• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for an IEM that benefits from amping

shinewu

I normally use my favorite Hifiman Sundara and occasionally Sennheiser HD 5XX. But lately I have to share my space with someone else. And I normally use either Etymotic ER3SE or MeeAudio Pinnacle P1. The etys are slightly on the dark side, but still maintains an even manner. The P1 is more fun and a bit boomy at times. I am considering getting another IEM that can benefit from my amps.

1) TRI I3, has a planar driver for the mids. Reviews are generally positive, and it is also laidback, which I consider a plus since I will wear them for long.
2) Audiosense T800 with 8 BAs. It is said to be super detailed and still punchy and fun. But from reviews, it is in general slightly brighter.
3) Mangird Tea: this one just goes on Drop, reviews look perfect, but maybe just hype?

I hope folks with first hand experience can help me decide here. Or maybe something else in the $150-$300 range? I am not considering ER4SR because it is probably very close to the sound of ER3SE.

OP
S

shinewu

I kind of knew you would say this. I heard ER2 series sounds very differently from ER3/4. Seems like you like it?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I kind of knew you would say this. I heard ER2 series sounds very differently from ER3/4. Seems like you like it?
Closer to er4 than er3. But with less distortion. And it's cheap. Doesn't hurt getting one.
DT200 from audiosense is pretty good. I discovered it recently.
Moondrop Starfield is good also. SSR is also pretty good with very accurate sound.

Just stick with best sounding IEMs. Don't be trapped by amps.

OP
S

shinewu

Wow, I think DT200 is like a more relaxed T800. It is also a good choice. All your recommendations are kind of <=$200. I am curious if you have some higher end choices to share with me, like some in the $500-1000 range?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Wow, I think DT200 is like a more relaxed T800. It is also a good choice. All your recommendations are kind of <=$200. I am curious if you have some higher end choices to share with me, like some in the $500-1000 range?
Price doesn't tell anything. But if you are after higher priced models, (maybe not 500-1000), Moondrop Solis is great, S8 is great. Also for higher range I kinda prefer overears like Ananda which is one of the best at any price that you can buy.

Tircuit

Forum Donor
I’m really happy with the Final e5000
Great sound straight from iPhone and slightly better with Atom amping and they’ve lasted me over a year now with no issues.

OP
S

shinewu

Price doesn't tell anything. But if you are after higher priced models, (maybe not 500-1000), Moondrop Solis is great, S8 is great. Also for higher range I kinda prefer overears like Ananda which is one of the best at any price that you can buy.

I will probably get Ananda or Arya down the road. But not now, I want to maximize my enjoyment with Sundara.

Solis looks very interesting, and s8 is a legend even in today's 10+ BA drivers IEM world. Thanks for the information.

OP
S

shinewu

I’m really happy with the Final e5000
Great sound straight from iPhone and slightly better with Atom amping and they’ve lasted me over a year now with no issues.

Yeah I heard a lot of great things of Final e5k. But for the price, the performance may not be as impressive?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I will probably get Ananda or Arya down the road. But not now, I want to maximize my enjoyment with Sundara.

Solis looks very interesting, and s8 is a legend even in today's 10+ BA drivers IEM world. Thanks for the information.
When you do upgrade headphones don't buy the arya. Only the Ananda is great. Possibly he6s but I haven't heard it yet.

OP
S

shinewu

When you do upgrade headphones don't buy the arya. Only the Ananda is great. Possibly he6s but I haven't heard it yet.

Yeah, I will definitely give it a try later. Its going price is only $700.

zenki

Depends on which side you are, bright/dark.

TRI I3 has lot of hype but I don't trust the FR.
T800 can be too bright for some people

Maybe you can wait for tin P2? (supposed to be planar)
or AQ7 coming soon?

OP
S

shinewu

Depends on which side you are, bright/dark.

TRI I3 has lot of hype but I don't trust the FR.
T800 can be too bright for some people

Maybe you can wait for tin P2? (supposed to be planar)
or AQ7 coming soon?

Thanks! AQ7 is already out, I like the looks, but I don't like the price. :) At $500, it stops being very competitive. But I understand as a business, they can't always wow people with very high performance/$$$.

