• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Aqui também tenho dois Topping. Um D10 e um DX3 Pro Ldac V.2 com sua fonte de alimentação P50. A cobertura parece ser mais organizada.
This is the third time I am doing an update, I have previously updated from 1.05 to 1.08 to 2.01 and now to 2.06. I never had any issues with any.
which version M500 do you have?

osasglo

Attachments

• M500.jpg
    M500.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 392

cecelo01

Postagem 1364
;)

Attachments

• 20200746.jpg
    20200746.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

Rafinn155555

Good morning friends, I am looking for a DAC / AMP and I have checked several options, the M500 and I have already checked all the thread and seen all its problems and that with the V2 several of them are solved. The fact is that I would use it for my PC, campaign games, YouTube, tidal.
The thing is, I don't know if the M500 or a combination of the M200 plus the Topping L30 is worth it. I don't know how good the ESS 9038 pro chip is for gaming or the AK 4497, I don't know which one is better for gaming, I know both are excellent for music. I hope your opinion and can help me decide which one to go. greetings: D

cecelo01

Firstly, the M500 had its problems solved from version 2.06. Excellent dac dsd mqa.

In short, the most dynamic Saber. AKM more resolutive.

k525

Good morning friends, I am looking for a DAC / AMP and I have checked several options, the M500 and I have already checked all the thread and seen all its problems and that with the V2 several of them are solved. The fact is that I would use it for my PC, campaign games, YouTube, tidal.
The thing is, I don't know if the M500 or a combination of the M200 plus the Topping L30 is worth it. I don't know how good the ESS 9038 pro chip is for gaming or the AK 4497, I don't know which one is better for gaming, I know both are excellent for music. I hope your opinion and can help me decide which one to go. greetings: D

Despite some issue with the firsts devices I find that M500 is a great DAC I really suggest it!!

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, I am having some problem and I wanted help with it. My setup seems to have some strange noises (explained below) and I wanted to understand what they were and how to resolve them.

My Setup: USB>SMSL M500 DAC>Balanced to THX 789 AMP>Balanced Headphone cord to the headphone.

Observation 1: Amp Off and and all electrical connections as well as Balanced ins from DAC unplugged--> Slight sound of a small whistle or low pitched hum comes and goes from the headphones when connected to the amp, especially when i bring the amp power pin close to the amp (but not inserted)

Observation 2: Amp power plugged in (no XLRs connected) and Amp Off--> the same high pitched hum comes and goes away...this time a bit more pronounced

Observation 3: Amp power in and XLRs from DAC connected, the same high pitched hum comes and goes away...continually.

Observation 4: Laptop USB connected to the chain without power to the laptop--> a constant cyclical sound like electrical ticks (several time a second) also appears and as soon as the Laptop PC is connected to power, this cyclical ticking sound goes away...but the High pitched hum remains.

Observation 5: When I turn on the Amp with XLRs connected---> the high pitched hum comes and goes as normal but this time it is very low in amplitude...hard to listen to but its there and gets louder and quieter.

Observation 6: With the DAC set to Toslink input, when i touch the Laptop USB and kinda touch it on the face plate of the USB Port, there is electrical sound from the Amp/DAC and the hum also gets acentuated telling me that that USB is not isolated from other inputs or may be not galvancally isolated in the DAC. Once I plug in the USB and connected to the DAC, the electrical ticking sound goes away but the hum sequence remains.

The above are my observations and I dont know how to solve them or whats causing them. Any help would be appreciated or else any guidance on the right forum/thread to seek help would also be appreciated.

Last edited:

Oklei

Forum Donor
Observation 1: Amp Off and and all electrical connections as well as Balanced ins from DAC unplugged--> Slight sound of a small whistle or low pitched hum comes and goes from the headphones when connected to the amp, especially when i bring the amp power pin close to the amp (but not inserted)
I had a similar problem with the m500. Completely solved it by grounding the DAC. Are all of your devices floating? XLR has a ground connection so you could also try to ground the amp. The hum went away completely.

Shoaibexpert

Completely solved it by grounding the DAC
Thanks. How do you do that for both M500 and the AMP but i am sure my wiring is not grounded or the Amp and DAC have a 2 wire power cable...pic below (excuse the mess and the 3 pin plugs...i live in the UAE and we have UK plugs here so need these for the US style cord ends!)? Is there an easy way? I donot want to buy expensive ipurifiers and stuff for this...Thanks
20200811_145522.jpg

Oklei

Forum Donor
Thanks. How do you do that for both M500 and the AMP but i am sure my wiring is not grounded or the Amp and DAC have a 2 wire power cable...pic below (excuse the mess and the 3 pin plugs...i live in the UAE and we have UK plugs here so need these for the US style cord ends!)? Is there an easy way? I donot want to buy expensive ipurifiers and stuff for this...Thanks
Do you have audio/video equipment with grounded chassis (3 wire connector)? If it has coax spdif out you can try to connect it to the dac spdif in. This should ground the DAC. The Amp will be automatically grounded via the XLR connection.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. How do you do that for both M500 and the AMP but i am sure my wiring is not grounded or the Amp and DAC have a 2 wire power cable...pic below (excuse the mess and the 3 pin plugs...i live in the UAE and we have UK plugs here so need these for the US style cord ends!)? Is there an easy way? I donot want to buy expensive ipurifiers and stuff for this...ThanksView attachment 77554

Not an electrician , not going to advise on safety grounding or component grounding. But I think the source of the noise you hear might be your laptop power brick. Or another power brick nearby- TV? etc etc Unplug it totally from power, unplug usb from the DAC and play music laptop on battery , or even better chromecast from a phone app into DAC.

