• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I disassembled my Genelec 8351B

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The best part of 8351B is natural sound.

I heard recently a few same price range monitors.
Barefoot MM27,26, Kii Audio Kii 3.

Each speakers are great indeed. They all have very detailed sound as you expect. But the point I focus is unexaggerated sound charactor.

At some points other speakers may sound greater than 8351B. For example kii 3 is tight and accurate by dsp phase correction and barefoot has powerful sub bass that can generate down to 20hz.
As overall sound, I think 8351B has more natural realistic sound.

8341A is also good speaker. But if you listen at 3m from the speakers, 8341A may lack the max output level especially in bass range not using subwoofer.

And I have heard 8250 though not 8350.
Compared to 8250, 8351B has more openness ,wide sound image and detailed transient.

My signal path is simple.
Macbook - RME ADI2 Pro FS - digital or analog output - 8351B, 7370A.
Between Digital and Analog output I cound feel only a little difference. Logically I think digital output has more advantage for dsp speakers. Unless you need any analog coloration.

I think Genelec is 10 years ahead than other.
8351B will satisfy you more than 5 years.
Thank you very much for your feedback!! Wow, and you thought they are better than the Kii... I think I’ll have to invest in a white pair just like yours... :)

Did you ever hear the 8361A’s?

Last edited:
OP
J

js_k0914

Thank you very much for your feedback!! Wow, and you thought they are better than the Kii... I think I’ll have to invest in a white pair just like yours... :)

I'm glad to hear that.
Also I have heard 8361A too.

8351B and 8361A have similar bass extention. But 8361A's bass sounds more deep than 8351B. I think it's because of the lower THD of 8361A. As you know, for precise and REAL deep bass response low harmonic distortion is very important. But I have a 7370A subwoofer, so I don't need that size of woofer.

But If you need higher Max SPL, and powerful deep bass, 8361A is suite for you.

Ps. Kii and Grimm that I experienced sound a little exaggerated mid-treble. At the first, that gave me positive impression, but soon I felt it's not natural. In the electronic and pop genres they will give positive impression.
But after all, it's only IMHO.

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I'm glad to hear that.
Also I have heard 8361A too.

8351B and 8361A have similar bass extention. But 8361A's bass sounds more deep than 8351B. I think it's because of the lower THD of 8361A. As you know, for precise and REAL deep bass response low harmonic distortion is very important. But I have a 7370A subwoofer, so I don't need that size of woofer.

But If you need higher Max SPL, and powerful deep bass, 8361A is suite for you.
How do you like your 7370A, by the way?

OP
J

js_k0914

How do you like your 7370A, by the way?

First of all, I tried dual 7350A.
Then I thought, any kind of sub, I will not expect something in small boxed small inch subwoofer.
I have also 10 inch DIY sub. It did more good job than dual 8 inch sub. 7350A has a little high 3rd harmonic distortion and low max output level.
Though 7350A was it, at some points I found the DIY 10 inch sub sounds somthing blurred than 7350A dual. At low output level, 7350A will do great!

And finally 7370A, there are no turbulence noise, higher max level, low distortion, no compressed or stiff sound and down to 16hz in room!
8351B and 7370A are really great system.
The only my further dream is W371A..

Hephaestus

This question was not for me but I thought I could chime in as an owner of 8361A and 8341A.

8341A and 8351B were impossible to distinguish in the nearfield but a little further away 8351B takes the lead due to higher SPL capacity and lower distortion.

8361 plays effortlessly in the midfield role even with bass heavy material and high SPL.

I have 8341A in my office and 8361A in the main setup.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
This question was not for me but I thought I could chime in as an owner of 8361A and 8341A.

8341A and 8351B were impossible to distinguish in the nearfield but a little further away 8351B takes the lead due to higher SPL capacity and lower distortion.

8361 plays effortlessly in the midfield role even with bass heavy material and high SPL.

Thank you for your feedback!!

Yes, I’m also considering the 8361... But the budget is getting to a point I’ve never been before... Makes me a little uncomfortable... lol. My dream Gen’s would be the 8361A’s. I’m not planning on having subs to complement the system. So the 50 or 60 sizes are on the table. 50 seems more reasonable for now... If I could get away with the 40’s I’d prefer, but I feel they might not be optimal at 3 meters from the listening position...

Senior NEET Engineer

What distance and SPL do you consider to be mid field role? I'm currently using 8341A from 7 ft away in 3000 cu ft room. Looking at their "direct sound dominance" graph, it's at the mid point in the room where direct and reflected sound is equal. Curious what kind of improvements I could get by upgrading to 8351B or 8361A. I use subwoofer with 80hz crossover.

Hephaestus

What distance and SPL do you consider to be mid field role? I'm currently using 8341A from 7 ft away in 3000 cu ft room. Looking at their "direct sound dominance" graph, it's at the mid point in the room where direct and reflected sound is equal. Curious what kind of improvements I could get by upgrading to 8351B or 8361A. I use subwoofer with 80hz crossover.

