less-than-great audible sound.

Your Fulla can be used as a preamp. The issue you are having with your soundbar is you likely were using the variable output instead of the fixed which made for two volume controls in the path and a gain staging issue. Just get a 1/8" to stereo rca adaptor and use it on the far left connection on the Fulla (#4 in the manual). This is a good cable:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...locphy=9032015&hvtargid=pla-300040587823&th=1

If you want to go wild and crazy on the cable:

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/MSA1.htm

Finally, in response to the person suggesting the Yamaha integrated. He appears to want just an amplifier and to keep it compact, so probably not the appropriate tool for the job, but otherwise a good suggestion.

OP
A

Audioman93

I chose the Dynaudio Emit M10's because I like the sound of the speaker. It sounds very wide and open as if the band is playing in the middle of your home. Sounds pretty close to a flat response and the clarity was just amazing!

I will use these speakers in either a large room or near-field listening. So somewhere in between for spl to be a little flexible with music. Though I'm aware I would need an amp with good current to get the cones moving well enough. Plus I'm the guy that plays guitar with a halfstack tube amp in the bedroom so. Haha.

Also the AudioPhonics amplifier is perfect for my case. I need the compactness as well as the power to push the cones the best. Far as I know.

With the Fulla 2 I have it set to run as a D.A.C. only with a male to male TRS 3.5mm cable. But I switched to the preamp side of it and it seemed like it only power the speakers using the built-in amplifier of the fulla 2 unit. Way too weak. Thought I would see how it would work as a preamp. Sorry for my lack of understanding since I'm just starting to learn about these things.

Top Bottom