Unplug as many other electrical components from the wall, one at a time, until the interference stops. Bear in mind it can take a few seconds for the bricks once unplugged to release all charge therefore noise.

Find the noisy culprit (unless of course its the DAC or amp brick) and move as far away from all the audio kit as possible .

I had a similar issue , sounds like the bad old days of mobile phones clicking and humming, but was coming from the laptop brick. Pretty sure the headphone cable can act as an antennae which migh explain why you hear something without anything plugged into mains

Like I say, I am the least tech person out there , but thats my experience.

Shoaibexpert

Do you have audio/video equipment with grounded chassis (3 wire connector)? If it has coax spdif out you can try to connect it to the dac spdif in. This should ground the DAC. The Amp will be automatically grounded via the XLR connection.
Thats a great idea, only my TV doesnt have any COAX out (see pic - its the one connect box from samsung) and only has optical out and the old style ANT IN and some 3.5mm Component ins/outs. I have PS4, Nvidia Sheild TV and the laptop itself close by. Can the ANT IN (I think its PAL in the pic) work like the COAX you mentioned? Coz i dont have a PAL ANT connector...

My further observations include that when i disconnect the DAC XLRs, the noise increases...when i touch the amp when off the noise goes down a bit...maybe something with the amp then?

Any other ideas...maybe something from the electrical wiring side? Thanks

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-08-11 161350.png
    Annotation 2020-08-11 161350.png
    519 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Shoaibexpert

Not an electrician , not going to advise on safety grounding or component grounding. But I think the source of the noise you hear might be your laptop power brick. Or another power brick nearby- TV? etc etc Unplug it totally from power, unplug usb from the DAC and play music laptop on battery , or even better chromecast from a phone app into DAC.

Unplug as many other electrical components from the wall, one at a time, until the interference stops. Bear in mind it can take a few seconds for the bricks once unplugged to release all charge therefore noise.

Find the noisy culprit (unless of course its the DAC or amp brick) and move as far away from all the audio kit as possible .

I had a similar issue , sounds like the bad old days of mobile phones clicking and humming, but was coming from the laptop brick. Pretty sure the headphone cable can act as an antennae which migh explain why you hear something without anything plugged into mains

Like I say, I am the least tech person out there , but thats my experience.
Thanks. I have two power bricks one for laptop another for THX amp. I did try what you suggested ie I unplugged the USB cable from the DAC and had it only connected to the CCA via optical. Still the hum remained...the clicking sound went away...which also went away when i turned on the Laptop - it was there with USB connected and the Laptop off without power connected.

Whats funny is i dont hear this with my Hifiman Arya when the amp is on...only with my HD800S...maybe something to do with the impedence or sensitivity of the headphones as both are used via manufacturer made balanced cable.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I did try this ie I unplugged the USB cable from the DAC and had it only connected to the CCA via optical. Still the hum remained...the clicking sound went away...which also went away when i turned on the Laptop - it was there with USB connected and the Laptop off without power connected.

Whats funny is i dont hear this with my Hifiman Arya when the amp is on...only with my HD800S...maybe something to do with the impedence or sensitivity of the headphones as both are used via manufacturer made balanced cable.

Probably- my Grados were the worst for it IIRC. When you say laptop off without power connected- you mean the power brick unplugged from wall, not just no power into laptop? May be multiple sources of interference then.

So the quitest set up in use is USB disconnected, chromecast optical to DAC? So this is a new issue then given youve said Chromecast in the past is the blackest background etc ? What have you changed - new kit or positioning?

Oklei

Forum Donor
@Shoaibexpert
Could you please try this to check if you're having the same problem I had.
Disconnect the M500 from everything except power cord and headphones. Switch the M500 off to standby with the remote. Are you now hearing a hum in your phones?

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm confused. Can't you just buy the correct type power cables and eliminate all those white converter boxes? Surely there exist UAE power cables that can plug right into your devices?

Shoaibexpert

Probably- my Grados were the worst for it IIRC. When you say laptop off without power connected- you mean the power brick unplugged from wall, not just no power into laptop? May be multiple sources of interference then.

So the quitest set up in use is USB disconnected, chromecast optical to DAC? So this is a new issue then given youve said Chromecast in the past is the blackest background etc ? What have you changed - new kit or positioning?
Its an amp and a DAC issue i think, as I have noted that both sources independently (the DAC quarter inch) and the AMP balanced both when not connected to anything except power still give the same noise with the DAC a little less loud.

Shoaibexpert

The noise was always there but used to become less noticeable when i turned on the amp. Ive recently added a passive filter to attenuate some of the 10K frequencies for my HD800S (its a bit bright there!). The filter sits between the HP cable balanced port and the AMP balanced port and this has resulted in a more accentuated electrical hum for some reason. Now, when i put the filter away, i still hear the noise now with the amp on.

Top Bottom