• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So, just saw this on Facebook from Shenzhenaudio, SMSL SU-9, I can't keep up!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
frogmeat69

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Notice if you click through there is a matching SH9 amp pictured too. Nice looking stack! Got to think $200 each.

The SU-8 still goes for $250 on Amazon, $210 on Drop, so I thought closer to $300, still $100 less than the M500, it's main competitor for a DAC with MQA.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The SU-8 still goes for $250 on Amazon, $210 on Drop, so I thought closer to $300, still $100 less than the M500, it's main competitor for a DAC with MQA.

True . And I dont understand their naming convention/ product lines at all.

OP
frogmeat69

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
This also seems to compete with the M300 MKII - a balanced DAC around $250.
That's what I don't get, they seem to compete with themselves more than other companies like Topping.
At least there are lots of choices that are of good quality and decently priced.
I hope @amirm gets one to measure.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's what I don't get, they seem to compete with themselves more than other companies like Topping.
At least there are lots of choices that are of good quality and decently priced.
I hope @amirm gets one to measure.
Yeah great for us consumers - my best guess is that they are differentiating on form factor rather than features and price, and trying to corner the market on budget balanced DACs. I also imagine we will see a matching balanced amp to stack with this in the near future.

LearningToSmile

It does fix the biggest issues with SU-8(for me) - it's got a volume knob for easier use with powered monitors, and most importantly - it comes in black.

As for competing with themselves, I think they key differentiating factor for the whole SU-8 & co product line was that you could have neat matching DAC, headphone amp, and power amp stack - I can see the appeal of that, I did consider it myself briefly. So if they come up with a matching DA-9 speaker amp(since SH-9 is already announced), I can understand the point of why they would make this.

Sak

Again renders instead of real photos..

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah great for us consumers - my best guess is that they are differentiating on form factor rather than features and price, and trying to corner the market on budget balanced DACs. I also imagine we will see a matching balanced amp to stack with this in the near future.
There is a HP amp (SH9) in the picture reel- so definitely aiming for a stack. I wonder if they are giving up on the wonky SP form factor already and back to good old rounded off boxes.

OP
frogmeat69

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
Just noticed another post from Shenzen Audio, claims the SU-9 will have the ESS9038 Pro chip, MQA and blue tooth. M500 wants to know what it did to deserve this, lol.

DeepSpace57

Just noticed another post from Shenzen Audio, claims the SU-9 will have the ESS9038 Pro chip, MQA and blue tooth. M500 wants to know what it did to deserve this, lol.

wonderful news! I hope it will better perform than Sabaj D5, and cheaper as well. I believe it costs around 300 usd

Tachyon88

Oooh, I think I will sell my su-8 for this if the price isn't too different.. I like how the PSU is within the unit and its black.

typericey

Now that Chi-Fi brands have reached SOTA performance for DACs (i.e. 120 dB SINAD, etc.) The next step forward for them is to offer this SOTA performance at a lower price point. Which is what I think they're doing with the SU-9. It's already happening with Chi-Fi headphone amps. I wont be surprised if we see $99 DACs meeting or beating the D90/M400 performance by 2022.

Let's hope I'm right, so that we all win.

On MQA, while most of us hate it, I'm guessing millions of audiophiles do want them. So might be good to have them in your DAC for better resale value and "resellability" if that makes sense.

OP
frogmeat69

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
Now that Chi-Fi brands have reached SOTA performance for DACs (i.e. 120 dB SINAD, etc.) The next step forward for them is to offer this SOTA performance at a lower price point. Which is what I think they're doing with the SU-9. It's already happening with Chi-Fi headphone amps. I wont be surprised if we see $99 DACs meeting or beating the D90/M400 performance by 2022.

Let's hope I'm right, so that we all win.

On MQA, while most of us hate it, I'm guessing millions of audiophiles do want them. So might be good to have them in your DAC for better resale value and "resellability" if that makes sense.
I'll take the MQA if it's included without the extra cost, plus I have a Tidal subscription, so, why not , right?

OP
frogmeat69

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
Top Bottom