• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

raif71

Major Contributor
Yes orange display adds a nice warmth to the sound. Silver box have a bit sparkle up top. I think it might work well with silver plated cables. Added usb cables are poor quality. I'd say you need to spend couple hundred box for proper cables but totally worth it. Also there is a hi res audio sticker on top. If you remove it sound quality takes a big hit.
e30.png Here, knock yourselves out with these Hi-Res stickers....now the dac sounds like something you've never heard before :p

mlilliman

i like F3 or F4, can’t decide. F1 sounds very detailed and all but a bit unnaturally sharp and there is no decay or “air/space” in certain songs when you are pretty sure there should be, and because it’s absent when using filter 1, i find the impression that reminds me of when you have subwoofers that are out of phase with each other or with the main speakers and there is a serious null / cancellation of bass and you’re instantly thinking, well that isn’t right...

I'm not sure I can reliably tell the difference between the filters, but I do seem to prefer slow filters over the sharp ones. I know from the testing that this creates spurious (ultra) high frequency noise, but obviously this can't be heard. Whether that creates any wear on the speakers, I'd not given that any consideration before. Hopefully, the crossover design takes care of that.

F4 is my goto filter when using Spotify Connect with 320kps/16 bit rate.

raif71

Major Contributor
Holy sht i can hear fourth and fifth dimension just looking at the picture. It bends the space and time.
You just reminded me to check out the new star trek "picard" series. Was on and off my mind but the dimension/space/time bit there gave me a jolt. Tq :)

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Don’t bother
Au contraire. A plot far more subtle than Star Trek of old, spread throughout the season in an episodic manner. We learn far more about the protagonists than is typical within Star Trek and get a fascinating insight into the political nature of Romulan society and Picard's attachment to its people. If you want the “Kiss Kiss Bang Bang” Star Trek of the 1990s you may not like it but real fans who desire more insight into the apparently idyllic existence of Earth humans in the Star Trek universe are likely to lap it up.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Au contraire. A plot far more subtle than Star Trek of old, spread throughout the season in an episodic manner. We learn far more about the protagonists than is typical within Star Trek and get a fascinating insight into the political nature of Romulan society and Picard's attachment to its people.

An awfullplot full of holes, complete bullshit technology stuff (not that everything from Next Gen is actually possible.. at least it doesn’t feel like magic), a federation that it totally unrecognizable, ran by rude, cursing women.. political correctness is very obvious and very distracting. The characters are terrible, Picard is made to be a fool many times.. need I start about the Legolas lookalike?:facepalm:

If you want the “Kiss Kiss Bang Bang” Star Trek of the 1990s you may not like it but real fans who desire more insight into the apparently idyllic existence of Earth humans in the Star Trek universe are likely to lap it up.

No, they dit not.. by any objective measures the series did very badly! I bet you like STD as well then :rolleyes:.. time crystals anyone?

anyway.. back on topic!

Last edited:

Pluto

Forum Donor
It's only a bit of diversionary lockdown fun, not a philosophy for human existence. Don't get too worked up about it ;)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's only a bit of diversionary lockdown fun, not a philosophy for human existence. Don't get too worked up about it ;)

Don’t worry.. I’m not loosing money on it :cool:

Pluto

Forum Donor
It would be nice if we could get back to discussing the E30. Just sayin'.
I have to ask, but just how much more about the E30 remains to be said that isn't going over the same old ground ad nauseam?

Kouioui

Forum Donor
It would be nice if we could get back to discussing the E30. Just sayin'.
My contribution for E30 owners such as myself, is not to use dirty USB power from a PC and switch to a phone charger or the like if you're using powered studio monitors. Tried both and there's a huge difference in noise floor thru the speakers once I switched.

kndy-

Well, here's something not off-topic:

I recently acquired new speakers and a new amp.

So my installation is : PC (Creative X-Fi titanium soundcard) ==> RCA ==> Cyrus One feeding my Monitor Audio Silver 100.
I also have a gaming Sennheiser headphones plugged to my soundcard.

First, would this DAC be a good step-up over my X-Fi?

Second, when I push the volume above ~50% of my amp, I get a really annoying noise, audible both through my speakers and my headphones while plugged to my amp.
It came with a UK plug, so I had to buy an adapter (French here). This noise is only present when I select the PC source, not Bluetooth. Do you think it comes from my soundcard?

Zek

Major Contributor
PC is very noisy source, because of low quality PSU in it.

dpippel

I have to ask, but just how much more about the E30 remains to be said that isn't going over the same old ground ad nauseam?

I'd say that this has nothing at all to do with justifying a string of off-topic posts. ;)

samsa

My contribution for E30 owners such as myself, is not to use dirty USB power from a PC and switch to a phone charger or the like if you're using powered studio monitors. Tried both and themere's a huge difference in noise floor thru the speakers once I switched.

Sounds very plausible ... except that @amirm actually measured this in his initial review. You did read that, didn't you?

Top Bottom