The room is 100 cubic meters and listening distance about 2.5 meters. SPL wise I try to keep good care of my hearing and stay tad below 80db (Z-weighting).

I did comparison between 8361 and 8341 in my main system. This is very unscientific comparison. 8361 sounds "bigger" and more effortless.
In your case 8341 + sub is still within its comfort zone. I dont see any reason to upgrade.

bricksie

First of all, I tried dual 7350A.
Then I thought, any kind of sub, I will not expect something in small boxed small inch subwoofer.
I have also 10 inch DIY sub. It did more good job than dual 8 inch sub. 7350A has a little high 3rd harmonic distortion and low max output level.
Though 7350A was it, at some points I found the DIY 10 inch sub sounds somthing blurred than 7350A dual. At low output level, 7350A will do great!

And finally 7370A, there are no turbulence noise, higher max level, low distortion, no compressed or stiff sound and down to 16hz in room!
8351B and 7370A are really great system.
The only my further dream is W371A..

How did you integrate your DIY sub with the Genelec monitors?

I also have a DIY 10" sub and may be purchasing Genelecs in the near-future. I have an RME ADI2 DAC, and I was going to run the sub from the SE outputs and Genelecs from the balanced outputs, and somehow use GLM to create a highpass to the Genelecs and implement the lowpass on the sub itself, but going through the GLM manual I don't see a way to implement a highpass filter with a non-Genelec sub. I don't want to start using MiniDSP boxes to implement crossovers.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Something's wrong, I couldn't find the spider's nest, LOL.

hege

Forum Donor
going through the GLM manual I don't see a way to implement a highpass filter with a non-Genelec sub

Just play with the software. In speaker setup you can find the highpass option (bass management or subwoofer crossover filter, don't remember exact term), selectable between 50-100hz. It has really nothing to do with "non-Genelec subs" or any subs for that matter, it's just setting individual speaker settings. It will warn that you don't have a sub when you set highpass without one, you can ignore it.

bricksie

Just play with the software. In speaker setup you can find the highpass option (bass management or subwoofer crossover filter, don't remember exact term), selectable between 50-100hz. It has really nothing to do with "non-Genelec subs" or any subs for that matter, it's just setting individual speaker settings. It will warn that you don't have a sub when you set highpass without one, you can ignore it.

Thanks hege - i'll go through the manual again and see what can be done. If I'm using a sub, there's no reason to run the monitors full range.

OP
J

js_k0914

How did you integrate your DIY sub with the Genelec monitors?

I also have a DIY 10" sub and may be purchasing Genelecs in the near-future. I have an RME ADI2 DAC, and I was going to run the sub from the SE outputs and Genelecs from the balanced outputs, and somehow use GLM to create a highpass to the Genelecs and implement the lowpass on the sub itself, but going through the GLM manual I don't see a way to implement a highpass filter with a non-Genelec sub. I don't want to start using MiniDSP boxes to implement crossovers.

In GLM software, choose AES/EBU option and you will find the bass management crossover setting.
But if you use analog output, you need Genelec Subwoofer to set highpass filter.

bricksie

In GLM software, choose AES/EBU option and you will find the bass management crossover setting.
But if you use analog output, you need Genelec Subwoofer to set highpass filter.

Thanks js_k0914 - I currently plan on using analogue, so that's going to throw a wrinkle into things...

I had another look at the manual, and it looks like my only option would be to use the low frequency shelving filters if I use the analogue inputs.

Last edited:

soundwave76

Forum Donor
I got a demo pair of Genelec 1032C today. I plan to compare them to my 8340 and 8331. Stay tuned...

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Question to all owning Genelec’s or powered pro monitors. Have any of you considered PSI monitors? I’m now curious about them... I like their analog only approach which I feel would be more optimal in a system with a high performance DAC at the center. Like the D90 I have now and the Dac8 Stereo I’ve ordered...

Any feedback or experience with PSI monitors would be greatly appreciated. :)

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Thank you @js_k0914 and @Hephaestus for your subjective listening feedback shared regarding the Gen Ones. I just ordered a pair of 8351B in white for my main system. Not a small investment, but if it stops the upgrade frenzy for more than 3 years, it will be money well spent.

hege

Forum Donor

No this is not true.

Thanks js_k0914 - I currently plan on using analogue, so that's going to throw a wrinkle into things...

I had another look at the manual, and it looks like my only option would be to use the low frequency shelving filters if I use the analogue inputs.

I tried with my 1032C, started GLM, added a new group, changed it to analog, and then click individual speaker, you will find "Bass Management Filter" setting there.

I really doubt this depends on model - why would they limit the setting since the DSP is fed digitized signal even from analog input.

Top Bottom