• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

ehabheikal

This is a review and detailed measurements of the new Topping E30 USB DAC. It was kindly sent to me by the company for testing. Unfortunately I did not get pricing information. As soon as I get it, I will post it.

EDIT: just heard back. US cost is just $129.99!

This is a bit of a new look for Topping DAC, borrowing from DX3 Pro but with dual color display:

It looks better in person than my low-contrast image above. A touch button turns on the unit (takes it out of standby) and also lets you select inputs.

Note that it will be available in black and silver.

Here is the back:

It is a similar setup as Topping D50 with external USB power (mandatory for all inputs). For my testing, I hooked up the power input using the supplied cable from my USB display hub (next to its data port).

A remote control is provided which works identically as previous Topping products. Indeed I used the one from my Topping DX3 Pro to control it.

Internally this shows progression of Topping toward AKM DAC chips in the form of AK4493.

DAC Audio Measurements
Let's start with our usual dashboard:
View attachment 54919

Distortion levels are incredibly low at -120 dB and lower. The addition of noise takes SINAD down to 112 dB which is most competent for a small little DAC like this:
View attachment 54920

Dynamic range follows suit:
View attachment 54922

When I run my IMD test, I usually expect DACs to struggle to match the Topping DX3 Pro. The E30 nicely matches it in noise and then bests it in final distortion amount:

View attachment 54923

Multitone test shows low enough distortion product as to be fit for the best you can do in any high resolution audio format:
View attachment 54924

Due to low level of noise, some spurious tones are visible but they are utterly inaudible:

View attachment 54925

THD+N versus Frequency is a bit less staller:

View attachment 54926

As is typical, this test includes components well above audible band and there, there is some extra energy which causes the graph to lift up independent of frequency. We can see the reason in the filter settings available:

View attachment 54927

What chip companies call "sharp" is still soft in that instead of roll off at 22.05 kHz, it goes on to 24 kHz. That allows some energy to escape into ultrasonic frequencies as noted.

Linearity is absolutely nailed:

View attachment 54928

Conclusions
The Topping E30 targets a (small) step from state of the art in DAC performance and it delivers. It has attractive look and design element. I have a soft spot for orange LED displays so excuse me for that. :) Note that there is no Bluetooth input so if you care about that, you need to look at other Topping offerings.

With my assumption that this is a mid-priced DAC, I am happy to add Topping E30 to my recommended desktop DACs.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Packed and shipped three boxes, one of which almost clocked 70 pounds! I feel like calling UPS and getting an honorary delivery man badge given how much I am shipping things back and forth. I sure hope this makes you feel guilty enough to donate a few dollars using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Does this have a remote? Can we always get a shot of remotes? Some people like me are couch potatoes or don't have fully functioning legs lol

SpitFire

Can you please tell me, did the touch on / off button work right away?
I received an e30, it does not work for him yet, I pressed it a thousand times, only the remote control. Is there any other way to switch to switch to DAC mode or pre amp mode via the remote control?

D

Deleted member 18309

Can you please tell me, did the touch on / off button work right away?
I received an e30, it does not work for him yet, I pressed it a thousand times, only the remote control. Is there any other way to switch to switch to DAC mode or pre amp mode via the remote control?

It should work. In fact, the button is quite sensitive. I recall activating it by accident a few times when moving the unit on my desk. As far as I know there is no way to change modes via remote. Get it exchanged or contact Topping support?

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It should work. In fact, the button is quite sensitive. I recall activating it by accident a few times when moving the unit on my desk. As far as I know there is no way to change modes via remote. Get it exchanged or contact Topping support?
I had to disconnect USB in order to get mode switching to work.

Toku

Major Contributor
PRE/DAC mode switching procedure

Touch and hold SEL on the E30 panel to set to sleep mode (only dots are lit).

Then touch and hold SEL on the panel. After a while, the current mode is displayed.

If you continue touching, the mode will change.

Then release your finger from SEL.

Next, short-touch SEL to turn on the power and the E30 will start up in the mode that was previously switched.

SpitFire

Just set volume to maximum. There's simply no difference between dac mode and pre mode with max volume.
Well, I thought about it too, but what are these two modes for then? As I understand it, so that a conflict with the amplifier is not provoked.
Unfortunately, I have no way to check whether this feature affects the quality or not. Is it really without a difference which mode?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Well, I thought about it too, but what are these two modes for then? As I understand it, so that a conflict with the amplifier is not provoked.
Unfortunately, I have no way to check whether this feature affects the quality or not. Is it really without a difference which mode?
Because people get angry if you don't provide DAC only mode.

giordy

is the filter and modulator baypass function also working with the pre mode? ..... or only with the dac mode?

giordy

I mean this function .....

Attachments

• Schermata 2020-08-12 alle 11.53.42.png
    Schermata 2020-08-12 alle 11.53.42.png
    641.6 KB · Views: 280

PenguinMusic

So this can be used as a DAC or as a DAC/preamp is that correct ?
If I get it right, if used as a DAC, there's no volume control, but if used as a pre it had volume control enabled ?

PenguinMusic

Yes it's correct
Cool,

I ordered one on Amazon.fr and it is on it's way.
So I can use it until the headphone amp partner is released here in Europe also...
I think I saw it had a great review from Amirn just today...

Regards.

PenguinMusic

however machine with a very good price / performance ratio ;)
I think that for 250€ you can have a more than decent DAC/Headphone amp combo from Topping.
So when the headphone amp is going to be available, I'll buy it also :)
And even so, great price/performance ratio I think...

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just set volume to maximum. There's simply no difference between dac mode and pre mode with max volume.
Ah, that's good to know, I always wondered to myself and thought why not design it so that there was no difference when running at max volume....and so is the case!

Hi all I've recently purchased the E30 based on amirm's great review. Received yesterday. Connected to my iMac via USB (apple 5v plus as power source). Hooked up to my JBL 305p via RCA to 1/4" TRS. Playing Spotify and Tidal desktop apps. Initially volume levels were quite low vs. direct from the headphone jack of my iMac. But I increased the volume knob on my JBLs from 7 to max 10. The usual JBL hiss increased but at least I get more volume headroom now. Should I adjust the input sensitivity on my JBL from -10 to +4db? I understand the default is for -10 for consumer decices. Worried I'd blow the drivers if I switch it to +4db for the E30.

Also I've read about the pooping noises - I get it when it's switching from 44.1Hz to higher quality on MQA tracks on Tidal. It's a bit noticable to the point of being irritating now that I've increased the volume to max on the JBL. The new firmware update solves this? My serial number shows 2006 shouldn't this ship with the latest firmware? If not I need to find a windows box to update the firmware.

Top Bottom