Wortifer

Forum Donor
Closer to er4 than er3. But with less distortion. And it's cheap. Doesn't hurt getting one.
DT200 from audiosense is pretty good. I discovered it recently.
Moondrop Starfield is good also. SSR is also pretty good with very accurate sound.

Just stick with best sounding IEMs. Don't be trapped by amps.

@JohnYang1997 I noticed in https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...l-ever-sound-better-on-better-speakers.14945/ that you are also a fan of metal. I have never had/used IEM before and would greatly appreciate any advice you could give. I was looking at getting Fiio FH7's as I have heard from a few that they are good for metal, however I fell upon both of these threads and figured I could use some advice from an expert. Out of the Starfield/DT200/ER2/FH7 or any others, what would you recommend for death/thrash/black metal?

How do you like the Ananda for metal?

Sorry OP for sidetracking.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@JohnYang1997 I noticed in https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...l-ever-sound-better-on-better-speakers.14945/ that you are also a fan of metal. I have never had/used IEM before and would greatly appreciate any advice you could give. I was looking at getting Fiio FH7's as I have heard from a few that they are good for metal, however I fell upon both of these threads and figured I could use some advice from an expert. Out of the Starfield/DT200/ER2/FH7 or any others, what would you recommend for death/thrash/black metal?

How do you like the Ananda for metal?

Sorry OP for sidetracking.
That really depends on what you want. I like dt200 and er4se very much, even more so with Ananda overall. If you want punchy and wide bass that renders the atmosphere dt200 is a no brainer(still accurate in the mid to high and remember to use foam tips). If you want something clean, deep, fast, clear, forward er2se is the best bet(stock foam tips are great). Starfield has more bass and a bit dark it's not as competitive really but still better than majority of offerings on the market. Ananda is almost perfect in every way. It's a little bit less forward in the vocal and sounds a little bit soft(not an issue). But it's miles better than many things including focal clear.

Wortifer

Forum Donor
That really depends on what you want. I like dt200 and er4se very much, even more so with Ananda overall. If you want punchy and wide bass that renders the atmosphere dt200 is a no brainer(still accurate in the mid to high and remember to use foam tips). If you want something clean, deep, fast, clear, forward er2se is the best bet(stock foam tips are great). Starfield has more bass and a bit dark it's not as competitive really but still better than majority of offerings on the market. Ananda is almost perfect in every way. It's a little bit less forward in the vocal and sounds a little bit soft(not an issue). But it's miles better than many things including focal clear.
Awesome, thanks for the info! Ive always been a little reserved towards IEM's dont know why. At the price I can try them to see what I like. Its always crazy to me how many great gears are resonably priced with all the expensive stuff out there. Exactly why ASR is so valuable and with with great folks around makes it an invaluable resource.

OP
S

shinewu

Have to chime in on this. Ety IEMs do have a few things not so great:

0) If you have to put on and off the IEMs very often, they are definitely not for you. But in an office, you may have to. I highly recommend KOSS PortaPro for this use case. You just slide them onto your neck and start talking.
1) Cables are a bit less satisfying. Functional, but feel flimsy. ER4 might fare better, but 2/3 probably need some upgrade.
2) Filters must be replaced every a few months. They are actually not very cheap, especially when compared with the price of ER2.
3) I can't use the stock tri or bi flange tips. But this is just me.

If neutral and relaxed sound is what you are looking for, it is hard to beat them with foam tips. The performance/price is just amazing.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Have to chime in on this. Ety IEMs do have a few things not so great:

0) If you have to put on and off the IEMs very often, they are definitely not for you. But in an office, you may have to. I highly recommend KOSS PortaPro for this use case. You just slide them onto your neck and start talking.
1) Cables are a bit less satisfying. Functional, but feel flimsy. ER4 might fare better, but 2/3 probably need some upgrade.
2) Filters must be replaced every a few months. They are actually not very cheap, especially when compared with the price of ER2.
3) I can't use the stock tri or bi flange tips. But this is just me.

If neutral and relaxed sound is what you are looking for, it is hard to beat them with foam tips. The performance/price is just amazing.
What I can relate is the 0). And it's not that bad with foam tip. Much easier than tri/biflange tips. The rest, they don't necessarily reflect my experience.
I have not changed filter once and it's still very good no blockage or gunk. Cable is alright if you use the clip.

Top Bottom