• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

gvl

Major Contributor
Absolutely it's low. Too low and simply shifts the onus to the source which in my opinion is a cop out. Great product, but way too low input impedance for any type of amplifier, be it pre/main or HP.

There are plenty of other sources other than just a DAC, something the kids these days seem to forget.

I don't mind such low input impedance as long as it is called in the official specs so those who care can consider pairing issues with their gear. The fact it is not listed is a bit shady.

elnan14

Give us the same low impedance as my first non-LDAC version, slighty more power for 300/600 ohms headphones, better 50mV performance for IEMs and retaining the fantastic 3.5 mm output + another 6.35 one for headphones (much more convenient duality instead of using adapters). No need for balanced connections, just a truly SE endgame in an AIO form. ;)
@JohnYang1997 Make it happen and you would be my (and many others') hero. :D

An all-in-one "budget-friendly" solution with the combined stellar performance of both the E30 and L30 plus bluetooth (the successor of the DX3 Pro, basically) would be an absolutely killer device. My wallet is ready, @JohnYang1997.

bequietjk

1597122620417.png

This L30 thing is insane

charlesluo

Reality is, I've got a Schiit Magni 3, works fine. Wonder if there is an audible difference. Just listened to some YouTube videos via the Magni hooked into an ACER Aspire 5. Suspect the Topping would sound the same playing back Lady Gaga or Gustav Mahler.

The improvement is very obvious, even to my tinnitus ears.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
@JohnYang1997

Apologize if I missed it, but will the Power Amps be classic AB? Or D? Or?

If AB, please include a pot idle current adjustment - a nice feature (like the L30 output switch) that lets us tweak it high for those who 'listen low' and lower for those that 'listen high'..

Might be nice to put a few $$ into faster outputs than typical and save it back on aluminum and size..

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@JohnYang1997

Apologize if I missed it, but will the Power Amps be classic AB? Or D? Or?

If AB, please include a pot idle current adjustment - a nice feature (like the L30 output switch) that lets us tweak it high for those who 'listen low' and lower for those that 'listen high'..

Might be nice to put a few $$ into faster outputs than typical and save it back on aluminum and size..
AB.
Only gain switch, no idle current adjustment.
What's faster outputs?
Lower end model will have the same size as D90 and pre90.

FadedIntent

Hey! The people who need more gain, here's the solution with +18dB gain! 300mW at 300Ohm!
index.php
Wow, those are beautiful! Any timeline on when these alternate color models would be released and if there will be a matching E30 color variant to go along with them?

nj75f

Looks like a very good product. Thanks for the tests from amirm, wolf and co.

Would buy this device if ... but power seems not enough for the hedd heddphone (or similar power hungry headphones) to drive them to the max. :D
Sad how much more users with such headphones have to pay.
150 € for the topping L30, 500 € for the A90.
:(

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I can't speak for the M500 ... that's grossly diminishing returns territory for me.

The E30 is really a stellar product, like a 0 ohm resistor .... totally out of the way .... totally transparent. From purely a DAC standpoint, it will run neck and neck with M500 IMO.

E30 and L30 are cutting edge devices. $260 for a DAC / amp of this performance level is amazing IMO. THX amps alone were going for $400 last year! L30 is throwing up THX numbers at $130 .... lol .... great times for consumers looking for this stuff.
Yes, all that's missing is the streamer bit. Lots of ways to do that, but something matching or built into the DAC would be neater.

Top Bottom