• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

NDC

Yes, all that's missing is the streamer bit. Lots of ways to do that, but something matching or built into the DAC would be neater.

I've got a Raspberry Pi 4 in FLIRC case sitting on top of my L30, E30 stack - Pi4 works really well as a streamer (using airplay; running RopieeeXL) as my bedside rig.
IMG_7946.jpg

Last edited:

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't mind such low input impedance as long as it is called in the official specs so those who care can consider pairing issues with their gear.
How would I know how much current some DAC can emit, or what is the symptom of insufficient current?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I've got a Raspberry Pi 4 in FLIRC case sitting on top of my L30, E30 stack - Pi4 works really well as a streamer (using airplay; running RopieeeXL) as my bedside rig.

So if you roll over and pull on the headphone cable, does it all tumble onto the floor? Right angle headphone plugs are dangerous for that.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sad how much more users with such headphones have to pay.
150 € for the topping L30, 500 € for the A90
You're kidding, right? Either A90 or L30 provide insanely good performance/price ratio. Speaking of A90: Such a performance was simply impossible to imagine, for 500€, only a year ago. Not to mention the L30 specs for 139€.o_O
But I imagine if you may afford 1600€ headphones, the A90 shouldn't be that expensive to you?;);)

NDC

So if you roll over and pull on the headphone cable, does it all tumble onto the floor? Right angle headphone plugs are dangerous for that.

Luckily for me, the headphone cable is long enough that I can roll over and that doesn’t happen - however - the Etymotics definitely aren’t the most comfortable IEMs to have in your ears if you’re lying sideways on a pillow, given their barrels stick out a bit even with deep insertion.

I can assure you my last sentence wasn’t a euphemism... it does seem rather amusing reading it back.

Sukie

Forum Donor
View attachment 77549
I always love a good coincidence. I've just placed an order for my first Raspberry Pi and have gone for the FLIRC case. I'll be using it with my existing D50s and Atom though, so I'm a bit off topic.

Reactions: NDC

fieldcar

I have an RPi 3 running OSMC and an RPi 4 running Volumio, but I mean something matching the Topping devices in appearance.
Just wait for aimpire to copy the E30, and then gut it for a raspberry pi. Simple.

In all seriousness, the flirc case is a great option, but I just found this on ebay. Not completely sure about it though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-A...ox-Protective-For-Raspberry-Pi-4/233391038397

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silverston...-4B-Wall-Mountable-Aluminum-Case/333649774505

I should do the bedside streamer since I've got a D10 and JDS Atom collecting dust.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
If you are getting the SP200 for XLR phone output or input, save your money and get L30. There is zero difference between TRS and XLR on my SP200. And SE input is better than XLR input according to SMSL tech. Verified with nearly 10 different phones I use.

An E30 / L30 makes M200 / SP200 look needlessly expensive ... unless you absolutely need Bluetooth and "Sound Color" modes.[/QUO

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Just wait for aimpire to copy the E30, and then gut it for a raspberry pi. Simple.

In all seriousness, the flirc case is a great option, but I just found this on ebay. Not completely sure about it though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-A...ox-Protective-For-Raspberry-Pi-4/233391038397

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silverston...-4B-Wall-Mountable-Aluminum-Case/333649774505

I should do the bedside streamer since I've got a D10 and JDS Atom collecting dust.
I bought my RPi 4 from PiMoroni with this <https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/aluminium-heatsink-case-for-raspberry-pi-4?variant=29430673178707> Not perfect but it reduces the CPU temp by ~15° C and covers most of it.

The problem with using an RPi is that you have cables sticking out of more than one side, so it will never be as neat as a device with everything on the back (except the headphone socket of course).

FooYatChong

Very happy with the Argon One Aluminum Case. Case routes all connections to the back, has a power button and is passively cooled.
It has a fan but it never turns on. Pi CPU temp usually between 35 and 40°C, fan kicks in at 65°C.

cover-5.png

Top Bottom