• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Akg k702 really a power hungry headphone ??

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Ok thx I will get it and try with my Mb but I will for good sale. Or do you another recommendation in this price range

For gaming the K702 is a good option, maybe better than K712.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think they are the same or with little EQ'ing the price difference because the cost to get made in solvika instead of China and the pads difference
And budget are tight so K702 will be better option
But my concern the amping . Can it sound good with modern onboard audio especially power. The dac is clean even with gpu load
I've got an MSI Z170A Krait Gaming motherboard and it sounds terrible driving my AKG K702....very muddy sound, I really didn't expect it to be that bad, almost sounds faulty. Yeah, so I've always used USB DACS instead. They are indeed good headphones for gaming.

OP
Y

Youssef atta

What is your audio chip it's Alc1220 or 1150
And do you use amp or just a dac
Because my Mb dac sound clean with my Ksc75
But I was afraid about how much power it need and can Mb push it to listenable volume

solderdude

Grand Contributor
K7XX vs K702 (with K712 pads) and K712. So different model numbers, looking different in color but using the same pads.
k712-bn-vs-k7xx-gn-vs-702-with-7xx-pads-pu.png

It would appear that tonally these are close but not exactly the same. There seem to be differences between the drivers as well.
More info in the K702, K712 and K7XX pages.

3125b

Major Contributor
Take it for what it‘s worth (sample size of one, so not much probably), but my K702 died today. Had them not even two month, only stationary use, never fell down or anything, right side quit working. Not much of a problem if you buy them where you can get them warrantied easily (my replacement is already underway), but I‘m putting them (and similar models) on my „do not import“-list.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Yes, that's a measurement error due to the lack of Pinna.
When you fill the trench it sounds very wrong. No filling is needed.
What is kind of valid though is that the measurements are comparable between each other (same pads) and the differences between the 3 models is real.

Indeed it is just a sample size of 1. My experience though is that the difference between K712 and K7XX is on the big side of unit-to-unit variations/tolerances.
To really know you would have to buy quite a few samples of different production runs... who does that ?

That will also be one of the comments @amirm will be receiving when he plunges in the headphone measurement misery.
Words like 'cherry picked' and but this or that one sounds different or but oratory or Rtings measures differently.

It is what it is. 3 measurements made on a 'home calibrated' flatplate of 3 'run-in' headphones.
That will be another remark.. was it new because my ..... sounded much better after .... hours.
These are all used.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is your audio chip it's Alc1220 or 1150
And do you use amp or just a dac
Because my Mb dac sound clean with my Ksc75
But I was afraid about how much power it need and can Mb push it to listenable volume
Realtek® ALC1150 Codec
Take it for what it‘s worth (sample size of one, so not much probably), but my K702 died today. Had them not even two month, only stationary use, never fell down or anything, right side quit working. Not much of a problem if you buy them where you can get them warrantied easily (my replacement is already underway), but I‘m putting them (and similar models) on my „do not import“-list.
Oh yeah, definitely, I've resoldered the wires in my right earcup 3 times already - at this point I have completely replaced all wiring & solder points in the right earcup so I'm not expecting it to fail again. This is a proper thing with the K702, you should be happy with a soldering iron if you're gonna buy them......although I taught myself with YouTube vids specifically when my K702 died the first time, so I had no experience, but I am persistent & technically minded, so not everyone will get the same result if you don't know how to solder.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Do you mean the wires connecting to the rods ?
I have had quite a few Superlux 'AKG copies' with the same issues.
Chalked it down to cheap labour force not giving a crap about good solder joints or having the wrong soldering equipment.

I wonder if the older Austrian made ones also have these issues.

OP
Y

Youssef atta

Realtek® ALC1150 Codec

Oh yeah, definitely, I've resoldered the wires in my right earcup 3 times already - at this point I have completely replaced all wiring & solder points in the right earcup so I'm not expecting it to fail again. This is a proper thing with the K702, you should be happy with a soldering iron if you're gonna buy them......although I taught myself with YouTube vids specifically when my K702 died the first time, so I had no experience, but I am persistent & technically minded, so not everyone will get the same result if you don't know how to solder.
What headphones amp do use with it

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Y

Youssef atta

Anyone tried both akg k702 and K612 pro.
I saw alot prefer K612 and it also a little cheaper

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, tried/measured them both.
non angled pads different color.
More of the same really. The K612 was more 'neutral' to me than the K701/K702.
A little on the bass-shy side (like K701/K702)
Slightly less efficient than K702 and slightly less 'forward/open' sounding.
K612 vs K702

k702-vs-k612.png

I suspect the differences between these 2 are caused by the difference in pads (angled versus not angled) but same foam material used.

3125b

Major Contributor
And it's got a fixed cable, wich might or might not be a problem you'll have to fix in the long run ... if everything else lasts that long, that is.

This is a proper thing with the K702, you should be happy with a soldering iron if you're gonna buy them.
I'm sure as hell not gonna repair it myself as long as it's in warranty, plus after the second failed attempt at repair/replacement (so if the third headphone fails within two years of purchase) I'm getting my money back from the seller. The German consumer protection laws are fairly good.
Let Amazon worry about that. I've never had a problem with returns there.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And it's got a fixed cable, wich might or might not be a problem you'll have to fix in the long run ... if everything else lasts that long, that is.

I'm sure as hell not gonna repair it myself as long as it's in warranty, plus after the second failed attempt at repair/replacement (so if the third headphone fails within two years of purchase) I'm getting my money back from the seller. The German consumer protection laws are fairly good.
Let Amazon worry about that. I've never had a problem with returns there.
Yes, I wouldn't advise anyone buys K702 unless they're happy to go through warranty process and/or happy with a soldering iron. My own soldering has not failed yet since the past 3yrs or so, so they just don't do a good job of the soldering in the factory.

K702 doesn't have a fixed cable though, it's a miniXLR removable cable, if that's what you're referring to.

3125b

Major Contributor
K702 doesn't have a fixed cable though, it's a miniXLR removable cable, if that's what you're referring to.
Thats one of the differences between it and the K612, yes.
When mine gets old enough for me to have to fix it I will, not much of a problem - I'd just prefer not to (have to) do that.

samwell7

Do you mean the wires connecting to the rods ?
I have had quite a few Superlux 'AKG copies' with the same issues.
Chalked it down to cheap labour force not giving a crap about good solder joints or having the wrong soldering equipment.

I wonder if the older Austrian made ones also have these issues.
I had a made in Austria set around 10 years ago which I used almost daily for 2ish years. I then finished uni and couldn't use them so I sold them a few years later, they were still working when I sold them.

Are the K712 pads different to the 65th anniversary pads?
I remember buying the k702 65th anniversary pads when the model just came out as I'd heard the earpads was the only difference between the two models, there was more bass with the anniversary pads.

Top Bottom